Important Ice Fishing News

DRIFTER_016

https://newmainenews.com/2017/12/31/wardens-warn-frigid-temps-could-lead-to-burst-beers-for-ice-fishermen/?fbclid=IwAR0oEC7_qS6aoVYjBAmya6ZLUz5sRMjBgM76XY7k8YbN691f0-JF7h7i92M

Statewide — While lakes and ponds across the state are seeing an uptick in activity, wardens want fisherman to be aware of the dangers posed by exposure to freezing temperatures when it comes to beer.

“No one loves anything more than a frosty cold one when ice fishing,” Warden Travis Smith said. “However, people need to be aware, when the temperatures are this cold, beer can freeze up on you and burst quicker than you might think.”

That could mean an entire day is ruined.

“You bring a 30 rack to the ice and before you know it, you’ve lost 15, 16 beers, and you’ve still got a whole day of fishing ahead of you,” Smith said.

“I’ve seen it happen too often,” he said, visibly upset. “No one wants to run out of beer before noon.”

Care should be taken to protect beer from the freezing temperatures, especially early on.

“An ounce of prevention equals 12 ounces of refreshment,” Smith said.

One method many fisherman employ is to drink their beers fast enough they don’t freeze. But Smith said this method requires an extra step of preparation.

“If you’re going to blast a case between you and your buds on the ice, you absolutely must have a bottle of Fireball on hand for the late afternoon,” he said.

Smith said burst glass bottles are especially tragic.

“You may be tempted to just eat the beer slush, but you will cut up your gums and lips on broken glass something fierce.”

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BillM said:

I thought this was going to be about Simcoe not being frozen over for opener :)

No worries here Bill, next 5 days booked on the river. Care to join? Work for 2 after,then well, see what happens then, but I think it will river still. :Gonefishing:

16 hours ago, misfish said:

No worries here Bill, next 5 days booked on the river. Care to join? Work for 2 after,then well, see what happens then, but I think it will river still. :Gonefishing:

Local river will probably blow tomorrow, drop me a PM and I'll see if we can make something happen!