Cappuccino for pennies a cup

Old Ironmaker

I've been meaning to pass on my home brew cappuccino recipe I came up with. If a cup cost 25 vents I would be surprised. I got rid of 2 cappuccino machines because that's all I did after dinner, I hadn't made 1 for me and MT cups were coming back "More please."Here it is.

All you need:

• A 4 demi tasse espresso pot.
  • A small sauce pan.
  • A hand held immersion blender
  • a good quality espresso (I use Madalglia D'oro because it is available readily at most stores) Medaglia D'oro also makes a caffeine free version and it's pretty good. 
  • 1 1/2 cups of milk approx. 

1. Make the coffee. A tip is to not compress the coffee grains to tightly. I use the back of a teaspoon or a flat lid from a spice container to lightly tamp down, lightly.
  2. In a sauce pan heat 1% or 2% milk. Just a bit more than a baby will drink it. The lower the fat the frothier it gets. 
  3. Once the milk is heated put the blender to it and you will get a good froth
  4. Spoon it into an empty cup. We use 2 large mugs so you get a double shot of espresso. 
  5. Once the cups are 3/4 full, or more, pour in the coffee. There may be some milk left, pour it into each cup.  If you save a bit of coffee you can make fancy designs on the froth. 
  6. Finish with granular sugar or sweetener of choice. Our favorite sweetener is Carolan's Irish Cream.  Stir the cup if you wish, I actually use a chopstick. 
  7. Enjoy.

That foam will stay foamy for a long time. If you want to get fancy shmansy toast espresso beans haven't added up the cost but I can say for sure it isn't the 7 bucks or more at a Barista's. Maybe 25 cents, maybe. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

1 minute ago, misfish said:

It,s the Grappa that you  add, that jumps the price up.:w00t:

I can't stomach Grappa since the last time the 2 of us polished off a bottle. That was 25 years ago. 

Fisherman I hear you. Not everyone is addicted to coffee, I am. I could make no less than 2 pots on night shift in my office plus coffees in the control rooms doing my rounds. I would fall asleep after gallons of the stuff as soon as I got in bed. The strongest coffee I have ever had was in Cuba, you need a spoon to drink it, or should I say eat it. 

• Like 1

You busted Spiel's cajones for putting onions into a carbanara, but now you advocate making espressos with pre-ground coffee! And cappuccino after lunch to boot! Mamma Mia!

I also have a 4-cup Moka pot, and enjoy making myself a pot on Saturday mornings. No milk or sugar for me, straight espresso made with just-ground dark roast beans (Costco actually has good beans for this). My wife won't touch it.

It's breakfast some where on Earth Tom. I remember one trip I made to Italy with my brothers and Dad and I ordered a Cappuccino in the afternoon, the waiter lost it, told me to go back to America if I wanted a cappuccino after 10 AM. Yes my Nono and Noni are spinning in their graves. "La tempo cambia" times change. (the translation / Italian spelling Police will be along soon.)

My Lady only drank Tea when we met 25 plus years ago, now she is addicted to java. We have a spice grinder that can chop the beans, I am lazy. I'm not positive but we, as in you and I, don't have a grocery store where we can grind our own, Maybe Zehr's in Caledonia?  At least our Food Town carries espresso now.  If there's anything I really miss since moving out to the sticks 19 years ago is a good choice for groceries. We lived a few blocks from the Hamilton Farmers market before we moved out here, I miss that the most. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

There we go. Nice countertop burr grinder, if you grind it at the store you might as well buy pre-ground. 

Yeah, it would be really nice if Foodland could step up their game. Pretty sad selection of some items, I wish they would carry some decent fresh bread. 

1 hour ago, Old Ironmaker said:

The strongest coffee I have ever had was in Cuba, you need a spoon to drink it, or should I say eat it. 

Had a guy bring in coffee from Egypt. That stuff was so strong,I was wired the whole 8 hour shift.:w00t:

7 minutes ago, ketchenany said:

Grappa in cappuccino? 

Me bad. Espresso. 50/50 was a nice blend. This is what happens when you mingle with good Italian byes. Wine making and drinking was fun, back then. Not sure I could hang and bang these days. I am sure I could start strong, but would be out in a couple of hours. LOL

Edited by misfish

1 hour ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

But at least it doesn't taste like ditch water!!!  ?

We had Italian relatives come over and my wife made espresso on those Billiatti stove models, we loved it. They thought it was dishwater!!!!!

I now run a SAECO Xsmall, does it all.  Nice foam on the espresso.

4 hours ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

I just use this.  ?

12074707_1245974542095549_77186632472299

Not in the budget, nice machine. The one on the left I gave away. Try making cappuccino for 8 people using that. 

4 hours ago, Tom S said:

There we go. Nice countertop burr grinder, if you grind it at the store you might as well buy pre-ground. 

Yeah, it would be really nice if Foodland could step up their game. Pretty sad selection of some items, I wish they would carry some decent fresh bread. 

There was a time about 23 years ago IGA now Foodlessland had the best bread going. Mom and Dad would always buy a few loaves before heading home. When the baker left so did the good bread.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Johnny the best espresso that I ever drank was a guy I worked with at that place you know on a night shift, (sad) not with us anymore.

He use to make it on the landing working on the cranes in the Caster, BOF, made it in a thing that screwed together, I guess called a espresso pot. 

Man was it ever good, he told me it was his blend, made from a few different coffees he made at home.

Tiny cup, but man, you didn't need much to keep you awake. Was a great Italian friend, passed to young :wallbash:

Edited by Fish Farmer
  • Like 1

On 1/9/2019 at 3:44 PM, DRIFTER_016 said:

I just use this.  ?

12074707_1245974542095549_77186632472299

Beauty Dave !!!!!

Married to an beautiful Italian woman , i have been spoiled for so many years  ... great food, great wine and coffee ... La Dolce Vita !!!!!

In laws still make the old style coffee using the Bialetti stovetop coffee machine , not exactly an espresso but still pretty good

Funny about the capuccino after 10 am  .... That was definitely the case in Rome ....

On 1/10/2019 at 7:34 AM, Fish Farmer said:

Johnny the best espresso that I ever drank was a guy I worked with at that place you know on a night shift, (sad) not with us anymore.

He use to make it on the landing working on the cranes in the Caster, BOF, made it in a thing that screwed together, I guess called a espresso pot. 

Man was it ever good, he told me it was his blend, made from a few different coffees he made at home.

Tiny cup, but man, you didn't need much to keep you awake. Was a great Italian friend, passed to young :wallbash:

Unfortunately lots of the old guys are gone.. I tell you, we could use some of them now to straighten out the new generation!. Those guys kept the place going didn't they.. Someone to make good coffee as well.. Not that I drink espresso but I always loved the smell! 

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 6:24 PM, SirCranksalot said:
40 minutes ago, pics said:

Unfortunately lots of the old guys are gone.. I tell you, we could use some of them now to straighten out the new generation!. Those guys kept the place going didn't they.. Someone to make good coffee as well.. Not that I drink espresso but I always loved the smell! 

a lot more hassle than going thru Timmies drive thru!!!

Yes Pics I'm sure I wouldn't recognize the place. But you guys are making a profit now, not when the plant was an employment factory with us oldtimers like Dave and I running the joint.

Yes Timmies is easier, but that's 700 or so more bucks a year for tackle that I save. There were days more than 2 a day. I don't get out much these days but when I do I don't pass many Timmy's. We actually have 1 in Haldimand County now, 1. You never know, might even get a stop light some day!!

Edited by Old Ironmaker