Braided line fluro leader

Acountdeleted

2 hours ago, spincast said:

ya might wanna try one of these Jer.  I know a few guys who swear by them. 

http://luremaking.com/catalogue/catalogue-index/catalogue-items/tools/fast_knot_tyer.htm

Thanks. Looks pretty handy. I'll see if they have one at Sail today. 

Lots of good advice in this thread. Thanks everyone. 

19 hours ago, misfish said:

Well I can tie a uni to uni quicker then that, and my tag ends are the same.  Too each their own. LOL

Hope all is well Simon.

X2 

I can tie a double uni nearly with me eyes closed and in a fraction of the time.    They really are very easy to tie once you get used to it.

1 hour ago, BillM said:

That's all I ever use.   Steelheading, icefishing, whatever.   

Me too. The swivel is handy to have on your line as well.  

Btw....i never reel the swivel through my rod tip with a fish on. Ever. If im icefishing i use a shorter leader....about the length of my rod, so 28-36" or so. Thats enough. The swivel will take out the ceramic in the rod tip for sure after a while and you risk the fish taking a run and breaking the leader if the swivel gets caught. 

S  

• Like 1

On 12/3/2018 at 12:39 PM, jerpears1 said:

Hey everyone, 

I figured before I started fixing up my gear for ice season I would get some advice from everyone. I have always heard for Lakers to use braid and then add a fluro leader (i’ve Heard different lengths) to the end to ensure best hooksets without the fish seeing the line. 

The problem I have had is that when I add a 18 inch to 2 ft leader 1) I can’t get the snap swivel through the eyelets of the rod to hook the lure on to the eyelets when i’m Done for the day. 2) I can’t get the snap swivel through the eyelets when i’m Reeling up the fish meaning I usually have to either stand up or back away from the hole making landing the fish super hard. 

Have any of you had this dilemma? What did you do to solve this? Any gear recommended for smaller or narrower snap swivels? 

Thanks. 

Using a Uni-Uni or a Crazy Alberto is how I join my fluorocarbon leaders to my braided line!

• Like 1

I struggle with knots - but I have found this one to be reliable and strong and easy to tie

https://www.seaguar.com/applications/knot-guide/63-seaguar-knot.html

To tie flouro to my lure I like this knot as it won't shear on itself (unlike a traditional clinch)

https://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/san-diego-jam-knot

Cheers

Gordy

I realize that I am coming to the party late on this subject but I have to agree with David Chong on the Alberto knot.  I also use the FG knot and it is dependent on the size guides on my rods. For standard guides I use the Alberto knot, however on my rods with micro guides I find the FG knot goes through the guides better without trying to hang up on them.  As for the video below I don't use the rings they show in the video to help tighten up the knot. The Alberto is really easy to tie and less time consuming than the Uni to Uni. As for length of leader I go with  a 6 foot leader. Since your probably using Ice fishing rods 18 to 24 inches probably is all you need as the amount of light available should keep your braid relatively hard to see by the fish.

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 5:01 PM, misfish said:

Are you questioning here? Or doughting us ?

LOL

I use the same knot going mono or braid, to floro. Ice rods,float fishing . Like said,Get that line wet when clinching.

I like the uni to uni, as I can tie it with my eyes closed. Simple.

No disrespect to my friend here, but you will damage the eye eventually. You will get sharp edges on the eye and you will break your line. This was my findings. Like said, No disrespect.

Not ice fishing but I have lost too many good and expensive hardware trying to tie braid to flouro. I use a micro swivel on all my downrigger rods. Yes damage can happen to the eyes and or line when the swivel is spooled onto the reel. A dab of super glue on the swivel works for me. No broken line so far, around 8 years since I started long lining for Eyes on Erie ( the most boring style of fishing by the way).  I plan on fishing next year and have plenty of time to practice knots this winter. 

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 7:47 AM, jerpears1 said:

Thanks. Looks pretty handy. I'll see if they have one at Sail today. 

Lots of good advice in this thread. Thanks everyone. 

jerpears let us know if you find one of these gizmos at Sail please. Will it work with flouro to braid? 

6 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Not ice fishing but I have lost too many good and expensive hardware trying to tie braid to flouro. I use a micro swivel on all my downrigger rods. Yes damage can happen to the eyes and or line when the swivel is spooled onto the reel. A dab of super glue on the swivel works for me. No broken line so far, around 8 years since I started long lining for Eyes on Erie ( the most boring style of fishing by the way).  I plan on fishing next year and have plenty of time to practice knots this winter. 

I know you don't like my long videos,,,, LOL

But every laker caught is uni/uni braid  to floro. Ice fishing same thing. River, same thing, unless I am slip floating, down rig same thing. :tease:

Uni to uni for me in most situations. I used to use the micro swivels, but I like the longer leader and as small as they are, they get ice build up and get stuck in the guides.  

The micro swivel on the shorter leader would also attract fish past my bait in some situations, especially panfish. I've had crappie more interested in the swivel than the bait, almost thought of freelining a micro swivel....lol. 

What I did like about the micro swivels was it helped avoid line twist. Nothing worse than trying to present a bait motionless when all the while it is doing the 'helicopter' under your feet. I got round this by using micro snap swivels at the hook end.

The FG knot is AMAZING! However, given the size of line I use for ice fishing the FG not is useless as it is only effective using very mismatched line diameters, i.e. thin braid and fat fluorocarbon.  

I would say go with a long leader( fluorocarbon has very little stretch compared to mono) and uni to uni with or without a micro snap at the hook end. Keep some micro swivels with you and watch your fish finder, if fish are coming up but not biting change things up or take up golf.?

Edited by limeyangler