fish finder upgrade - lowrance hook 2 - splitshot/tripleshot

rob v

Hello OFC members -  I've been a member for quite some time and really enjoy the information that's shared on this site.  I'm a weekend fisherman that really enjoys fishing but doesn't get out near as much he'd like to.   Retirement is only a few years away and I'm hoping with a bit more free time I'll have more time to devote to my fishing.   I don't post much  because quite frankly I don't have near as much to share as some on this board -  and I mean that in a good way since there's clearly some very knowledgable people on this board.    I am looking to spend some of my "sock drawer money" and upgrading my fishfinder/sonar to something more current.   It's been suggested to me to consider the lowrance hook 2 line up.  Some of the research I've done suggests it's a  pretty good/simple unit that has most of the newer features at a reasonable price and it's an improvement on the original line of hook 2 units - so it's got my attention.  I'm not concerned about the fact I can't network the unit or link it to my mind kota trolling motor.   I'm looking for a unit that provides me with the basics.    Does anyone have any real life experience with this unit ?   I like reading the various reviews on the sites selling them, but I'm a little leery of some of the information on those sites.   I'd appreciate any info anyone has to offer.  Thanks and happy new year !

Honestly man, these day's it's hard to go wrong with either Humminbird or Lowrance.. especially when comparing the lower end units like you mentioned. If your just looking for a simple graph with some extra options it's hard to beat what you have picked out. 

A lot of guys will argue this like it's chevy vs ford vs mopar in the 70's.. brand loyalty means nothing nowadays and all units have ups and downs.

For the money this is hard to beat https://www.cabelas.ca/product/107619?productVariantId=298593&gclid=Cj0KCQiAsJfhBRCaARIsAO68ZM7YxfmaUjvC06a8537HlWtnLEA_Qdw43Y5sufSgR5WdoKpRHtwaK00aAsosEALw_wcB

• Like 1

Good to hear from you Rob. Long time

I have a saying about finders. KISS

I have my 4x elite and 5x elite. Simple machines to use, once you figure them out. My new addition, bird 598 is a brain scratcher for me, but getting there. It,s got fancy things like di.si. GPS as well,  it is a nice feature. First for me. Always used land marks.LOL

Anyhoo, I know I was no help, but nice to see ya here.

• Like 1

I just bought a Lowrance as it was a very good sale price but all the newer models I looked at were very user friendly. The best thing to do is go to bass pro and play with all the ones in your price range. The guy I talked to there was very good and informative. I bought a Lowrance Elite I like the touchscreen and the price was right. GPS sonar combo with side imaging 

17 minutes ago, Loonietoon said:

Rob, Get a hold of Monty or Jos at Angling Outfitters in Woodstock... They will help you out a lot ...Best thing is free upgrades whenever needed and they know their stuff. Free Seminars in the Fall also. Tell them what you are looking for and they will help you. Hope this helps

thanks -  that's exactly what I've done -  and that will likely be where i purchase something.  just hoping to find someone who owns one of these units and get some firsthand intel

2 hours ago, Garnet said:

Took my buddy to Angler Outfitters when looking for fish finder.

My buddy said to Monty "I cant decide weather to buy 7 or 9.

Monty walked over turned the 7 on and turn 9 on.

Pretty funny and we all know what happened. 

I assume the 9 was purchased ?

23 hours ago, tomkat said:

Looking forward to trying side scan never tried it before

If you fish Erie, use it to mark walleye schools off the side (they will show up) mark waypoint and troll over them at targeted depth.  It’s unreal!

Edited by porkpie

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 9:53 PM, porkpie said:

If you fish Erie, use it to mark walleye schools off the side (they will show up) mark waypoint and troll over them at targeted depth.  It’s unreal!

And I have been told side scan is useless here on Erie. Why wouldn't it be useful here? Especially with planners. Now I know who is full of it, again. I will be in the market this year for new electronics after I heal up. I'll will be going strait to Woodstock. I have talked to Jos a few times and he knows his stuff and doesn't make you feel like an idiot like some places do.