Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

We have had fishable ice here for about 3 weeks now but this was my first outing by quad. Only about 4" of snow on the ground here so chose the quad over the sled, better on gas. The lake I went to is accessible from our shore across the lake and through the bush/skidoo trails, always a fun ride. Had to be a bit mindful when I got there as early ice can vary from place to place. We have 12" on our lake and I'm taking the ice road to work now, but the lake in the video is a different animal to Wabigoon lake. It is deeper and tends to freeze later. Also with the North/ South orientation of the lake it tends to freeze first at the access point and up to a week later in the main basin where I fish. After some checking turns out like most of the lakes here it froze over in one night as the thickness was 8"-9" of clear black ice at the landing and in the main body. Fishing was good and I got a limit within an hour and a half, lots of missed bites too, good fun.

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8" of ice overnight!!!!!! Brrrrrr. Another great video They are getting better every outing. What time does it get up there mate?

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

8" of ice overnight!!!!!! Brrrrrr. Another great video They are getting better every there?outing. What time does it get up 

LOL...not overnight, and how and when i get it up is NOYB!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, jerpears1 said:

Oh man. I'm so jealous. Thanks for sharing the awesome vid. 

No problem, I love getting my fix of jealous people, happens every year at around the same time, but by mid January I fade away into mediocracy and insignificance again.....lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for posting this Simon,, as always, it was a fun watch! It was also very generous of you to provide some nourishment to those hungry fish! LOL

HH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Simon

I have been watchin' for the "Limeyangler First Ice Report"

and a good one it is!!!

Gotta like a useable 'Ice Road'   Dec 3.

Cheers

Rick

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, limeyangler said:

No problem, I love getting my fix of jealous people, happens every year at around the same time, but by mid January I fade away into mediocracy and insignificance again.....lol.

I'll still be jealous. Getting my ACL repaired so I'm out until at least March if I get out at all....... so super jealous because now is the only time I'd be able to fish. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome as usual Simon! I can't believe you have that much good ice already, but hey, that is Northern Ontario! Beautiful fish and a great video to boot!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, limeyangler said:

LOL...not overnight, and how and when i get it up is NOYB!

 

What time does the Sunset? I already know when you get up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Simon, Is that full screen with aperture ? I am still playing with my new to me bird. I want to zoom down, but it wont let me.  I can zoom with out aperture.

I am still sad, but ice will be here soon enough..LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Headhunter said:

Thanks for posting this Simon,, as always, it was a fun watch! It was also very generous of you to provide some nourishment to those hungry fish! LOL

HH

LOL....I'm losing so many fish so far I have to look at all the free bait they are getting as an investment.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, misfish said:

Simon, Is that full screen with aperture ? I am still playing with my new to me bird. I want to zoom down, but it wont let me.  I can zoom with out aperture.

I am still sad, but ice will be here soon enough..LOL

ERRRRM, you must have the new Mavic 2, mine has no zoom, to get that shot I had to stop, go higher and refund my quad in active mode and keep driving. I have it on auto settings for everything, Just less hassle if not the best results.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Rattletrap2 said:

Awesome as usual Simon! I can't believe you have that much good ice already, but hey, that is Northern Ontario! Beautiful fish and a great video to boot!

It is definitely early ice this year, like last year, not usual at all to be on the ice road in November that's for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

 

Thanks for sharing - really enjoy being there with you although I'm so far away - we hardly get any good ice down there anymore like it was years ago - stay safe and healthy - Joe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome stuff Simon !!! love the drone footage ....

I stepped out on our cottage lake last weekend (4 inches of ice) so we should be ready to walk out this weekend (carefully)  .. its been minimum -10 all week

can you do a video on your ATV ice fishing accessories .. what works and packing advice ? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×