Jump to content

NAW

Quinte in Late Jan / Early Feb

Recommended Posts

I have never fished Quinte before.  But I have a few days off mid week Jan 30 to Feb 1st. 


We thinking about heading down that way for 2 nights. 

I have been doing some general research on the area and know some spots that I want to try, near Belleville.   But I am just wondering if it's worth the drive down that time of year.  

 

It's my understanding that the walleye are NOT in there all year, at by that time, they may have already moved further out the bay.

Certainly not asking for anyone's honey hole.  Just wondering your thoughts on where the walleye this time year. 

Depths, lures, etc.. 

 

Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

 

I posted this in "fishing news" by accident as well.  Still getting used to the site. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know next to nothing about Quinte, is there a river there that has a walleye spawning run? After following the Lake Erie fall brawl thing here it seemed like some of those big fish may have been moving closer to spawning grounds, just not a place you could expect to have a reasonable chance to catch them after early spring.

This article is from my area, but I would imagine that the lures he mentions might not be a bad choice anywhere?

https://www.cleveland.com/outdoors/2019/01/fishing-report-for-friday-jan-4-lake-erie-streams-clearing-after-new-years-eve-winds-wet-weather.html?fbclid=IwAR3RUV26lGu9AoCeQdgIM4EZ0Cl5Nypm38mk2P_oIMIDO2xQJEXEAQW0S5k

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i wish i had intel but ive always wanted to try ice fish quinte as well. Global warming etc just keeps making all of these spots less and less available every year. The window to fish these kind of spots is either non existent or very tiny.

Bloody simcoe is hardly safe, and its the middle of january! Bucket list spot for me, add it to Parry sound for lake trout, i may never see the opportunity to ice fish it in my life time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • It is my experience that Jan 1 was the best fishing. That doesn't mean the place is empty of Pics after that. Hit the narrows where fish must pass to get to the lake and where baitfish congregate. It is no secret as to where they may be when you go, find the huts and maybe find the fish. Good luck Kiddo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You wont know if you don't go. I'd go. I fish there quite a bit. If there's ice, there will be fish. PM me if you need details, hell, I may even be able to join you and show you around a bit.  The fish are moving INTO the bay in the winter from Lake O. They spawn in the rivers and stage in the bay, so the later the better. That said, first ice is the best time to go. I've caught them all times of the year though. 

S. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the tips so far everyone!

 

I have been browsing the quinte board, but didn't want to sign up just to ask one question.  

 

And Sinker, man if your around, I'd love to meet up.   I may fire you a PM a little closer to the date. 

 

Thanks again everyone!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do not cheap out on terminal tackle and quality of wire hooks on your choice of hardware. I have seen a good quality snap swivel straighten out like cheap Chinese wire. No skinny panfish rods and reels. I used a Shimano baitcaster reel on a heavy ice fishing rod. The locals use the bottom 1/2 of a good heavy rod and glue an eye on the end of it. This is not finesse fishing, when you get a 10 pound girl on you will know it. Where we fished no sleds were needed, maybe a par 3 to the fish from shore. 

Fire me a PM bud and I will try and get you onto the fish. An old pal from Hamilton has or had a trailer park there. That was our spot. I don't know if he still has it, the kids that aren't kids any longer may be running it. We would stay at a motel just down the road and a small restaurant right across hwy 2 from the motel that opens very early. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, NAW said:

Thanks for all the tips so far everyone!

 

I have been browsing the quinte board, but didn't want to sign up just to ask one question.  

 

And Sinker, man if your around, I'd love to meet up.   I may fire you a PM a little closer to the date. 

 

Thanks again everyone!

Shoot me a message of you go. I work that week, off the 2nd and 3rd. I can show you a few spots to try. 

 

S. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Ice fished there for decades.Main thing was emerald shiners and stinger hooks On jigging raps small spoons etc

Edited by ehg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ehg said:

 Ice fished there for decades.Main thing was emerald shiners and stinger hooks On jigging raps small spoons etc

 

Copy that, on the live bait!  I'm not going to mess around with plastics..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Fire me a PM bud and I will try and get you onto the fish. An old pal from Hamilton has or had a trailer park there. That was our spot. I don't know if he still has it, the kids that aren't kids any longer may be running it. We would stay at a motel just down the road and a small restaurant right across hwy 2 from the motel that opens very early. 

Talking about Sam?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NAW said:

 

Copy that, on the live bait!  I'm not going to mess around with 

4 hours ago, NAW said:

 

Copy that, on the live bait!  I'm not going to mess around with plastics..

 

Macho minnow/mr. Champs and buckshots have been working best for me. Gold is always my go to. Sidewinders, smoothies, and jiggin raps are always in the line up too. I prefer mud minnows to shiners, as do most quinte anglers. 

If you want spots to try, pm me. I wont post those details online, but be happy to help. I was there all weekend. Kinda slow saturday evening but sunday morning was decent. 

 

S. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jonasdry said:

Talking about Sam?

You got it. I don't even know if he's still sitting on the porch running the place. I've never seen him move more than 10' at a time other than to feed the 70 or more cats there. I always passed when he made Rabbit stew!!!!!!!! He's a character for shooo. I remember going to his parents butcher shop on Ottawa St in Hamilton in the early 60's with Dad. They were pissans. 

Like most places action is first light and dusk. Many times we packed it up at 10AM and came back at 4. Perch can be good all day. Bring all the weapons of mass distraction. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Sinker said:

Macho minnow/mr. Champs and buckshots have been working best for me. Gold is always my go to. Sidewinders, smoothies, and jiggin raps are always in the line up too. I prefer mud minnows to shiners, as do most quinte anglers. 

If you want spots to try, pm me. I wont post those details online, but be happy to help. I was there all weekend. Kinda slow saturday evening but sunday morning was decent. 

 

S. 

 

 

You can probably thank me for the hot bite Sunday morning.  I decided to leave Saturday night lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

You got it. I don't even know if he's still sitting on the porch running the place. I've never seen him move more than 10' at a time other than to feed the 70 or more cats there. I always passed when he made Rabbit stew!!!!!!!! He's a character for shooo. I remember going to his parents butcher shop on Ottawa St in Hamilton in the early 60's with Dad. They were pissans. 

Like most places action is first light and dusk. Many times we packed it up at 10AM and came back at 4. Perch can be good all day. Bring all the weapons of mass distraction. 

My dad and my uncle both had trailers at Sam's place for a number of years. From the late 80's to the mid 90's. I spent many days up there during the summer break when I was a school kid.

I go up there with friends now, always out of Deseronto. I would love to retire up that way one day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Chuck Enwinde said:

You can probably thank me for the hot bite Sunday morning.  I decided to leave Saturday night lol.

Thanks for that lol.....we got 6 between 3 of us. Saw lots caught too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

17 hours ago, Sinker said:

Macho minnow/mr. Champs and buckshots have been working best for me. Gold is always my go to. Sidewinders, smoothies, and jiggin raps are always in the line up too. I prefer mud minnows to shiners, as do most quinte anglers. 

If you want spots to try, pm me. I wont post those details online, but be happy to help. I was there all weekend. Kinda slow saturday evening but sunday morning was decent. 

 

S. 

 

 

Thanks Sinker!  PM Sent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/7/2019 at 1:59 PM, AKRISONER said:

i wish i had intel but ive always wanted to try ice fish quinte as well. Global warming etc just keeps making all of these spots less and less available every year. The window to fish these kind of spots is either non existent or very tiny.

Bloody simcoe is hardly safe, and its the middle of january! Bucket list spot for me, add it to Parry sound for lake trout, i may never see the opportunity to ice fish it in my life time.

Actually, the window to fish quinte is quite huge. Guys have been fishing it since late november/early december thru the ice. The season is open for all but 10 weeks of the year, so you cant say the window is small or non existent. The window hardly closes, you just have to go do it. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sinker said:

Actually, the window to fish quinte is quite huge. Guys have been fishing it since late november/early december thru the ice. The season is open for all but 10 weeks of the year, so you cant say the window is small or non existent. The window hardly closes, you just have to go do it. 

 

There’s no way I’m venturing onto quinte knowing nothing unless it’s January and I’m sure the ice is good. 

 

Unless someone that knows wants to take me lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Here's Sams number. 1-613-396-2160. My pal talked to him today, he said to bring the boat, zero ice. 

Hoping by Jan 30th, it will be tight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

There’s no way I’m venturing onto quinte knowing nothing unless it’s January and I’m sure the ice is good. 

 

Unless someone that knows wants to take me lol

Well, now is your chance I guess....Its mid jan, and the ice is good. Just sayin. 

S. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...