Reluctant PSA

Dutch01

I'm posting this kind of reluctantly, so I'm leaving out all the details. I don't want to burn my spots but I don't feel right being silent.

Anyone who fishes there already knows so this is for anyone who doesn't.....

I strongly recommend fishing in groups only, and avoid darkness if you are fishing in south Oshawa.

I've had some scary experiences this fall and I believe I would have been robbed (or worse) if I had not been fishing in a group of four guys. This isn't chicken little stuff, I'm talking three sketchy incidents just yesterday.

Be alert and pay attention out there guys.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

Total shame what’s going on out in Oshawa, I fear barrie is turning much the same. Seems every time I go through these days I see junkies prowling.

Yup, and these pan handlers at enter sections is getting out of hand. Seems they are not getting cracked down on hard enough.

Dutch, I work for DRPS and I won't let my kid fish the creek south of Bond St without me being there.  My kid is 15 and 6'5.  When we were at Children's Arena my younger 2 boys wanted to go play in the playground.  My wife asked why I was wandering around the playground looking at the ground.  Checking for used needles I told her. Better safe than sorry.

Well let me tell you guys something - for years I did a lot of camping and fishing at night being by myself - never worried about a thing - why - because I had a pistol grip short barreled shogun in my camper and carried a 38 special - you'd be surprised how that makes the difference on how you feel - I know your laws are different up there but i keep saying that someday people will realize that it is a basic right to be able to feel safe no matter where you go -

The other thing I'd like to comment on is how Dutch is so reluctant to tell the whole story for fear of offending someone even if he is telling the truth - I know this is common but isn't it a shame that a person can't speak the truth anymore because of PC -

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JoePa said:

Well let me tell you guys something - for years I did a lot of camping and fishing at night being by myself - never worried about a thing - why - because I had a pistol grip short barreled shogun in my camper and carried a 38 special - you'd be surprised how that makes the difference on how you feel - I know your laws are different up there but i keep saying that someday people will realize that it is a basic right to be able to feel safe no matter where you go -

The other thing I'd like to comment on is how Dutch is so reluctant to tell the whole story for fear of offending someone even if he is telling the truth - I know this is common but isn't it a shame that a person can't speak the truth anymore because of PC -

:good:

Just an FYI, my warning being "reluctant" had nothing to do with being PC or any worry over offending anyone.

I don't post reports from GTA tribs 'cause they get hammered too much already. I also didn't want to wake up and read that someone got robbed or killed down there knowing I could have warned them.

A few emails back and forth with friends since hearing of this from Dutch, this is happening down there. They fish in groups. My question to them was, why even bother ? Looking over your shoulder all the time ? This is b s

It,s a real ( insert rated R here ) shame that these kind of humans need to go to this length to feed their habits.

If this is happening, why wouldn't you report it to the Police so they can go down in the evening and see for themselves?  If you report the issue and say that you think kids may be in danger, they won't be able to ignore it.

30 minutes ago, Canuck said:

If this is happening, why wouldn't you report it to the Police so they can go down in the evening and see for themselves?  If you report the issue and say that you think kids may be in danger, they won't be able to ignore it.

No crime was committed, what am I supposed to report?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, misfish said:

A few emails back and forth with friends since hearing of this from Dutch, this is happening down there. They fish in groups. My question to them was, why even bother ? Looking over your shoulder all the time ? This is b s

It,s a real ( insert rated R here ) shame that these kind of humans need to go to this length to feed their habits.

There's some really great fishing 30 minutes from my house, and as long as I go with my friends during the day it's unlikely to go sideways. Like anywhere these days, situational awareness is key.  You're in more danger going to a club in the Entertainment District on a Saturday night.

• Like 1

Please no specific locations or illegal practices posted here. As we all know Canada does not allow pistols or open carry so discussing it from the USA  point of view will do nothing but get this locked. I am sorry that fishing in some areas is dangerous not from wildlife but from our own kind. If you identify an area and enough people call the police it might get extra patrols or surveillance to calm it down. You should check with your local jurisdictions and see what personal protection is legally available to use in a dicey situation. One of the first things taught in crime prevention is to be aware of your surroundings and avoid areas that are considered dangerous. If you do go into an area that is dicey go with friends and have a phone handy to call for help. 

Thank you 

Art

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, chris.brock said:

what exactly is happening?

A lot of heavy drug use in the bush around the creek.  Desperate drug addicts don't care who they hurt to get their next fix.  The Methadone clinic is about 200 meters from the creek down there and the bike path that follows the creek makes a great highway for people that want to stay off the main street and out of sight.  The bush surrounding the creek is a Rabbit's warren and there are increasingly bigger tent cities growing in it.  Those tent cities attract drug users and those violent people that want to prey on drug users.  

If you look at the link below the problem is severe enough that the city has converted mailboxes to accept used needles.  3 of the locations are along the creek.

https://www.oshawa.ca/residents/public-space-harm-reduction-needle-drop-boxes-.asp

And its not just your stereotypical junkie either.  Our former neighbour who was doing well in life, owned her home and had at least 12 yrs into a mortgage that we lived next to her, worked downtown in the TD IT dept.  Died of an OD days after getting out of rehab.  She wasn't a violent predator, but I'm sure she had violent predators at her house by the looks of some of the characters I saw before we moved.

Edited by verno
added link
  • Thanks 1