callandar bay ice hut rental recommendation

huzzsaba

Hopefully there should be some good ice by the first week of January.  A group of friends are planning to go for ice fishing (some for the first time).  Any recommendation for day huts with good fishing on callander bay?  I understanding, there can be bad days, but in general an operator that knows the lake well and puts you on fish.

Thanks

On 12/6/2018 at 12:11 PM, Joeytier said:

Callander bay does not have much for rental huts, it's primarily personal huts.  Any reason why you want Cbay in particular?  Tons of great operators on the south shore with generally better fishing.

MY bad, I thought callander bay was the closest access point from GTA.  Ill go wherever its good.

Tamma Kwa, Bear Creek Cottages or The Waltonian Inn. All good outfitters. There was a day you had to book a year ahead to get a hut for January 1st at these places. I don't know about now. If you want to experience a real adventure book an over night hut Huzz. Knowing you Huzz and how much you love fishin' you will be fishing all night long from the comfort of the dinning room table. We did it more than a few times. Nothing like playing cards and someone yells "fish on!" at 3 in the morning. 

2 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Tamma Kwa, Bear Creek Cottages or The Waltonian Inn. All good outfitters. There was a day you had to book a year ahead to get a hut for January 1st at these places. I don't know about now. If you want to experience a real adventure book an over night hut Huzz. Knowing you Huzz and how much you love fishin' you will be fishing all night long from the comfort of the dinning room table. We did it more than a few times. Nothing like playing cards and someone yells "fish on!" at 3 in the morning. 

You're right about the overnight fishing experience.  Ive never done it, but can imagine it being really fun.  For now, baby steps.  get my friends hooked to some day fishing, hopefully I can drag them out for an overnight fishing experience thereafter lol.

Just checked out the rates for tama kwa, which seems to be pretty high, however, it seems like they are one of the better ones on the lake so it should be worth.  Again I understand it can be hit or miss,  but generally speaking, is the action pretty consistent, or is it the usual slow from 10 am to 3pm like Ive experienced on simcoe?

4 hours ago, huzzsaba said:

Just checked out the rates for tama kwa, which seems to be pretty high, however, it seems like they are one of the better ones on the lake so it should be worth.  Again I understand it can be hit or miss,  but generally speaking, is the action pretty consistent, or is it the usual slow from 10 am to 3pm like Ive experienced on simcoe?

It's been a few years Huzz but the answer to your question is yes. The Walleye hit early and then nada Pickerel until just before dusk. The Pike, Perch and Ling kept you busy in between on a good day, along with cooking great meals in the huts or on the BBQ weather permitting, WWF wrestling matches and touch Football games.  We also raced the machines far from where the huts were set up. I wasn't always 64, I was 24 once. 

edit: If your friends are newbie fishermen nothing will turn them off more than a slow day on open ice in a near blizzard like it did me on my very 1st ice experience/nightmare. Ask what size the huts are, a nice size isn't a good answer. And may I ask what are the rates they quoted you? 4 of us went to Bear Creek last Jan. mid-week and got a good rate for the huts and cottage for 2 nights. Fishing out of huts on the weekends I found many weekend warriors were out for a good drunk up and make enough ruckus to scare off any fish under the ice for miles. Like we must have 40 years ago. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker