Icy Walleye.

limeyangler

Hi all,

We have had fishable ice here for about 3 weeks now but this was my first outing by quad. Only about 4" of snow on the ground here so chose the quad over the sled, better on gas. The lake I went to is accessible from our shore across the lake and through the bush/skidoo trails, always a fun ride. Had to be a bit mindful when I got there as early ice can vary from place to place. We have 12" on our lake and I'm taking the ice road to work now, but the lake in the video is a different animal to Wabigoon lake. It is deeper and tends to freeze later. Also with the North/ South orientation of the lake it tends to freeze first at the access point and up to a week later in the main basin where I fish. After some checking turns out like most of the lakes here it froze over in one night as the thickness was 8"-9" of clear black ice at the landing and in the main body. Fishing was good and I got a limit within an hour and a half, lots of missed bites too, good fun.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, jerpears1 said:

Oh man. I'm so jealous. Thanks for sharing the awesome vid. 

No problem, I love getting my fix of jealous people, happens every year at around the same time, but by mid January I fade away into mediocracy and insignificance again.....lol.

2 hours ago, limeyangler said:

No problem, I love getting my fix of jealous people, happens every year at around the same time, but by mid January I fade away into mediocracy and insignificance again.....lol.

I'll still be jealous. Getting my ACL repaired so I'm out until at least March if I get out at all....... so super jealous because now is the only time I'd be able to fish. :P

20 hours ago, Headhunter said:

Thanks for posting this Simon,, as always, it was a fun watch! It was also very generous of you to provide some nourishment to those hungry fish! LOL

HH

LOL....I'm losing so many fish so far I have to look at all the free bait they are getting as an investment.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, misfish said:

Simon, Is that full screen with aperture ? I am still playing with my new to me bird. I want to zoom down, but it wont let me.  I can zoom with out aperture.

I am still sad, but ice will be here soon enough..LOL

ERRRRM, you must have the new Mavic 2, mine has no zoom, to get that shot I had to stop, go higher and refund my quad in active mode and keep driving. I have it on auto settings for everything, Just less hassle if not the best results.

18 hours ago, Rattletrap2 said:

Awesome as usual Simon! I can't believe you have that much good ice already, but hey, that is Northern Ontario! Beautiful fish and a great video to boot!

It is definitely early ice this year, like last year, not usual at all to be on the ice road in November that's for sure.

Awesome stuff Simon !!! love the drone footage ....

I stepped out on our cottage lake last weekend (4 inches of ice) so we should be ready to walk out this weekend (carefully)  .. its been minimum -10 all week

can you do a video on your ATV ice fishing accessories .. what works and packing advice ?