Maybe Wrong Bear to Shoot

JoePa

Do hunter's learn a bear's life story before they decide to shoot it? I am not a hunter so don't know how this all works. If I were a hunter that came across a bear I would likely say "Hey...a bear" Then I would shoot it. Probably would not take the time to determine whether the bear had  a tough life or an easy life.

• Like 1

The bear was rehabbed in 2014 and shot in 2017. It probably was a normal, healthy bear when it was shot.

I don't know how big and visible modern radio collars are, but it's legal to shoot a radio collared bear in that state.

Fox news often sensationalizes stuff.  

It was apparently a legal bear for the hunter to shoot.

So what's the fuss?  Law-abiding hunter shoots legal bear, which happens to have a Disney type history.  The bear is LEGAL game, taken by a law-abiding hunter, period, full stop.

I hope the hunter is enjoying his or her bear, it's delicious..................

Doug

Because many people these days will trash hunters like it’s the most blood thirsty, unethical thing you can do. Never mind the fact humans have been doing it for thousands of years. What gets me is when people who eat meat will trash hunters and say “oh, big man killing an innocent animal” Then they go to MacDonalds and buy some chicken nuggets like that makes them somehow morally superior. 

Or the idiot living in the city who knows nothing about bears thinks that they shouldn’t be hunted because they had a cute little teddy bear as a kid. Until one breaks into their cottage one night. 

A real hunter knows more and cares more about the animals they hunt than most so called animal animal activists. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, akaShag said:

It was apparently a legal bear for the hunter to shoot.

So what's the fuss?  Law-abiding hunter shoots legal bear, which happens to have a Disney type history.  The bear is LEGAL game, taken by a law-abiding hunter, period, full stop.

I hope the hunter is enjoying his or her bear, it's delicious..................

Doug

Is it legal to leave the remains and take the collar? Unless I read it wrong that seems like the bigger deal.  

50 minutes ago, zenon11 said:

Is it legal to leave the remains and take the collar? Unless I read it wrong that seems like the bigger deal.  

I had assumed when I read the article that the hunter had taken the meat off the bones and left the skeleton there.  Given the apparently remote location, this would have been a likely scenario, ie pack out the meat.  But the story does not actually say that, now I have re-read it.  If the person who shot the bear ONLY took the radio collar, and left the carcass to rot, that person is not a hunter, that person is a poacher.

In Ontario, it is an offence to allow game meat (including black bear) to spoil.

Doug

7 hours ago, zenon11 said:

That was my initial thought too when I first read the article.  But, as akaShag stated, it's not really clear whether the "remains" included the meat.