Cordless drill for 8" Auger set up?

Garcia96

He's ladies and gents I just bought the Sail brand 8" auger with drill adaptor, was wondering what's a good drill? been reading online and got hundreds of different opinions. It's a little overwhelming.  have a older 18v dealt and also a 20v dewalt ion. What's your guys cordless set up?

Edited by Garcia96

I've got my Dewalt 20v on a 8in finbore and after a few holes (Depending on ice thickness) she'll start to smoke a bit.  I'd definitely look into the M18 Fuel line if you wanna turn that thing all day without any issues.   Early season ice however (6-8in) cuts through like butter with no problems.  We're talking 12-18in where it will start to overheat.

Edited by BillM

8" with fuel gen 2 brushless through 10" of ice. 10 sec

Same set up through 18" of ice. You need to lift and clear when you got thick ice. With the 8". I have gone to a 6 now and it,s like Bill said. Cuts like a hot knife through butter.

I run a fuel with a 6 inch auger.  It will make Swiss cheese of ice.  I ran a 6 inch on a standard Milwaukee compact with 500 inch/lbs for a couple of years with no problems whatsoever.  I only upgraded to the fuel because I wanted a hammer drill anyway and Home Depot had a special last year with an impact driver and 5ah batteries.  It’s pretty awesome and I can get 50 holes on a charged 5ah battery through a foot of ice and that was with the Milwaukee compact.  Haven’t tried it with the fuel. My buddy uses the dewalt but he was already invested in dewalt tools and batteries.  He runs a 6 inch as well but I don’t think he’d chance the 8 due to plenty of user feedback that the dewalts can’t handle the 8 inch for very long. 

Edited by porkpie

1 hour ago, Garcia96 said:

Thanks for all the replies everyone! For the guys using the 20v dewalts is it the $130 one or the 400? Ixr I think it's called. 

Do not sell out the dewalt so fast. Last year walking out at 6 am, both Terry and I came across a set up left behind. Turned out it had fell off a smitty. I was able to get a hold of the owner. Need less to say, since I found it,I thought why not give it a try. Sitting out on the ice for 12+ hours over night, it worked just fine and cut my holes for the morning.LOL It was a 20 volt drill.

Edited by misfish

Here is some info from the K-Drill site, the info should be the same as for any drill. I just got a Milwaukee Fuel 18 to use with my new HT Nero Auger, very excited to test it out!

• Side Stabilizer Arm (for a secure two-handed grip)
  • 1/2” Drill Chuck
  • 18 Volt/4 Amp Lithium Ion Battery (or higher)
  • Brushless Motor Design
  • 500-750 RPM with a minimum of
  • Minimum 725 in/lbs or 820 UWO of torque

These drills are officially approved for K-Drill use:

Milwaukee Models: #2703-22, #2704-22, #2709-22, #2803, #2810-22, 2803 and 2804.

DeWalt Models: #DCD991P2, #DCD996P2, #DCD997B, #DCD997P2-BT, #DW124K

• Like 1