Temperature Level

DRIFTER_016

• 2 weeks later...

coldest i ever experienced was in Flin Flon

January 12th 1996. It was -39 with 40kmh winds...it was actually too dangerous for us to catch the bus to school, so they cancelled buses on a day with no snow.

for me a kid it seemed not far from any other day, -30 hurts and that was normal, so -39 doesnt hurt a lot more lol.

however my mom went and swept of the porch to get rid of some blowing snow for about a minute and ended up permanently damaging her ears with frostbite.

We do get the odd day in Ontario, this past weekend it was 25 below in pointe au baril...had the classic nose freezing feeling, -30's though is when yours eyes stick when you blink.

Edited by AKRISONER

Worst I ever experienced was living in tents in Wainwright, AB in Jan '81, -52 with windchill.  Had a tire on my jeep trailer break, a piece actually broke off, you could see inside but the tire wouldn't flatten it was so cold.  Naphtha would barely light, had 2 tanks for the coleman stove, at 1 hr 55 mins for 2 minutes you'd put the next full tank on the stove to warm it up.  you talk about peeing icicles.  Anything with a motor ran 24/7, if it died or you shut it off,  3 hail marys to get it to start again.

9 hours ago, Fisherman said:

Worst I ever experienced was living in tents in Wainwright, AB in Jan '81, -52 with windchill.  Had a tire on my jeep trailer break, a piece actually broke off, you could see inside but the tire wouldn't flatten it was so cold.  Naphtha would barely light, had 2 tanks for the coleman stove, at 1 hr 55 mins for 2 minutes you'd put the next full tank on the stove to warm it up.  you talk about peeing icicles.  Anything with a motor ran 24/7, if it died or you shut it off,  3 hail marys to get it to start again.

Lol that’s the classic, these southern  ontarioans don’t know about driving on square tires lol 

thats when you knew it was cold the tires went thump thump thump as you drove lol

sleds and anything else that you wanted to run had to stay somewhere warm. When the weather broke and it got above -25 below again, everyone was out fishing because nothing ran when it was too cold. 

My stupid brother nearly died one night, him and a friend decided to go ice fishing, sure enough when they went to start the sled, it was a no go. Just too damn cold. 

They had an ice shack to stay in but ended up breaking into another shack to get fire wood to survive the night. 

Said it was the coldest longest night of his life sitting in that shack waiting until the temps rose enough the following day to get the sled running again.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

Lol that’s the classic, these southern  ontarioans don’t know about driving on square tires lol 

thats when you knew it was cold the tires went thump thump thump as you drove lol

Yesterday and today were square tire days here.  ;)