Guided Moose Hunting Recommendations

My wife and I have really been hit with the hunting bug and want to start branching out into moose hunting. We currently just hunt deer, grouse and rabbit/hares so this would be a big leap for us. So for our first time, we really want to go with a guide. We’re thinking either Quebec, northern Ontario or possible NFLD for our first trip. A BC moose hunt is on our bucket list but we want to keep the costs somewhat reasonable for the first time so that’s out of the question at this moment. 

Does anybody here have any experience going with a guided outfitter or have any recommendations? We’d be looking to rifle hunt an area with good populations and are also interested in just seeing wildlife in general and experiencing the outdoors in a new (to us) spot. Not looking for a needle in a haystack trophy hunt. We love hiking around, seeing the country side and all that it has to offer, harvesting a moose and filling the freezer with delicious meat would just be the cherry on top. 

Also, any tips or info on hunting moose in general would be very welcome. We want to learn as much as we can. One of our favourite places is Algonquin Park and we make it our goal each time we go to find some moose and just watch these amazing animals and learn more about them. 

Thanks in advance everyone! 

Newfoundland is going to cost you five grand each plus transportation.  You will not find much below that price, and a non-resident MUST use the services of an outfitter.  Your chances of tagging a moose are probably better in NF than anyplace else on the planet, but you are going to pay for that.

A guided BC moose hunt would probably cost LESS than a guided NF hunt, but I have no personal experience to back that up.

MOST Ontario WMUs have reduced adult tag numbers, and MOST have reduced moose numbers, and I would be very cautious about booking a Northern Ontario hunt unless it was a fly-in.  Even then, there are no guarantees.  I was on a fly-in lake for a fishing trip this fall out of Nakina, the week before moose season, and in a week none of us saw a moose, nor heard a moose, nor saw any sign, around the very large lake we were fishing.  And Nakina is a long ways from southern Ontario.

In 2019 a group of us are going to hunt moose in Quebec, with an outfitter, but not a guided hunt.  Moose numbers are apparently pretty good in Quebec, and 2019 the hunt is for any moose - bull, cow, calf.  We are headed out to hunt with an outfitter recommended by a buddy who has hunted there three times.

GOOGLE is your friend, and will be much more useful than posts to a fishing website.  Just sayin'

Doug

I've heard from several people that northern Ontario isn't nearly what it used to be. Too bad. I think my wife and I have settled on Newfoundland as our destination of choice. Neither of us have been there so it would be great to explore a new area, it has the best moose population density in the world plus we're very likely to see caribou which is never going to happen where we live (Kingston area). $5000 might seem steep but most lodges have well over a 90% success rate. If we were to buy grass fed beef we'd probably be spending half of that for the same amount we'd get from a moose. Add in that they feed you the entire time there, your lodging is included plus the use of a guide and their atvs and it's really not that bad. 

Thank you both for your replies. 

The five grand is PER HUNTER.

I did have a quote from one outfitter who would guide two hunters, on ONE tag, for seven grand.  Both can carry firearms, but once the moose is shot, the hunt is over.

If you are headed to the Rock for sure, I have a couple recommendations (if I can find them) from friends who have gone there.  It would be a starting point for you.  If this is of interest, please shoot me a pm.  And I am also in Kingston.

Doug

The last time I was in NFLD, we saw 17 moose, in a 12km drive.  Had 2 cross the river we were fishing within 75 yrds. My dad has to keep a fence around his garden to keep the moose out of it. Its rediculous. 

If you've never been to the island, go. Its magical. 

You have a really good chance of getting your moose there. 

Its just money. You only live once. 

I've never looked into it, but I would think if you did it right you could do it a lot cheaper than $5000 per person. I know I could, but only because I have immediate family there with guide licences. 

Driving there saves you a ton of money. Flights to the island are rediculous. Its a long haul, but it would be a lot less logistically to get your gear there, and your moose home as well.  Its really not much different than driving to NW ontario for a hunt, except for the ferry ride. 

S. 

back to Sinker, a non-resident has to utilize an OUTFITTER, not a guide.  I had a buddy that hunted down there a number of times with a GUIDE (who was not an outfitter), but it was all illegal.  He did not get caught, and neither did his guides, but the risk just wasn't worth it for me.  Now I just need to find somebody on the Rock to adopt me!  (I can already sing all the words to The Star of Logy Bay!)

I have been looking into Nfld moose hunts now for about ten years, have not yet shelled out the bucks for it but some day I just might do that.  Pretty well all of the outfitters I have contacted charge five grand per hunter for a week of moose hunting, some a lot more, some a little less.

Doug

I have never looked into it, so I can't say I know anything about it. 

What I do know is that I can legally fish (freshwater IE: Atlantics) as a non resident, with a resident who is immediate family. I'm not sure that applies to hunting or not, but it may......having immediate family on the island is the key in my situation. 

I know there are loads of moose there, and not getting one would almost be hard to believe. I know my dad has his picked out well before the season opens LOL 

S. 

54 minutes ago, Sinker said:

I have never looked into it, so I can't say I know anything about it. 

What I do know is that I can legally fish (freshwater IE: Atlantics) as a non resident, with a resident who is immediate family. I'm not sure that applies to hunting or not, but it may......having immediate family on the island is the key in my situation. 

I know there are loads of moose there, and not getting one would almost be hard to believe. I know my dad has his picked out well before the season opens LOL 

S. 

Would your Dad like to adopt another son?  ?