Best Pike Fishing

angler lou

Pasha lake had a spike camp on the jackfish river on the north shore not sure if they still operate it. Another drive to worth looking at is st Joesph, old post lodge is on the east side of the lake and there's a camp on pashkogan as well. St Joe is a great fishery with a lot less traffic then lac seul and its far better. Don't think you will have a hard time finding some big pike there.

On 1/11/2019 at 8:13 AM, angler lou said:

Limeyangler I haven't yet found a lodge on Wabigoon that offers American Plan so if you know of one let me know.  I may need to know a name of a guide also.  Back in the days when I was a muskie hunter I remember reading about big skis caught out of Wabigoon.  

Yeah, that might be a problem on the Goon, i'm sure Eagle lake has American plan lodges though. I know a few local musky guides, if you plan coming this way I can most probably set you up with one.

I know (and have used) Bill Hamblin on Georgian Bay.  I don't know if he guides on Eagle, but as I said I'm not really interested in muskie hunting this year.  I'm pursuing the houseboat on Nipigon for now, hoping for mostly pike but also maybe trout and of course walleyes for lunch.  Thanks for your feedback.

I have a couple of suggestions.

1) Go in May or June. Big fish are shallow. September might work if you like trolling, but be prepared to work for them.

2) Forget American Plan. Added cost and it just bogs you down with schedules and mediocre food. You can BBQ everything and eat off of paper plates. Most of us don't want to cook or do dishes. I remember eating hotdogs for lunch and dinner 7 days straight (not recommended).

3) Go west of Nipigon (or to Lake Nipigon!) for improved chances at big fish. There are certainly some good choices in the east, but none are cheap. Although, Kag Lodge out of Nakina might be worth a look (rates are Canadian $ and I think they include tax, at least they used too, not sure now), maybe Brace Lake (rates also in Canadian $).

4) Pick a lake that is a good size, with a deep basin but with plenty of shallower bays and inflowing water. The bigger the better in my opinion. At least 10,000 acres. You want the lake to have pelagic fish for the pike to feed on - think ciscoes, herring, whitefish, smelt. That makes for some trophy fishing.

Couple places worth a look in my opinion:

https://oldpost.com/

https://www.thunderhook.com/ontario-fly-in-fishing/smoothrock-camp/

https://wildernessnorth.com/accommodations/strikers-point-lodge/

http://www.nighthawkcharters.ca/index.htm (Charter on Nipigon)

https://www.northsuperiorcharters.ca/

On 1/11/2019 at 2:29 PM, Reef Runner said:

I would also check out Lac Kipawa.  There are many lodges to choose from with American plans.  The main lake is very big, great laker and walleye fishing.  Ask your operator if there are any guided back lake pike options.  I went a few years ago with Eastview Cabins (sadly I think they are out of operation as I don't see their site on the www anymore). 

I've been fishing Kipawa for almost 20 years and I certainly wouldn't call it a pike lake. There are pike in there, but generally pretty few and far between and I've never seen anything over 35"-40". Most of the outfitters do not offer American Plan, though a couple do up around the Laniel area of the lake. And I will offer that Kipawa is a great lake, but it takes more than a few years to really learn the body of water and patterns of the fish depending on weather, fronts, time of day, etc. 

Hate to say it, but to get into the pike fishing I think you're looking for is not cheap. Congrats on fishing Knee and Scott lakes...those two are on my bucket list. 

Good luck. 

there is endless great quality lakes in ontario for big pike.  Like someone else mentioned Lake Muskoka has some big ones.  Georgian Bay is a pike haven in May.   Lake Nipissing have some monster as well.  Further to the west how could you go wrong with Lac Seul, nipigon or just about any lake from Thunder Bay to the Manitoba border.  

Its amazing you fishing at 80!  I sure hope im doing road trips at 80 searching for big fish!

Cheers!

Hey Lou Lake Temagami would suit you all fish variety and a number of lodges on the lake, beauty abounds I personaly have been going there for 30 yrs and the last 10 years have taken my daughter, we rent a houseboat from leisure island houseboat rentals check out their website theres all the information you need and Mike and Gwen are the children of the owner and founder, the father actually built all the houseboats, salt of the earth trustworthy wonderfull people, anyway check it out maybe good for you , beauty of it also you have the ability to go wherever you want on the lake and have the comforts of home, the boat is not one of the huge 3 buoys things but has all you need ,you will see on the website, Ive caught pike 20lbs and over, lake trout ,bass, pickerel ,whitefish, all good fishing, Mike has a great knowledge of the lake and would  recommend various spots for you to try, my daughter and I go the last week in May at the open or sometimes the first week in June, and also for a week in September, maybe see you there if you decide to go there at that time, good luck and tight lines, OH by the way Im 72 myself but still have a lot of casts left in me    regards   Bill

I would agree with a place like Lac Seul but not Temagami or Kipawa...both deep water shield lakes. The link I offered to you for Nipigon is another option. Nipigon is a shield lake but just so massive that there are pike areas. To top it off the crusie guy would know where to go. That cruise would be an experience in itself

• Like 1

As has been said here, eastern g bay can be a pike haven, but you gotta be there in the right window. I.e. second week of May through till the 3rd week in June. You also better have a guide or someone that knows where there are actually solid weedy bays otherwise you’ll find yourself driving around in uncharted water over a hell of a lot of rocks. In some ways it’s good because, to be honest at that time of year, find a shallow bay with weeds in it, there’s a great chance big momma is still hanging around nearby, but on the other hand, there are a bloody ton of shallow bays that don’t have a spec of life in them except maybe a few bedded up smallmouth hiding in the pencil reeds 2 feet from the waters edge. If you try fish it in July through august? Good luck. Then I’d recommend forgetting the pike fishing and instead enjoy some of the best smallmouth fishing the entire world has to offer.

the benefits of GBay are 1. The drive is far more more reasonable than driving from Florida to Nipigong 2. You will find a totally different type of lodge, it’s going to be more cottaging than a fly in/far north outfitter.

to me in some ways the experience of a northern outfitter is what it seems like the OP Is interested in, emulating his experience in the NWT if that’s the case go further north and catch a pile of Walleye and a ton of monster pike.

or..shorten your drive and open up your horizons to catching some smallmouth, largemouth, Walleye and the occasional pike to boot! All while enjoying some of the most beautiful scenery on the planet.

also parry sound has ok laker fishing, but you didn’t hear that from me

AKRISONER, thanks for the input on Georgian Bay.  I found a good lodge that would furnish meals, American Plan, but they didn't offer any help on finding a guide.  Their location is Key River.  If you or any others know of a good guide with a larger boat who could take on me and my two sons, baitcasting for pike and maybe some bass please advise.  You're right, it would be more convenient mileswise to hit the eastern portion of Ontario as Florida is a long way south and east from most of the usual pike havens.  Like I said, I know that Manitoba's lakes provide more ideal habitat, but I want to limit my trip destination to Ontario, preferably not the far north and west portions.

6 hours ago, angler lou said:

AKRISONER, thanks for the input on Georgian Bay.  I found a good lodge that would furnish meals, American Plan, but they didn't offer any help on finding a guide.  Their location is Key River.  If you or any others know of a good guide with a larger boat who could take on me and my two sons, baitcasting for pike and maybe some bass please advise.  You're right, it would be more convenient mileswise to hit the eastern portion of Ontario as Florida is a long way south and east from most of the usual pike havens.  Like I said, I know that Manitoba's lakes provide more ideal habitat, but I want to limit my trip destination to Ontario, preferably not the far north and west portions.

Wish I could help you out Lou, but to be honest, aside from a few locals...guides are few and far between on g bay once you get north of Parry Sound.

I know of one guide in Pointe Au Baril, but personally I wouldn’t recommend him for pike, even if he was willing to drive you around. I’ve fished with him before but it’s mostly run of the mill stuff, things you’d easily do and figure out on your own. Plus his boat is a big old kingfisher. Not the best platform for fishing bass and pike.

My concern is that you may have people willing to “guide you” but I’m not so sure that their willingness equals results.

Have you considered fishing the French river instead? I definitely know that there are multiple guides that offer services out of the area there.

the complete lack of quality guides in my area is something that has had me thinking for a while that when the right time comes along, I may just end up making the jump to get the proper insurance and safety requirements to start guiding part time in the area. For the time being though, I’m still young and enjoying the fishing with my friends...but maybe the day when everyone moves on and has families and I’m left to fish alone, I will go full out. 

Ive tested the waters a few times with close friends at both my locals and on their home lakes and ive done a pretty good job. Some day...some day

Edited by AKRISONER
Additions

On 1/9/2019 at 3:02 PM, angler lou said:

I tried 'search', but surprisingly I didn't find anything.  To introduce myself, I'm an 80 year old who began fishing in Lake of the Woods when I was a ripe ten year old boy.  First cast from the bank at Frolander's Camp I pulled in a nice walleye.  From that point forward Canada's been my favorite place to fish.  I've been lucky enough to have fished (long ago) Knee Lake, and more recently Great Slave and Scott Lake.  I've probably been spoiled as far as catching a lot of nice northerns go, but I still have yet to pull in anything bigger than 45 inches.  My two sons want to go with me this coming season and experience good fishing for maybe one last time (a lot of my schoolmates have either died or given up fishing).  I'm strapped to decide where to go.  I'm no longer a wage-earner so don't have the long green it takes to go to Manitoba or Saskatchewan.  I live in Florida now so am restricting my choices to Ontario.  Could some of you recommend where to go on an American Plan (I thought we could go to an outpost camp, but my sons don't want to have to fool with cooking).  Also, it would be good to be with a guide with a decent boat to fish three anglers.  Could some of you impart a little information on your favorite lodges?  I've looked at some on Lac Seul, and I'm also considering the east side of Georgian Bay as some expert mentioned it as a likely spot to catch big northerns.   Our calendar is open.  Anytime from May through August, but I find that in August it's hard to find northerns up shallow.  Thank you in advance for any tips you can give me.

Check out the walleye central forums. There's one for canada and its frequented by Americans that travel to Ontario all the time. Tons of advise on outfitters w/American plan offerings. Lac Soul is a popular destination for trophy fish.  They may also have recommendations for northers Manitoba and Saskatchewan outfitters because these provinces are world famous for trophy pike.

Walleye Central

Edited by KraTToR

On 1/25/2019 at 9:24 PM, KraTToR said:

Check out the walleye central forums. There's one for canada and its frequented by Americans that travel to Ontario all the time. Tons of advise on outfitters w/American plan offerings. Lac Soul is a popular destination for trophy fish.  They may also have recommendations for northers Manitoba and Saskatchewan outfitters because these provinces are world famous for trophy pike.

Walleye Central

Walleye central is a good archive if you use the search engine on lakes your considering, as far as asking the question in the general forum everyone will steer you towards the kenora area. Politics in that forum are evident, recently pasha lake cabins had a post removed for their ice fishing opportunities, Chris brock plugged my camp it to was removed but there's a ton of self promotion going on from some of the most frequent posters who also have camps and lodges in the lotw lac seul areas. They call it the Canada forum. I call it the lake of the woods forum.