Suggestions about Oil Pressure on a 2004 4X4 Silverado

jimmer

13 hours ago, ecmilley said:

Easy enough to drop the pan in driveway done it.for several friends 1 bad o ring 2 sludged pick ups . And usually.all the.additives just reliquify sludge and move it into pick up

The pan isn't the problem, it's having to drop the front diff that has me avoiding it.

2 hours ago, jimmer said:

The pan isn't the problem, it's having to drop the front diff that has me avoiding it.

I'm not sure you're going to find the oil pump by dropping the pan anyway; is it not behind the timing cover on the Vortec"s?

23 minutes ago, G.mech said:

I'm not sure you're going to find the oil pump by dropping the pan anyway; is it not behind the timing cover on the Vortec"s?

Pretty sure the pick up tube connection can be accessed. I wouldn't attempt to change the oil pump myself.

Well, I bought the pick up tube and o-ring and will attempt it over the holidays.  I have a hoist lined up and a little help. Fingers crossed that this is the problem and I haven't done too much damage. Also hoping that the oil pan gasket is reusable.

There's a lot of times the pan gasket is or looks reusable; but what the F%$* get a replacement. You're going through all this work and then taking a chance on a used used gasket?

Hey look at this, the oil pressure is great; to bad it's now a butter ball turkey. Leaking enough oil to be self basting. 

Sorry.

It's good to cut corners but only in the right places!

Dan.

• Like 2

On 12/21/2018 at 9:31 AM, jimmer said:

Well, I bought the pick up tube and o-ring and will attempt it over the holidays.  I have a hoist lined up and a little help. Fingers crossed that this is the problem and I haven't done too much damage. Also hoping that the oil pan gasket is reusable.

The oil filter housing is integral with the pan lots of oil pressure goes through that gasket area I would heavily suggest a new gasket

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2018 at 5:44 AM, ecmilley said:

The oil filter housing is integral with the pan lots of oil pressure goes through that gasket area I would heavily suggest a new gasket

Yes, I took the advice and bought a new gasket.

So, the pick up was pretty gummed up, but the o-ring didn't seem that bad. Changed those out, but maybe only made a little difference.

Edited by jimmer
addition

• 4 months later...

Just thought I would update you all on the state of the truck. I drove it all winter and it's still running. Just changed the oil again and it's purring. Geez. maybe there is some small channel plugged, preventing a good pressure reading or that little filter screen under the pressure sensor was shoved down inside previously and it's blocking something,

I do hate not being able to figure things out though.

• 3 months later...

Another update.  So after driving myself crazy for what seems like years, I finally changed the engine and everything is great.  The original engine was just tired and worn out and finally on its last legs.  I appreciate all the input from everyone on this post/issue. Changing the engine was cheaper than replacing the truck.

• Like 3