Jump to content

Dutch01

Reluctant PSA

Recommended Posts

thanks, I didn't know that

I'm sure the cops are aware of what's going on, they just prefer to write traffic tickets

I've had 3 co workers die recently, really young too, the cause of death is always covered up, I'm thinking this is a powerful and dangerous drug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bassman87 said:

why not report whatever those incidients were?

You do it your way when you're down there.  I'm there to fish, not sit around waiting for cops to fill out a report.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SirCranksalot said:

You trying to stir up trouble again D1 posting that PSA!!!??? ???

Right???

I'll probably just skip it next time! ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dutch01 said:

Right???

I'll probably just skip it next time! ?

Thick skin bud,thick skin.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i know the area you speak of, i do not venture south of a certain spot, its too quiet and closed in, when i go there, i fish the spots that are frequented by many passer by.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/26/2018 at 8:31 PM, verno said:

 

A lot of heavy drug use in the bush around the creek.  Desperate drug addicts don't care who they hurt to get their next fix.  The Methadone clinic is about 200 meters from the creek down there and the bike path that follows the creek makes a great highway for people that want to stay off the main street and out of sight.  The bush surrounding the creek is a Rabbit's warren and there are increasingly bigger tent cities growing in it.  Those tent cities attract drug users and those violent people that want to prey on drug users.  

If you look at the link below the problem is severe enough that the city has converted mailboxes to accept used needles.  3 of the locations are along the creek.

https://www.oshawa.ca/residents/public-space-harm-reduction-needle-drop-boxes-.asp

And its not just your stereotypical junkie either.  Our former neighbour who was doing well in life, owned her home and had at least 12 yrs into a mortgage that we lived next to her, worked downtown in the TD IT dept.  Died of an OD days after getting out of rehab.  She wasn't a violent predator, but I'm sure she had violent predators at her house by the looks of some of the characters I saw before we moved.

was this just within the last month?  my g/f cousin just passed from an od and this sounds very very familiar to her circumstances

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, verno said:

Could be.  Her name was Jodie.  Awesome girl, but that crap got it's hooks in to her.

That's her,  she was a good person. We hadnt seen her for few years, and I guess that was why. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Adequate protection is not a cell phone. Avoiding certain areas is wise, but the problem is not entirely geographic. While it is worse in South Oshawa than other places, unfortunately, this problem is not limited to Oshawa. There was a murder near here this summer, by a swarming gang of teen thugs. Guy was found in the St Lawrence river. The drugs that are around today are a scourge on our society. I agree with the OP in his statement about not being alone, but I would add, day or night.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 10:32 PM, chris.brock said:

thanks, I didn't know that

I'm sure the cops are aware of what's going on, they just prefer to write traffic tickets

I've had 3 co workers die recently, really young too, the cause of death is always covered up, I'm thinking this is a powerful and dangerous drug

Sorry to hear that Chris. But I can't get my head around any cover up of 3 civilian's. What would be the purpose? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2019 at 10:39 PM, Old Ironmaker said:

Sorry to hear that Chris. But I can't get my head around any cover up of 3 civilian's. What would be the purpose? 

The purpose would be respect for the deceased and the family of the deceased. It's a bad stigma if someone dies from a drug overdose. I totally get that and don't blame them for keeping the details to private.

Edited by chris.brock

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2019 at 11:56 PM, Out4Trout said:

Adequate protection is not a cell phone. Avoiding certain areas is wise, but the problem is not entirely geographic. While it is worse in South Oshawa than other places, unfortunately, this problem is not limited to Oshawa. There was a murder near here this summer, by a swarming gang of teen thugs. Guy was found in the St Lawrence river. The drugs that are around today are a scourge on our society. I agree with the OP in his statement about not being alone, but I would add, day or night.

 

Things are getting scary down in Athens are they Len?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/26/2018 at 9:49 AM, JoePa said:

Well let me tell you guys something - for years I did a lot of camping and fishing at night being by myself - never worried about a thing - why - because I had a pistol grip short barreled shogun in my camper and carried a 38 special - you'd be surprised how that makes the difference on how you feel - I know your laws are different up there but i keep saying that someday people will realize that it is a basic right to be able to feel safe no matter where you go -

The other thing I'd like to comment on is how Dutch is so reluctant to tell the whole story for fear of offending someone even if he is telling the truth - I know this is common but isn't it a shame that a person can't speak the truth anymore because of PC -

Not such great advice, because in 99.9% of situations in Canada any culprit would not be carrying a firearm themselves and as such if you were to god forbid pull the trigger you would be finding yourself facing a first degree murder charge. Especially because you have clearly brought the weapon with you wherever you have gone.

its no different than carrying a knife. I know plenty of people who carry a knife on them. They don’t realize that if they ever use it on someone they will be getting an attempted murder / murder charge.

i hope the police do their jobs effectively to stop the problem. If you choose to turn a blind eye though and be complacent you are potentially part of the problem. I understand that most of us feel that we can hold our own, but perhaps some neighborhood kids go for a bike ride or hike down the wrong path. We all have a job to be dilligent.

im on a streak now of 6 consecutive trips through barrie stopping at either the Wendy’s on Fairview or the shell on Bayfield and witnessing, drug dealing, prostitution, police standoffs and general tweaking by junkies making a scene.

Edited by AKRISONER

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

Not such great advice, because in 99.9% of situations in Canada any culprit would not be carrying a firearm themselves and as such if you were to god forbid pull the trigger you would be finding yourself facing a first degree murder charge. Especially because you have clearly brought the weapon with you wherever you have gone.

its no different than carrying a knife. I know plenty of people who carry a knife on them. They don’t realize that if they ever use it on someone they will be getting an attempted murder / murder charge.

i hope the police do their jobs effectively to stop the problem. If you choose to turn a blind eye though and be complacent you are potentially part of the problem. I understand that most of us feel that we can hold our own, but perhaps some neighborhood kids go for a bike ride or hike down the wrong path. We all have a job to be dilligent.

im on a streak now of 6 consecutive trips through barrie stopping at either the Wendy’s on Fairview or the shell on Bayfield and witnessing, drug dealing, prostitution, police standoffs and general tweaking by junkies making a scene.

 

You sure about that one? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, ch312 said:

 

You sure about that one? 

yes, the act of carrying a knife and using it on someone immediately comes with the catch of it being premeditated. You can use items from the environment to defend yourself, but the fact that you are carrying a deadly weapon and then subsequently use it on a person means you were carrying the knife with the intent to use it to hurt someone.

I am sure the court would hear you out if you were carrying a leatherman while fishing and used it to defend yourself after you got jumped by a junkie in the bushes...but if you carry a knife with you to the bar and decide to get in a fight and use the knife...you are toast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

yes, the act of carrying a knife and using it on someone immediately comes with the catch of it being premeditated. You can use items from the environment to defend yourself, but the fact that you are carrying a deadly weapon and then subsequently use it on a person means you were carrying the knife with the intent to use it to hurt someone.

I am sure the court would hear you out if you were carrying a leatherman while fishing and used it to defend yourself after you got jumped by a junkie in the bushes...but if you carry a knife with you to the bar and decide to get in a fight and use the knife...you are toast.

Oh ya..........great how the criminal is protected in today's society. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/7/2019 at 7:55 PM, smitty55 said:

Things are getting scary down in Athens are they Len?

Not scary, but people need to be aware of the impact of drugs on our society, not only in the larger centres but also in small towns (such as Brockville)

19 months after the murder, the youth was found guilty... slap on the wrist likely all...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/damian-sobieraj-youth-verdict-1.5469296

 

Edited by Out4Trout

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/26/2018 at 7:58 AM, dave524 said:

It's getting bad all over, my step daughter was renting in the Church and Niagara area of St. Catharines,  I was relieved when she moved,  we take our dogs everywhere and I had to be super vigilant when we went for walkies there. 

There are a lot of unsafe areas in Niagara region. THese are the areas where the cops don't get out of their cruiser without back up

Edited by bigugli

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

synthetic drugs crystal meth and fentanyl have basically put that group of society at the edge. The epidemic spread through the midwest of the United States in the early 2000's. Its just made its way to Canada. 

Theres really no end in sight to it unless we either enforce harsher drug trafficking laws or they all kill themselves off.

I lived in the downtown east side of vancouver where they had close to 1,000 people die from fentanyl overdose in 2019. Theres only 20,000 users total in the area. If 1,000 die per year it seemingly cleans itself up. Crazy enough the death rate has actually finally started to decline in BC because the users have basically overdosed themselves off.

Long gone are the days of the "local drunk" in small towns. Now you have guys that havent slept in a week with super human strength running around stealing and doing anything to ensure their next fix. Its scary as hell. The beauty of all of this is that Toronto's gun crime problems are also directly related to it. The guys selling all of this crap are the ones shooting each other on our streets.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

synthetic drugs crystal meth and fentanyl have basically put that group of society at the edge. The epidemic spread through the midwest of the United States in the early 2000's. Its just made its way to Canada. 

Theres really no end in sight to it unless we either enforce harsher drug trafficking laws or they all kill themselves off.

I lived in the downtown east side of vancouver where they had close to 1,000 people die from fentanyl overdose in 2019. Theres only 20,000 users total in the area. If 1,000 die per year it seemingly cleans itself up. Crazy enough the death rate has actually finally started to decline in BC because the users have basically overdosed themselves off.

Long gone are the days of the "local drunk" in small towns. Now you have guys that havent slept in a week with super human strength running around stealing and doing anything to ensure their next fix. Its scary as hell. The beauty of all of this is that Toronto's gun crime problems are also directly related to it. The guys selling all of this crap are the ones shooting each other on our streets.

Heard it said, maybe 30 years ago in the US, if the FBI was really serious about getting rid of the drug problem, the next time they grab a big shipment of drugs they would lace it with cyanide and let it back out on the street, simple supply and demand, no users ->no dealers. On the gun crime thing, since the 70's I was involved in protesting useless gun control, one figure that always stood out was 51% of murderers were previously known or had records with the police and 49% of victims also had records, probably not too different today, bad guys shooting bad guys. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dave524 said:

 bad guys shooting bad guys. 

living in a neighborhood with a high gun violence rate...I wouldnt care if they only shot each other. live by the gun die by the gun so to speak. The problem is that they shot up the front door of my building. Then another time they had a big shootout across the street and hit a poor lady in the head in front of her 4 children 😔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...