Death of a Boat

JoePa

Brian the river is famous for the small mouth bass population. It is a series of shallow water and rifts with a hard rocky bottom. You will find up to class 3 rapids between stretches that takes a special kind of boat and motor to run. The bottom of the boats are usually beefed up aluminum and some even have a hard plastic shield like the puck boards on a hockey rink. The Motors are a jet drive which draws water from the underside and accelerates it thru a snail shell cone providing thrust out the back for propulsion. Reverse is achieved by a bucket that drops over the drive outlet and redirects the water. The controls are moved forward to give you a better view of what is coming up before you hit it. My boat has an air boat steering assy on the left and the throttle on the right side. They are a very flat bottomed and wide boat to ride on top of the water making them draft less than 4 inches on plane. The motor is actually slightly higher or even with the bottom of the boat so damage is limited depending on what you hit. 

Art

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Like Art says, that river is known for it's smallmouth fishery, and that smallmouth crush guys has other videos on it, they even have yak videos by another guy fishing that river, but not in that spot! What a mess, sort of surprised they let it sit out there that long, you would think there would be concern about fuel leakage into the river?

I use to fish this river further north for small mouth bass by wading into the water and casting stone catties out towards the middle and letting them drift down with the current - stone catfish are small catfish that we would catch by lifting up rocks and letting them drift into a small hand held net down stream from the rock picked up - they were only 3 to 5 inches long but the bass went crazy over them - this river was at one time considered the best small mouth fishery in the country - haven't fished it in many years - there are also musky and walleye in this river - it starts somewhere in New York and flows thru Pa. and finally ends up in the Chesapeake Bay

3 hours ago, Tom S said:

The Susquehanna is actually one of my bucket list rivers. I'd prefer to fish it from a raft or driftboat though, pretty crazy water to be taking a powerboat through.

Tom with a power boat you can fish more of what the river has to offer. The thrill of running a boat thru the thin water and rapids is amazing. Find the right guide and try it you will not regret it. 

Art

• Like 1

That river reminds me so much of The Ottawa River where we had a hunt and fish camp. It wasn't far upstream of where they white water raft. You don't want a breakdown and drift too far downstream. I don't know if I would venture through the fast water today. I was the only member that didn't take out a prop or worse. 

There used to be a hat company close by the Susquahanna.