Braided line fluro leader

Acountdeleted

Hey everyone, 

I figured before I started fixing up my gear for ice season I would get some advice from everyone. I have always heard for Lakers to use braid and then add a fluro leader (i’ve Heard different lengths) to the end to ensure best hooksets without the fish seeing the line. 

The problem I have had is that when I add a 18 inch to 2 ft leader 1) I can’t get the snap swivel through the eyelets of the rod to hook the lure on to the eyelets when i’m Done for the day. 2) I can’t get the snap swivel through the eyelets when i’m Reeling up the fish meaning I usually have to either stand up or back away from the hole making landing the fish super hard. 

Have any of you had this dilemma? What did you do to solve this? Any gear recommended for smaller or narrower snap swivels? 

Thanks. 

I have just always used a short enough lead so that I don't have to worry about the swivel going into the eyelets. I really don't think a shorter lead scares the fish especially if your after lakers or anything in deeper water.  Another option I have used is I tape some black electrical tape around the bottom of the butt of the rod. Then when I'm ready to call it a day or I'm moving I hook my lure into the electrical tape which saves your cork or whatever material is on your butt from getting damaged. Taping it to the very bottom also will give in most cases at least another foot longer you can tie your leader.

10 minutes ago, misfish said:

1- 6ft leader

2- uni to uni

No swivel to worry about.

It,s the only way I fish. Hard or soft water.

B what knot do you use? Will a reef or square not work to hold it? 

9 minutes ago, crappieperchhunter said:

I have just always used a short enough lead so that I don't have to worry about the swivel going into the eyelets. I really don't think a shorter lead scares the fish especially if your after lakers or anything in deeper water.  Another option I have used is I tape some black electrical tape around the bottom of the butt of the rod. Then when I'm ready to call it a day or I'm moving I hook my lure into the electrical tape which saves your cork or whatever material is on your butt from getting damaged. Taping it to the very bottom also will give in most cases at least another foot longer you can tie your leader.

This is a really good idea! Thanks. 

36 minutes ago, misfish said:

1- 6ft leader

2- uni to uni

No swivel to worry about.

It,s the only way I fish. Hard or soft water.

Yup!!!

Even better if you use an FG knot as it's more streamline and doesn't catch on the guides.

Especially when using heavier leaders.

I gotta look these up. They didn't teach either of these in college. 

Woof. Just looked these up online. I'm going to be practicing lots after my knee surgery so I don't screw em up. I'd hate to miss a step and lose a good fish because of it. 

Edited by jerpears1

27 minutes ago, Sinker said:

Use a smaller swivel. Mine reel right through the guides easy. Micro. 

I generally tie an improved clinch, to improved clinch knot though.....hasn't failed me yet. 

Simple and effective. 

S. 

How do you know if the swivel is small enough to fit through the hole? (Thinking I may bring my rod into BP with me) 

also to the guys saying a 6ft leader, do you find it effects the hooksets with the stretch in the line at all? 

I don't ice fish but also use the Uni to Uni knot to join flouro to braid mainline. It is an easy enough knot to learn. Just make sure you have a lot of lubrication, especially on the flouro side before you cinch it down. I do not see a need for a swivel at all.

As for the FG knot SirCranksalot, it is best described as a woven knot kind of like a Chinese finger trap. JP DeRose has a good visio on it up on youtube. I have yet to try and tie it since the uni to uni has served me well but the from what I have seen with friends, the knot sails through guides withought making any racket. it is very streamlined.

14 minutes ago, jerpears1 said:

also to the guys saying a 6ft leader, do you find it effects the hooksets with the stretch in the line at all?  

Are you questioning here? Or doughting us ?

LOL

I use the same knot going mono or braid, to floro. Ice rods,float fishing . Like said,Get that line wet when clinching.

I like the uni to uni, as I can tie it with my eyes closed. Simple.

46 minutes ago, Sinker said:

Use a smaller swivel. Mine reel right through the guides easy. Micro. 

No disrespect to my friend here, but you will damage the eye eventually. You will get sharp edges on the eye and you will break your line. This was my findings. Like said, No disrespect.

23 minutes ago, huzzsaba said:

what weight fluoro leader do you use for lakers?

I use 8-10 lb . I will go 6lb for white fish. My braid is 20-30 lb. This is for my ice rods and open water too. The important thing is drag set. Ice fishing you are using a smaller rod. Your drag is your friend. You might of noticed in my laker vids, how the drag peeled . These are strong fish. I have had big fish come up quick. Once they see the surface, or my ugly mug, they want to streak back down to the bottom. Right drag setting, right line set up, will work.

Edited by misfish

5 hours ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

Yup!!!

Even better if you use an FG knot as it's more streamline and doesn't catch on the guides.

Especially when using heavier leaders.

This ^ J. Much quicker than uni 2 uni  

Here's the best instructional video. You can skip the first couple of minutes & git @ 'er. 

11 minutes ago, Pikeslayer said:

This ^ J. Much quicker than uni 2 uni  

Well I can tie a uni to uni quicker then that, and my tag ends are the same.  Too each their own. LOL

Hope all is well Simon.

Edited by misfish

2 hours ago, misfish said:

No disrespect to my friend here, but you will damage the eye eventually. You will get sharp edges on the eye and you will break your line. This was my findings. Like said, No disrespect.

I agree with this Brian. I ruined a guide this way on my most expensive rod. The worst part was I never found the true problem right away and I repeatedly lost fish and tackle to line breaks until I figured it out. I still use a swivel to help with line twist but I ALWAYS tie my leader short enough so the swivel NEVER enters my guides.