Chum can

SirCranksalot

8 hours ago, SirCranksalot said:

i have heard of folks making a very simple chum can somehow out of a normal 'soup' can.  Anyone done this? How is it made? thx  

Thing of the past Harold. I used 1 coat hanger and a soup can. Easy peezy. The one in the link is a bit over complicated IMO.

Edited by misfish

I've made a few of these chum funnels before. For the sake of scale, the bolts are 1/4 inch in size.

The first one I made, I found the funnel in the kitchen cupboard; wife never did find out where it went.

Dan.chumming_funnel1.jpg

chumming_funnel2.jpg

chumming_funnel3.jpg

18 minutes ago, Jds63 said:

LOL

no need to overcomplicate  ...

take chum , put hand sized rock in with chum add water and freeze in a container

take frozen rock and chum and drop down hole  .... it works  !!!!!

Well at least there's 2 of us that know this simple method works like a charm.  If you're real lucky, the rock will knock out the fish and it will come floating up for an easy catch. ?

• Like 2

I have never fished on the ice, but I made one years ago out of a plastic mustard container with a screw on lid. It was a bigger item though, like 1/2 gallon? I put a small screw eye with a couple of fender washers and a nut holding the eye to the lid and a 3-4 ounce lead weight bolted to the bottom and drilled 1/4 inch holes in the container.

The plan was to attach a piece of parachute cord to the eye and drag it along the bottom on a drift an create a chum line, or tie it to a tree or dock and have it as a fish attract-er.

22 hours ago, SirCranksalot said:

that funnel looks interesting. What's the purpose of the bolt on the lid---just to add weight/ I assume you need a friction fit between the lid and the funnel?

The bolt has two jobs; on the way down it helps to keep the lid from opening. When the funnel is on the bottom and you lift up on the retrieval line; the funnel flips upside down and the weight of the bolt helps to pull the lid open. 

Dan.