Spruced up an old ranger tiller

tomkat

I used a 3m aerosol for the compartment lids and for the floor it came in a bucket from Home Depot and I used a notched trowel don’t remember the name but it was for outdoor carpet / vinyl . It seemed to adhere well hopefully it lasts. When using the 3m for the lids you need to be very precise with placement as there is no movement after it’s down. I got the vinyl at bass pro across the border as I didn’t see it advertised in the Canadian stores but I was told they do have it here? Think I was around 300 bucks for the vinyl. I had never done it before and I think it was easier to work with than carpet would be.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tomkat said:

I used a 3m aerosol for the compartment lids and for the floor it came in a bucket from Home Depot and I used a notched trowel don’t remember the name but it was for outdoor carpet / vinyl . It seemed to adhere well hopefully it lasts. When using the 3m for the lids you need to be very precise with placement as there is no movement after it’s down. I got the vinyl at bass pro across the border as I didn’t see it advertised in the Canadian stores but I was told they do have it here? Think I was around 300 bucks for the vinyl. I had never done it before and I think it was easier to work with than carpet would be.

Thanks tomkat, that's what I bought from Home Depot

Only problem was after taking the carpet of the doors was the gap from carpet to the vinyl.

Had to glue some wood strips to take up the gap on the aluminum doors.

This is only one section of the floor, have a few more sections to do, winter project.

EaX8Y2Z.jpg

AWjGUb2.jpg

w1OkEzn.jpg

xVXxNRK.jpg

Edited by Fish Farmer

I also took the hinges off so I could get the vinyl wrapped completely. It was a real pain on the ranger lids I had to drill the rivets out and afterwards I couldn’t reuse the holes so I had to offset the hinges on the boat and lids. I only had 1 flush floor compartment the rest were all on the sides and fit on top.

• Like 1

I did drill out the rivets from the frame but not off the doors it self. I set the doors in the frame so you could see the gap.

Left the hinge on the lid, there is a space to get the vinyl in between hinge and lid.

I have heavy rivets that I'd bought at Princes Auto that will work.

What a job trying to get the old glue off the lids I used brake cleaner and carburetor cleaner , what a mess:wallbash::D

UehssS6.jpg

Edited by Fish Farmer

Dave, I've done more than a few floors in the last few winters. 3M is the best, beware make sure the material is exactly where you want it. Once on it is a chore to take off within minutes. The trowel notch size is very important based on the instructions of the adhesive, very important. I don't remember exactly which HD adhesive we used. The warmer the adhesive the better it goes on. Make sure the area is well ventilated and use one of those Comfo 2 respirators you may have borrowed from the plant with the proper cartridge, type 2 is all purpose. If not you may think you were in Woodstock. I didn't read the entire thread so I may have said something already pointed out. We got the marine vinyl from a place in Orillia I think, I didn't take the trips. I'll check my iboat.com file to check. That's site is a good one for any boat owner. 

23 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Dave, I've done more than a few floors in the last few winters. 3M is the best, beware make sure the material is exactly where you want it. Once on it is a chore to take off within minutes. The trowel notch size is very important based on the instructions of the adhesive, very important. I don't remember exactly which HD adhesive we used. The warmer the adhesive the better it goes on. Make sure the area is well ventilated and use one of those Comfo 2 respirators you may have borrowed from the plant with the proper cartridge, type 2 is all purpose. If not you may think you were in Woodstock. I didn't read the entire thread so I may have said something already pointed out. We got the marine vinyl from a place in Orillia I think, I didn't take the trips. I'll check my iboat.com file to check. That's site is a good one for any boat owner. 

Thanks Johnny, I've got my vinyl flooring now, I've read about gluing the vinyl and it came up with stuff they say is water base and you have time to move it a little, it doesn't dry right away.

Some have used contact cement but you only have one chance after it makes contact.

Good luck Dave.  It's the 3M spray I was referring to as not moving once set. The liquid is more forgiving. I was thinking of removing the old 24 year old carpet which is in good shape on the StarCraft and putting down vinyl myself. A checker plate type finish . I have more important things on the list of to do's as well as the $$$.