Fly tieing a Goby ?????????

misfish

My brain never seems to take a rest. I am always thinking on how to do. Sometimes, I wake up from a dead sleep and an idea comes to me. This drives  me nuts, cuz I just cant let it go.  I sat today and had a picture in my head. What I needed to do this fly tie goby.Sure the first offs are not as planned or for seen, but once I have something stuck in my head,I have to at least try.  I fish shallow waters for white fish,so big weight is not really important to me. Also thinking that a light weight fly like this,they will pick it up and not feel much weight in their mouth. Then they feel the hook set. :w00t::Gonefishing:

My first attempts.

Some shanks are wrapped with lead, then I found some old weights I had . They worked perfect.

rbBK1gm.jpg.png

HaSt5pG.jpg?3

WQHhzVb.jpg?1

zyjuOzf.jpg?1

hDPUqZN.jpg?1

fJbcMHD.jpg?1

UK3HBYb.jpg?1

Now for the white fish season to open to give them a try.:dunno:

• Like 1

I need to find those jigging hooks. The ones with the eye turned up 90 deg. Those would work better, but used what I had.

As for the tail/ tentacles , I was going to use micro tubes, but I found a bag of those spinner bait tails for 3 bucks. Right color and cheap. LOL

Edited by misfish

Brian, I think I have a couple packs of jig hooks kicking around that I don't have any use of. If I can find them you can have them for the postage.

I've got a couple thoughts on the fly itself. 

If you look at how gobies move about, they remain horizontal as they dart from place to place. That may be something to check with where you have your weight located, switching to a jig hook with a bead or worm weight on a pin forming head might give a more horizontal weight distribution. With the weight in the middle you may end up with the tail dragging bottom, might look unnatural.  You also mention that you don't think you'll need much weight - remember that gobies don't have swim bladders and should always be sitting on the bottom. To little weight and they might float up to much when you move them.Thinking something like these stonefly jigs from Centerpin Angling:

cac_stonefly_jigs.jpg

I might also think about switching to marabou for the tail and some hackle for the pelvic fins. Feathers have a real strength in that they can move and pulsate with the slightest bit of current, which will make your flies appear to be twitchy and constantly moving. Rubber legs are great for more solid apendages like crayfish pincers, but won't have that constant movement without you providing motion. 

I hope this comes across as constructive criticism and not me being a debbie downer. I think you're on the right track to a good pattern. 

12 hours ago, Tom S said:

Brian, I think I have a couple packs of jig hooks kicking around that I don't have any use of. If I can find them you can have them for the postage.

I've got a couple thoughts on the fly itself. 

If you look at how gobies move about, they remain horizontal as they dart from place to place. That may be something to check with where you have your weight located, switching to a jig hook with a bead or worm weight on a pin forming head might give a more horizontal weight distribution. With the weight in the middle you may end up with the tail dragging bottom, might look unnatural.  You also mention that you don't think you'll need much weight - remember that gobies don't have swim bladders and should always be sitting on the bottom. To little weight and they might float up to much when you move them.Thinking something like these stonefly jigs from Centerpin Angling:

cac_stonefly_jigs.jpg

I might also think about switching to marabou for the tail and some hackle for the pelvic fins. Feathers have a real strength in that they can move and pulsate with the slightest bit of current, which will make your flies appear to be twitchy and constantly moving. Rubber legs are great for more solid apendages like crayfish pincers, but won't have that constant movement without you providing motion. 

I hope this comes across as constructive criticism and not me being a debbie downer. I think you're on the right track to a good pattern. 

All input is welcome, you know that Tom. We add micro tubes to the back of a meegs, so this acts the same.  These will be fished on the bottom with light movement. Little bumping on the bottom.  Once they come in,I do not see them passing on it.  Time will tell. I sure there will be a few revisions.

As for your offer, I will take you up on that.

Thanks