Need Some Help from all the Fishing Gurus Here!

David Chong

I am thoroughly impressed with the number of extremely knowledgeable anglers on this board! I trust that you can help me out! I'm working on a project and would like to know what is the most common question that you get asked by new or less experienced anglers? I appreciate all your feedback?

Okay, I should have been more specific, more general questions about equipment such as:

What is the best line to use?

Should I buy a left handed or right handed retrieve baitcasting reel?

Edited by David Chong

Somewhat hard to nail it down to just one question, but I remember some guy asking me this a while back.  What ya using minnow or worms how deep ya trolling getting any hits how's the bite.  and not to forget, how thick's the ice.

# 1 is probably where.  Good luck with your project.

Dave this is not to be sarcastic but it usually is what are you fishing for  followed by have you caught anything. I am going to assume that is not what you are after but rather what is the most often asked question they ask to improve their ability to catch fish. At this point I will then explain what I am fishing for and what lure I am using and how. The question I anticipated is How are you catching the fish and what are you using. If they show more interest then I will invite them to fish with me in the near future. The lessons then focus on why are the fish where the fish are and why are they feeding. This is more important than what lure you use at this time. Once they can eliminate large areas of unproductive water then it is time to teach them how to identify and trigger the bite. After this information is given I will then allow them to guide me and follow their choices and if right we have a good trip if it is wrong I will ask them why they decided those choices after we have tried it and failed to land fish. Eventually they all use the tools of fishing to solve the puzzle and this can be used in any water anytime. 

Hope this helps

Art

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, aplumma said:

Dave this is not to be sarcastic but it usually is what are you fishing for  followed by have you caught anything. I am going to assume that is not what you are after but rather what is the most often asked question they ask to approve their ability to catch fish. At this point I will then explain what I am fishing for and what lure I am using and how. The question I anticipated is How are you catching the fish and what are you using. If they show more interest then I will invite them to fish with me in the near future. The lessons then focus on why are the fish where the fish are and why are they feeding. This is more important than what lure you use at this time. Once they can eliminate large areas of unproductive water then it is time to teach them how to identify and trigger the bite. After this information is given I will then allow them to guide me and follow their choices and if right we have a good trip if it is wrong I will ask them why they decided those choices after we have tried it and failed to land fish. Eventually they all use the tools of fishing to solve the puzzle and this can be used in any water anytime. 

Hope this helps

Art

Thanks Art,  I should have been more specific, more general questions about equipment such as:

Ones that you might hear again & again!

1 minute ago, David Chong said:

What happened to 'Who"? LOL

Who Who? The owl said,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

This may sound mean,but when I am asked how long a lead from the float,I raise it up an show them. Wow,only 3 ft ? They do not noticed the bobber stop 6 feet up from the float. Cant teach/tell them everything. LOL

• Haha 1

Well David, and keep in mind I haven't really been able to seriously fish in around 15 years now, but the questions I could usually answer involved rods, reels. line, and lures, and even those questions were more our less geared to my primary interest which was bass fishing, and a 6# bass in my area was a real nice fish.

Also no one I fished with, was trying to be " a pro " weekend anglers, some very good, but mostly fishing for fun and a little competition, and my tips weren't intended to price anyone out of the interest of fishing for fun.

Spots and lures probably near the top too, and the whys of that much harder to answer, some spots had fish a lot more frequently than others, but it didn't mean they were there or actively feeding all the time, and the lures to catch them in those spots could vary widely at times.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, David Chong said:

Thanks Art,  I should have been more specific, more general questions about equipment such as:

Ones that you might hear again & again!

I usually do not hear that from someone who has a fishing rod in their hands. They may have a kmart special to start with but they are happy with it till they have felt a better rod. I refrain from criticizing anyones equipment choice since it might be the best they can afford and it is their pride and joy. If they show a real interest in fishing then I will explore if they want to use something else other than what they have. Once they decide they want to see other options we can explore bait caster vs spinning rods and line choices. There really is not a rod and reel that is a one size fits all and adding multi species has brought my rod collection to 30 or so combos. I am very fortunate to have had a long time friend who also is part of this board (spiel) build me some of the nicest rods I have had the fortune of  owning. I hesitate to let others use them unless they have a fairly large fishing budget because as you know once you fish quality products it is hard to go back. Are you trying to put together a seminar or a book.booklet for others to read? 

Art

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, aplumma said:

I usually do not hear that from someone who has a fishing rod in their hands. They may have a kmart special to start with but they are happy with it till they have felt a better rod. I refrain from criticizing anyones equipment choice since it might be the best they can afford and it is their pride and joy. If they show a real interest in fishing then I will explore if they want to use something else other than what they have. Once they decide they want to see other options we can explore bait caster vs spinning rods and line choices. There really is not a rod and reel that is a one size fits all and adding multi species has brought my rod collection to 30 or so combos. I am very fortunate to have had a long time friend who also is part of this board (spiel) build me some of the nicest rods I have had the fortune of  owning. I hesitate to let others use them unless they have a fairly large fishing budget because as you know once you fish quality products it is hard to go back. Are you trying to put together a seminar or a book.booklet for others to read? 

Art

Thanks Art, I did already have the question regarding spinning or baitcasting but the one about why pay for better quality equipment is good. Yeah, I'm working on something that can be part of a seminar, a display at a show and yeah maybe a booklet. Just to kinda answer some of the questions we hear again & again to help folks getting into the sport or looking to improve their angling results!