Remote car starter

Old Ironmaker

York Electronic's and M.A.S.S. are the two companies my dealership use when an OEM one isn't an option for the install.  

A 1-way starter will start the car when you are in range.  A 2-way will send your key fob a message back to let you know it has started and most of the time a 2-way has a longer range to start.  So if you cannot look out and see if said car/truck/suv/van is started then a 2-way is a better option.  

Labour can be anything from 1 hour to 3 all depending on what it (remote) can do and what the wiring is like to set it up.  

2 minutes ago, GBW said:

York Electronic's and M.A.S.S. are the two companies my dealership use when an OEM one isn't an option for the install.  

A 1-way starter will start the car when you are in range.  A 2-way will send your key fob a message back to let you know it has started and most of the time a 2-way has a longer range to start.  So if you cannot look out and see if said car/truck/suv/van is started then a 2-way is a better option.  

Labour can be anything from 1 hour to 3 all depending on what it (remote) can do and what the wiring is like to set it up.  

Don't forget the cost of extras such as relays and bypass modules.

Send her out to start the truck,  Just joking OI. can’t they steal your truck while warming?

OI I keep mine inside and it’s always warm. I even put it in when it’s hot out? 

It may be convenient but also a ticket to theft. I know in Wooddy and other areas close they scope and steal cars that are worming up.

can you put in an engine warmer on a timer  a few hours before you have to go. JUST STAY IN AND KEEP WARM!

OK OI if the truck is old get it stollen! Again another J.

when I used to go to Simcoe many years ago the windows were always fogged for a while. Blower on high  . . . Time is $, get up early, but then at our age just stay in bed for a $2 fish. Just asking again.

1 hour ago, ketchenany said:

Send her out to start the truck,  Just joking OI. can’t they steal your truck while warming?

It may be convenient but also a ticket to theft. I know in Wooddy and other areas close they scope and steal cars that are worming up.

can you put in an engine warmer on a timer  a few hours before you have to go. JUST STAY IN AND KEEP WARM!

Can't be stealin' with a remote starter.

As soon as you hit the brake it turns off.

Now the ones getting stolen are the ones without a remote starter.

Where you go out to your car and start it with the key and go back in to finish your coffee.  ;)

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

Can't be stealin' with a remote starter.

As soon as you hit the brake it turns off.

Now the ones getting stolen are the ones without a remote starter.

Where you go out to your car and start it with the key and go back in to finish your coffee.  ;)

I always wondered about that - never took the time to research and find out.  You just shortened my "list of things to remember to look up sometime" bucket list.  I would venture to say where you live makes you an expert!  I'll be more inclined to get one put in now, when the budget allows.  Thanks for that!

Michael

I've got a 2018 F150 Lariat and the remote is incredible.

Lock the truck with the remote then start it up and it automatically turns on the heater and also the steering wheel heater and in the hot weather the air conditioner turns on.

I can also start the truck from quite a distance and just yesterday it fired up from 1000' away although that was in a straight line with no obstructions.

Don't know anything about the aftermarket units but I'd assume the better ones will also work well.

15 minutes ago, JoePa said:

Gee - am somewhat disappointed - always thought you guys up north weren't bothered by the cold weather - thought you loved it - like they show on those Alaskan TV shows - oh well - learn something every day - keep warm - Joe

We are all getting older and starting to suffer from woosie disease.  10 years ago I too would have scowled at seat and steering wheel heaters, but I got to admit,  they are nice.

22 minutes ago, Fisherman said:

10 years ago I too would have scowled at seat and steering wheel heaters, but I got to admit,  they are nice.

I was the same, never could understand why anyone would want a steering wheel heater but it came as part of a package on my new truck and I must admit, it's pretty darned nice on those frosty mornings to get in and the wheel is already warm LOL

As for heated & cooled seats, those things are as slick as they come, specially the cooled leather seats on steamy hot days when you turn them on and your butt & back are cool as the proverbial cucumber  :thumbsup_anim:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lew said:

I've got a 2018 F150 Lariat and the remote is incredible.

Lock the truck with the remote then start it up and it automatically turns on the heater and also the steering wheel heater and in the hot weather the air conditioner turns on.

I can also start the truck from quite a distance and just yesterday it fired up from 1000' away although that was in a straight line with no obstructions.

Don't know anything about the aftermarket units but I'd assume the better ones will also work well.

You can get aftermarket ones that you can start from anywhere on the planet.

Even some OEM units can do this like the Ford Pass ones.

Just open an app on your phone and click on the start button.

1 hour ago, JoePa said:

Gee - am somewhat disappointed - always thought you guys up north weren't bothered by the cold weather - thought you loved it - like they show on those Alaskan TV shows - oh well - learn something every day - keep warm - Joe

OH, we're fine.

Just don't want to harm our babies by driving them with cold fluids.  ?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ketchenany said:

Ketch, I leave the truck running with the keys in it on the Rez and they don't touch it. A good point though about theft. She works in Caledonia and if she starts the truck before leaving work is like holding a carrot in front of a Rabbit. I really don't want the truck to disappear, I would get killed on the loss payout. A 2way installed at CTC is running around 350 plus tax. I usually go out and start the truck for her. she drives it exclusively in winter, so she can pay me. If there is a good amount of snow I drive the 1/2 KM down the lane to Lakeshore Dr. to see if she can even get out. It's not the amount of snow it's the 5' plus drifts that stop you. 

4 hours ago, DRIFTER_016 said:
5 hours ago, JoePa said:

Gee - am somewhat disappointed - always thought you guys up north weren't bothered by the cold weather - thought you loved it - like they show on those Alaskan TV shows - oh well - learn something every day - keep warm - Joe/

Hate is a strong word Joe but it's close as to how I feel about the cold now There was a day we counted down the days until we could get enough snow to Ski on, the lakes to freeze so we could fish on and trails we could sled on. That was about a dozen ortho surgeries ago. Now I start counting the days when the leaves fall off the trees until they start budding. I know, it makes for a long winter. A few weeks south mid winter is like kissing your sister.

You can get aftermarket ones that you can start from anywhere on the planet.

Even some OEM units can do this like the Ford Pass ones.

Just open an app on your phone and click on the start button.

What's an App big guy?

4 hours ago, lew said:

I was the same, never could understand why anyone would want a steering wheel heater but it came as part of a package on my new truck and I must admit, it's pretty darned nice on those frosty mornings to get in and the wheel is already warm LOL

As for heated & cooled seats, those things are as slick as they come, specially the cooled leather seats on steamy hot days when you turn them on and your butt & back are cool as the proverbial cucumber  :thumbsup_anim:

I've driven cars in winter that didn't have rear windows, discourteous cars from the Mom and Pop Body Shop I dealt with 45 years ago Sam turned that little shop in Hamilton into a national brand country wide). I drove Brit convertibles in winter,  65'Triumph Spitfire and 72' TR6 and a 67' MGB. Forget about cleaning the snow off the windows I had to shovel the snow off the seats first. About $75,000 worth of cars, or more, in todays market. 

Thanks for the help all.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

11 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

I've driven cars in winter that didn't have rear windows, discourteous cars from the Mom and Pop Body Shop I dealt with 45 years ago Sam turned that little shop in Hamilton into a national brand country wide). I drove Brit convertibles in winter,  65'Triumph Spitfire and 72' TR6 and a 67' MGB. Forget about cleaning the snow off the windows I had to shovel the snow off the seats first. About $75,000 worth of cars, or more, in todays market. 

Thanks for the help all.

I know all about driving convertibles in the winter OI, for many years I drove a truck identical to this old girl and when it's 20 below it's not always fun with no heater, no defrost and wipers only on the outside of the windshield.

Chantilly-first-T15-1964-Seagrave-85-ft-

That is one big ragtop Lew! I wonder if it's a coincidence Lew that I started to detest cold weather when I opted to leave the warm confines of an office and started my Operations career on the Docks. We docked and unloaded Lake Freighters up to Jan. 1st some winters and chased miles of belt systems all winter. Picture the systems that they use plaster mining for Gold in The Yukon  but for Iron Ore a few miles more belting and a dozen more receiving hoppers and screen decks. And we didn't shut the operation down once the freeze hit like the Gold guys do, and yes we did try to run water to control dust. I still have nightmares. 

I had an opportunity to join you guys when I had just gotten married, my FIL was a Firefighter in Hamilton and they were looking for new guys, no gals back then. I chose not to not because of the hard work or the tough environment but because I didn't think I had the mindset to deal with the aftermath of dealing with the tragedies, especially kids. You guys have different DNA than most. Thanks for your service Lew. 

Drifter somehow I missed your comment about a remote being theft proof. Good point. I wonder if one gets a break on Insurance. I will ask.