ICE DEPTHS

mrpike

Can we get some of the Ice Depths on lakes you have been on Gentlemen.    NAME of lake and depths you have measured.   Thanks

It may help on where to go fish for some people.

AND STAY SAFE OUT THERE.

Gull Lake, Minden area, Rackety trail launch 3.5 to 4.5 inches only. Water on top of ice with dangerous pressure cracks mid lake. Deep Bay barely frozen with lots of open water at creek entrance. Only 1" of snow cover on Gull so cold will thicken ice quickly. Tread with caution in many areas of lake still.

Just a reminder that just because someone reports a certain ice thickness don't assume that the whole waterbody is consistent.  For instance on Mississippi lake there is up to 15" in some areas while in another two vehicles recently went through with one death. Be careful, it's been kind of a crappy season so far with fluctuating temps.

Cheers

On 1/10/2019 at 7:45 AM, mrpike said:

Can we get some of the Ice Depths on lakes you have been on Gentlemen.    NAME of lake and depths you have measured.   Thanks

AND STAY SAFE OUT THERE.

Lake X 

8 inches :D

On 1/10/2019 at 7:45 AM, mrpike said:

AND STAY SAFE OUT THERE.

Most medium lakes are frozen now. If you don't know the lake or currents spud bar always and float jacket. Just because someone on the internet says one thing doesn't make it safe. Be smart when on ice. 

I never take anyones word on ice thickness, I always go scouting myself, to me its part of ice fishing, gets me out and about, see some cool stuff and I have no one else to blame except myself if things go south. Not that blame is particularly useful, especially to a grieving family. I have stopped responding to texts from some people asking about lake conditions. If you love doing something make the time to do it. I can sympathize with folks that don't live in an area like I do that probably has more lake acreage than land, but when folks around here are asking its just lazy and  I want to text back and tell them to stop leeching off my me and go find out themselves, or maybe to ask for payment for information gained through sacrificing time and money.

37 minutes ago, limeyangler said:

I never take anyones word on ice thickness, I always go scouting myself, to me its part of ice fishing, gets me out and about, see some cool stuff and I have no one else to blame except myself if things go south. Not that blame is particularly useful, especially to a grieving family. I have stopped responding to texts from some people asking about lake conditions. If you love doing something make the time to do it. I can sympathize with folks that don't live in an area like I do that probably has more lake acreage than land, but when folks around here are asking its just lazy and  I want to text back and tell them to stop leeching off my me and go find out themselves, or maybe to ask for payment for information gained through sacrificing time and money.

It just makes it easier for us folks here in the South. I'd gladly pay a few bucks or a coffee for a bit of info. I used to hate when I'd drive 2-3 hours to my favourite lake only to find it had 2 inches of ice. When that happens I often find myself playing the game of 'Am I going to roll the dice or write off my day plus $40+ worth of gas, bait etc'. If I have a bud that lives up in the area and says '2 inches and its not really safe' I plan the day with the missus or crossing stuff off the honey do list. 

12 minutes ago, jerpears1 said:

It just makes it easier for us folks here in the South. I'd gladly pay a few bucks or a coffee for a bit of info. I used to hate when I'd drive 2-3 hours to my favourite lake only to find it had 2 inches of ice. When that happens I often find myself playing the game of 'Am I going to roll the dice or write off my day plus $40+ worth of gas, bait etc'. If I have a bud that lives up in the area and says '2 inches and its not really safe' I plan the day with the missus or crossing stuff off the honey do list. 

Like I said, I sympathise with folks that don’t have easy access to lakes and I don’t exclude everyone who asks me for info. Having said that there are many times when I will just make time to go adventuring to check lakes, I might throw one rod in just in case. No reason for me to say the day is a write off because I could not set a line, good time to take some pictures, make an ice thickness report/ video. If I were down south I might do the same with the bonus of having somewhere close by to go for lunch. I also have to say that if I lived somewhere that meant I had to drive 3 hours to fish, I’D MOVE!

12 minutes ago, limeyangler said:

Like I said, I sympathise with folks that don’t have easy access to lakes and I don’t exclude everyone who asks me for info. Having said that there are many times when I will just make time to go adventuring to check lakes, I might throw one rod in just in case. No reason for me to say the day is a write off because I could not set a line, good time to take some pictures, make an ice thickness report/ video. If I were down south I might do the same with the bonus of having somewhere close by to go for lunch. I also have to say that if I lived somewhere that meant I had to drive 3 hours to fish, I’D MOVE!

Its not so bad when we get weather. There are local lakes that can produce and I love going to Simcoe once she finally freezes over. Can usually get to my spots in about 45. I don't mind that too much. That being said, they've closed down Little Lake access in Barrie which I used to love and Scugog has a fishing ban. While I agree with the ban on Scugog it makes getting to lakes from the big city in the winter a lot harder. Now, that being said, its a time issue as well. Back when I was contract and was laid off over the winter (and single) I'd drive 4 hours up north for a new lake. The lake have no access or no safe ice? Keep driving. I had no problem doing that for a day and figuring out hot spots, new access points and ice thickness. 

Now between the missus and work, I think I get 1 day off a month to ice fish. I can't take my vacation or my lieu time (This year its going towards our honeymoon in May) so I have to make every time I'm allowed out on my own count. Like I said, I have no problem paying a few extra bucks. Its honestly worth it. Last year I struck a deal with a cottage owner on my favorite lake.  $5 a day for a parking spot that is a 5 minute walk from my favourite spot. Sign me up!

15 minutes ago, limeyangler said:

For me something here would have to give, and I'd need a job to pay for tackle and the divorce settlement......lololol.

She's pretty good. Over the summer she loves fishing and back country camping. I think I get to fish most days from May to October. But she can't stand the cold and loves spending time with me. She'll come out when we have a warm hut and the bite is good but I remember we went out once for Crappie and got skunked in about 6 hours of fishing. She was not happy. :P

1 minute ago, jerpears1 said:

She's pretty good. Over the summer she loves fishing and back country camping. I think I get to fish most days from May to October. But she can't stand the cold and loves spending time with me. She'll come out when we have a warm hut and the bite is good but I remember we went out once for Crappie and got skunked in about 6 hours of fishing. She was not happy. :P

LOL...i'm just bugging. I'm lucky, my wife fully enables my addiction , sometimes I return home expecting an 'Intervention' type scenario waiting for me.

4 minutes ago, limeyangler said:

LOL...i'm just bugging. I'm lucky, my wife fully enables my addiction , sometimes I return home expecting an 'Intervention' type scenario waiting for me.

I think eventually my soon to be wife will get bored with me and I'll be able to get out fishing more. Specially when we have a baby, when its old enough to go fishing and when I can get it out of her hair for a few hours........ in conclusion, I'll be able to go ice fishing more in about 10 or so years. 

• Like 1

I've been on 6 lakes this year..  But no way I am saying there names online..  Been on the ice since dec 1st.  But I can say they are in Muskoka / Perry sound district.  And have had 4" + of ice for several weeks now.  Guys running sleds all of them now... 

The only one I would mention is Couch.. But everyone knows it's safe. 

This weekend (and likely the rest of the season) will be Simcoe.   Just going to be very very sketchy this weekend.  

I don't see why a member can't ask about ice thickness on a specific lake. If he is scared about letting someone know the lake he shouldn't ask or at least ask about a nearby similar type lake to cover his tracks. But really, if you want to know ice thickness you need call the local police of fire department close to the lake or a bait/tackle seller close.

Or call MNR local office and try to speak to a CO or CO supervisor.

Good luck and be careful.

Edited by cisco

On 1/11/2019 at 10:38 PM, cisco said:

I don't see why a member can't ask about ice thickness on a specific lake. If he is scared about letting someone know the lake he shouldn't ask or at least ask about a nearby similar type lake to cover his tracks. But really, if you want to know ice thickness you need call the local police of fire department close to the lake or a bait/tackle seller close.

Or call MNR local office and try to speak to a CO or CO supervisor.

Good luck and be careful.

Right. Try calling the local police or fire department for an ice thickness report. Do you really think they have set foot on the ice anywhere?  Do you think they even have a spud or an auger to check? All they know is stay off the ice. 

And try contacting a CO.....LMAO.....good luck with that. Just try it....

The only safe ice FOR ME is ice ive checked myself, that's under my feet, at the moment I'm on it. Any other reports are just hear say. 

S. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sinker said:

The only safe ice FOR ME is ice ive checked myself, that's under my feet, at the moment I'm on it. Any other reports are just hear say. 

When I hear an ice fishing report from you and what your opinion is on the ice conditions. That and seeing operators out; is my signal to haul big blue out there, to the perch grounds. I'm approx 2 1/2 hours away from Beverton and I kind of rely on some of the first hand reports that I get here. It's still my choice to head out on the ice, so i'm the only one to blame if I get into trouble.  

I Guess it's not what you listen to, it's who you listen to; that goes a long way to build my confidence; when going out for the first time of the season. Believe me I check with every operator as to when and where they have set up their huts. When I hear that they're confident pulling clients out there; I get the hut out shortly afterwards.

Dan.

Edited by DanD