Spruced up an old ranger tiller

tomkat

51 minutes ago, BillM said:

That motor won't die, who are you kidding  :) :)

Did say it would die,just out last it.LOL

What year is the ranger ? 87,88 ? My old ranger was built like a tank. Not like the ones today.

Just ask Art. He has a tank as well.

Edited by misfish

The boat is a 1991. The motor is 2018. So I might now have more money into the boat than makes sense! But I will keep it for a long time and it suits me. 17 feet long and 80 inches wide just barely fits in the garage. I had 2 similar sized aluminum boats and I prefer fishing out of this one. It’s a popular boat with musky guys in the states and I saw a few guys fixing them up. Very smooth quiet ride and pretty roomy for a small boat doesn’t get blown around by the wind as much as my last boats. 

D1185E87-6D16-415C-A0CE-9363B216EFB9.jpeg

Very, very nicely done. She's a beauty and a keeper. Being a keeper it doesn't matter if you went above what fair market value of the girl, are you going to flip it soon? I didn't think so. I can tell you she's going to be a head turner at the ramp this coming season. I'm not a glasser guy but if I was she would be a Ranger. Way to go me man, great job!!! 

I have to add invest some good money into a quality travel or mooring cover. My personal choice is Sunbrella. It will last years and keep her dry. A big mistake people make is thinking a good vinyl floor will keep the water out of the hull, it eventually won't. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

It’s pretty good But when you look up close it has some wear and tear. I might try and buff it with a 2 stage system. I did it with a single stage and it helped a bit but I think it can polish up better. I saw some before and after pics of similar boats and they clean up pretty good.

21 hours ago, tomkat said:

Yamaha is 50hp the Johnson was a 60. The boat is rated for 65 hp max. I would have rather got a 60hp but the deal on the Yamaha was too good to pass up. Should get around 30 mph give or take.

Nice! I love tillers. Wouldn't have anything but.