A day on the ice, a day on the river

Dutch01

My buddy Natty and I hit a lake "north of Barrie" yesterday for our first ice fish of the season. Lakers were closed but this lake also has Whitefish, Walleye, Ling and Herring and they're open. We setup in 56 feet and started fishing. I had no shortage of marks on the finder all day, but I just couldn't get them to bite. My buddy Natty always tries something different and it often works out for him. This day was no different as he caught a small laker on a pinkie (!!!). That was it for the day, but I still loved it. I got pretty sick in Feb 18 and my ice season ended early so it was really awesome to be back on ice again.

Today I hit a GTA trib with my buddy Frankie. It was pretty cold early on (you had to clear your eyelets every two drifts) but it eventually warmed up and was a nice day. Called it quits and was home around lunchtime.

Two days, no fish, and I had a blast and feel great. Gotta love it. I'll be at it again Wednesday and Saturday. Lakers will be open at least!

I hope everyone has a safe and happy New Year and all the best to you in 2019!

Dutch

76A26101-9D85-4187-B75B-7309A8BF932D.jpeg

Edited by Dutch01
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dutch01 said:

Thanks! The only thing MORE frustrating than that is seeing NO marks in your finder. At least I knew there were fish down there!

Fingers crossed tomorrow is better fishing ?

Fingers crossed for you. I took the day off to go for lakers as they open today. I'm sitting this one out as it is -31℃ this morning, God only knows what that is if you add windchill. Gonna wait till this afternoon when it warms up to abalmy -22℃ and chase walleye closer to home. It at least gave me a chance to try and sort out my rods early this morning, ever start something then wish you hadn't?.....lol.

IMG_7796.thumb.JPG.fd16ea8bf2a23019d3db6b9336e8d9a0.JPG

-31C is pretty damn cold! We went to Nipissing last year and it was blowing real good when we got to the ice bungalow. When the operator popped by the next day to check on us he said it was -45C with the wind chill the night before ?

Needless to say I sat by the fireplace all night with a rum in hand ?

Edited by Dutch01

5 hours ago, misfish said:

I just got the ice ducer on the finder. Almost ready,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Next, drill on the auger,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Nice report bud.

I used my new Fin bore 8" today with my clam plate and Milwaukee. The 8" fin  bore cuts like a dream, better than my old 6" swede bore. I would really only use my gas auger now if I were going away for days with  no way to charge my batteries. This thing is brilliant!

Edited by Dutch01
  • Haha 1

It's an M18 cordless though I'm not sure exactly which model number (I am at work and can't check). I don't even think it's a fuel version, but it works great anyways.

I am going to keep my gas auger cause it's paid for, but I'm not sure when it will get  any use ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Actually it's powering my 8" Finbore without any issues so far. It's a new auger so sharp blades probably help. Hope the drill lasts, it's a sweet setup. Although I bought a clam extension and they're crap (not true/straight so the auger and/or clam plate wobble around). So it looks like I'll have to stoop when the ice gets thick.

• 2 weeks later...