Xylitol Can Kill Dogs

JoePa

I have read  several accounts where dogs ate something with a sugar substitute called Xylitol in it and the dogs died - this is a sugar alcohol that is used in chewing gum, baked goods and other food stuff - better to check before you give your dog something to eat - especially now around Christmas when there is so much sweet stuff around - I  assume that if you own a dog you know that chocolate can also kill a dog -

You’re right JoePa.  Xylitol is becoming more common in Human foods. Even peanut butter.  Know that chocolate toxicity is based on a few variables.  The darker the chocolate the worse it is. The amount consumed and weight of the dog factor in. You can look up a “dog chocolate calculator” on line to see if there has been significant chocolate consumption that you need to do something about. Know that you can induce vomiting in a dog by giving 3% Hydogen Peroxide. The stuff you clean wounds with. Doesn’t always work, though. Should be done ASAP after ingesting harmful substances. Your vet can give an injection that induces vomiting reliably. 

If you have too much chocolate around, give me a call. I’ll take it all. ?

Here's one I learned from my buddy that now lives in Roatan Honduras.

Keep some Benadryl around it really helps if your dog gets stung or bitten and has a reaction to it.

My buddy has used it a couple of times when his pups have be stung by scorpions.

Takes the swelling and pain away in short order.

Chocolate killing dogs is a myth. I have a 90lb lab that ate two one lb orange/chocolate eggs and the accompanying boxes one evening.

He did not die, yes, he was a little "excited for a few hours". The worst was the "green apple two step" for a couple of days.

HH

11 minutes ago, Headhunter said:

Chocolate killing dogs is a myth. I have a 90lb lab that ate two one lb orange/chocolate eggs and the accompanying boxes one evening.

He did not die, yes, he was a little "excited for a few hours". The worst was the "green apple two step" for a couple of days.

HH

I guess that makes you an expert. 

I've had many dogs over my lifetime and every one has lived on people food and they all lived long and healthy lives.

My last pooch lived till he was 18 years old and we used to take him for a check-up every year and when he was 16 the vet said she couldn't believe how healthy he still was at his age and asked what we fed him. I said he  ate basically whatever we had for supper and she was horrified and said people food is the most unhealthy thing you can feed a dog. I said "you just told us you couldn't believe how healthy he was" and she sorta blushed and said "yeah I guess I did, didn't I "

Ole Marv live for another 2 years on his unhealthy diet LOL

Cnv0907.jpg

Edited by lew
  • Like 2

This comes from a veterinary medical textbook :

Clinical signs of chocolate toxicosis usually occur within 6–12 hr of ingestion. Initial signs may include polydipsia, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal distention, and restlessness. Signs may progress to hyperactivity, polyuria, ataxia, rigidity, tremors, and seizures. Tachycardia, premature ventricular contractions, tachypnea, cyanosis, hypertension, hyperthermia, bradycardia, hypotension, or coma may occur. Hypokalemia may occur late in the course of the toxicosis, contributing to cardiac dysfunction. Death is generally due to cardiac arrhythmias, hyperthermia, or respiratory failure. The high fat content of chocolate products may trigger pancreatitis in susceptible animals.

There as many conflicting opinions on this topic as there are hits in Google on the topic. Here's one that says what it says...

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/fact-or-fiction-chocolate-is-poisonous-to-dogs/

HH

Edit for clarity... I am not suggesting that anyone feed their dog chocolate.

Edited by Headhunter

7 hours ago, Headhunter said:

HH

I was keeping a buddies rotty/pitbull for a few weeks while he was away for christmas one year. We had a HUGE tray of chocolate baked goods ready for christmas. We left them sitting on the kitchen counter, wrapped in saran wrap. When we got home, the tray was empty, saran wrap barely moved, and the tray still sitting where we left it. Dog was fine. I admit, I was terrified, but he was just fine. 

Also had a 90lb chocolate lab (ironicallly lol) that ate a full 2lb solid easter bunny. Thought for sure he was done for, but nope, no problem.  That dog would eat anthing that fit in his mouth, I swear. 

S. 

Years ago there was a truck crash on Hwy 11 involving a load of chocolate. The locals loaded up on the stuff and a local bear guide also grabbed a few hundred pounds. His dog got into the shed where it was stored and ended up dying after eating a bunch of it.. 

There's a chocolate toxicity chart online and it even lists the type. White is not toxic while dark 70% can be severe. A 50 pound dog would have to eat 2 pounds of dark for it to be severe.. Milk chocolate is not high on the list for toxicity.. 

Not a toxic food, but our dog decided to each a tray of raw bacon wrapped salmon pieces on Christmas eve two years ago,.  Problem was they were held together with the thick double pointed tooth picks.  He stopped eating on Xmas day.  Spent two days in the Vet hospital.  They blocked in his stomach and intestines and they were worried they would perforate something.  In the end they softened and moved before they did any damage.  $1500 for the ultrasounds and vet stay.  Keep an eye on your pets over the holidays.

Edited by Canuck

Xylitol is lethal to dogs. As for chocolate, milk chocolate probably won't kill them but they will be up peeing a lot, a lot of milk chocolate could cause kidney damage, dark chocolate however is VERY BAD. A few ounces of it could be all it takes to kill Fido.