Remote car starter

Old Ironmaker

Have a call out to the KIA dealership in Hamilton as well as Crappy Tire. I'm not about to spend 500 bucks on one but might have to. My wife pointed out that 500 bucks is 3 nights in a place I rent in Florida when we go. Actually it's me that wants one, not her. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

33 minutes ago, lew said:

You know my feelings on ice fishing Brian LOL

Lew, I have I given up on getting you out again. Just so you know, I have coffee,and huge  toasted ,bacon,egg,tomato sandwiches in a heated hut,if you do decide to ever join. I was only joking about the hard labor of dragging. :canadian:

One of my most cherished memories I have had in life was an Ice trip to Nipp with 10 of my US relatives of which 3 have left us. One of which was born and bred in Atlanta and had never seen more than 2" of snow in his life. Too tired and sore now to write a short story (hopefully short), maybe latter. 

Fishing did come into play a few times, like my Johnny Reb cousin lipping a Pickerel followed by lipping a Pike. How do you know you're a Red Neck? 

I am sitting here with a smile on my face ear to ear and laughing just thinking of it. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I understand that as far as the vehicle is concerned, warming up before driving off is not necessary. I’m trying to put less carbon in the air. Having a cold engine running for 10-15 min uses a lot of fuel to just warm things up a bit. Seems a waste to me. 

On another note, they are seeing a significant increase in car thefts. Seems thieves are able to capture the signal from keyless FOBS from outside  your house and use  that to open and start the car. These FOBS are constantly communicating with the car. 

4 hours ago, captpierre said:

I understand that as far as the vehicle is concerned, warming up before driving off is not necessary. I’m trying to put less carbon in the air. Having a cold engine running for 10-15 min uses a lot of fuel to just warm things up a bit. Seems a waste to me. 

You are 100% right catpierre. My wife worked to midnight and I was up when she got home we talked and we decided not to install a remote starter. It is not only bad for the environment, not only a waste of fuel but it is illegal to sit  That came out a few years back. Sitting in the drive through at Timmies with the car running one can actually be fined. I've yet to see it or hear of anyone getting a ticket. I actually do shut off the car or truck at Hortons, sitting in line, going through a drive through car wash, getting out to get the mail or putting out the garbage to save fuel. The 500 bucks will go to something we really need.

No one mentioned a block heater, they work. That is if nobody drives away with it still plugged in. Don't ask because I'll tell you it was I. 

The owners manual for the last 3 vehicles, 2007 to 2014, it specifically states not let the car warm up in idle, drive as soon as started. Anyone know why? I know someone here does. 

Thanks all for your good comments, it made the decision easier. 

Johnny D

Edited by Old Ironmaker

10 hours ago, misfish said:

Lew, I have I given up on getting you out again. Just so you know, I have coffee,and huge  toasted ,bacon,egg,tomato sandwiches in a heated hut,if you do decide to ever join. I was only joking about the hard labor of dragging. :canadian:

I've always appreciated your invites over the years Brian but ice fishing never became an interest of mine. In the nearly 17 years I've been on this board I've been out 4 or 5 times but it was always just for the laughs rather than the fishing and now that I've retired from fishing all together it's even further down my list than bowling LOL

Here's a pic from I think the 1st OFC G2G from maybe 2002 or 2003 and it could have even been you that took it but it was for sure a fun day.

post-72-0-24918100-1416954364_thumb.jpg

Just now, lew said:

I've always appreciated your invites over the years Brian but ice fishing never became an interest of mine. In the nearly 17 years I've been on this board I've been out 4 or 5 times but it was always just for the laughs rather than the fishing and now that I've retired from fishing all together it's even further down my list than bowling LOL

Here's a pic from I think the 1st OFC G2G from maybe 2002 or 2003 and it could have even been you that took it but it was for sure a fun day and thinking back to that day there's only a few of us left around here now.

post-72-0-24918100-1416954364_thumb.jpg

Just remember you are getting ZERO miles per gallon when it's warming up.......not a big deal with a small 4 cylinder car but V-8 can really eat up gas just sitting there.

BTW the best place to steal a vehicle is at a gas station when the driver goes inside to pay for the gas.....it's just sitting there all gassed up and warmed up for the thief. . . . just saying.

Like what someone else here already mentioned; factory equipped or dealer installed; if the vehicle is under warrantee. The first thing that a tech at a dealership and myself now, is to disconnect an aftermarket system and rewire the harness back to its original state; if there are some strange electronic issues. I have had to disconnected remote starts that had been working fine for years; due to something in the remotes logic go screwy. Things like power windows not working or going down all on their own, power locks randomly locking and unlocking while driving down the road and my list of strange things could go on and on. All the control modules (computers) on today's vehicles, talk to each other via a serial data line and each module knows what the other's jobs are. Connect an aftermarket cheap knock off of a "known good" system and it sends skewed data down the serial data line, could confuse the other modules; causing them to make the wrong choices when they receive a command. I'm not knocking all after market remote starts; just the cheap knock offs or a cheap system that offers a lot of functions. Both of our vehicles have remote starts, my truck is a factory system and my wife's is a basic aftermarket by Viper. What I mean by basic is that it starts the vehicle and that's it; the factory fob does the rest. 

As for the comments of fuel usage; yeah sure it uses a bit of gas. But a lot less then driving a stone cold engine, with the computer dumping fuel into the cylinders to keep that engine from falling on its face; when you step on the throttle.

Dan.

Sorry forgot to mention, buy from and have a dedicated automotive electronic shop install your system. Not some pimple faced "trained technician" at your local Best Buy store.

Edited by DanD

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 12:14 PM, DRIFTER_016 said:

You can get aftermarket ones that you can start from anywhere on the planet.

Even some OEM units can do this like the Ford Pass ones.

Just open an app on your phone and click on the start button.

GF has a new Ford Escape,she has Ford Pass,she left it parked in my driveway when she flew to the east coast to visit family.She checked the app on her phone everyday to see if I had driven it.It works ok to remote start IF the cell reception is good,which can be spotty in this neck of the woods.

With the new cellular/bluetooth versions of starters plus the wireless network capabilities of some newer vehicles, how long until someone is able to remotely hack into a car and cause some potentially nefarious problems? I know they have been hacked before as proof-of-concept, so it is possible. Lots of potential things to tinker with or disable that could cause damage to the car or accidents.

* Goes and puts on tin-foil hat *

My dad has done some digging recently and reported the following from a mechanic he was talking too. This guy suggested two brands - Compusmart (or something similar) and Viper. Both had 2 fobs. The Compusmart didn't have a good range and only a one-way fob and cost about $500 + tax installed. The Viper was about $600 + tax installed and had 2-way fobs and longer range. The OEM one I was looking at was around $600 for only one fob. I'm not sure if installation is included in that price. There was also a higher priced OEM one but that had a $50 annual fee to be able to use the app to start it remotely.

I'm not sure if vehicles with push button starts are more complicated than those with keys but you may want to confirm that too.

I have a Ford Escape with remote start (either fob or app) and it is quite handy. The ability to warm it up a couple of minutes before getting into it is nice.

Jon

2 hours ago, Tom S said:

With the new cellular/bluetooth versions of starters plus the wireless network capabilities of some newer vehicles, how long until someone is able to remotely hack into a car and cause some potentially nefarious problems? I know they have been hacked before as proof-of-concept, so it is possible. Lots of potential things to tinker with or disable that could cause damage to the car or accidents.

* Goes and puts on tin-foil hat *

Already been done and proven.

Saw a video of it being done to a Jeep Cherokee.

They were able to hack in remotely and change things like Heat/AC, radio etc.

They were even able to shut the vehicle off while it was being driven down the road.

Found the video. :)

Edited by DRIFTER_016

On 12/5/2018 at 7:58 PM, misfish said:

Take me take me...lol

3 hours ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

Already been done and proven.

Saw a video of it being done to a Jeep Cherokee.

They were able to hack in remotely and change things like Heat/AC, radio etc.

They were even able to shut the vehicle off while it was being driven down the road.

Found the video. :)

Yeah law enforcement already using the technology..

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 10:24 AM, lew said:

I don't think anyone suggested they idle their car for 20 minutes, usually just fire it up while putting on a coat and they're gone, at least anyone I know does it that way.

It takes 20 minutes for women to exit the home "after" they have their coats and boots on. The question of what they are doing for 20 minutes after they are "ready" is as difficult to answer the question of why do we exist as a species?