What a month, what a year!

grimsbylander

Well, 10 minutes ago I submitted my last assignment for my last university course. I figured if continuous improvement was good for companies, it's good for the people that work for them too. So at the ripe old age of 54, I hope before the end of 2018 I'll be able to apply to graduate for a university diploma. I can't believe how hard it was working full time, helping my wife deal with 2 different cancers in 3 years and go to school. I'm exhausted thinking about it. I think I fished under 10 times in the last two years...I used to get out that many times every month. Over and done.

Last month I also pursued a new position to manage a Canadian sales team and landed the job...I start Monday morning. I must be absolutely out of my mind. I know guys my age planning early retirement and I'm acting like a 30 year old. Oh well, I've lived vicariously through you guys for 24+ months now...hopefully I can start contributing.

1 hour ago, grimsbylander said:

I must be absolutely out of my mind. I know guys my age planning early retirement

LOL Ya I wish too.

All the best to you in your new job Dave. Not sure I will ever be able to stop working, then again, working makes cash for fishing gear and a scooter for when I just want to hit the shore for perch fishing.. LOL

Edited by misfish

Hopefully you'll have more time in the boat!   I'm looking at my last ten years and planning early retirement.  I salute your enthusiasm.  When I'm 54 I'll be scratching days off the calendar not going to school or starting anything new.  That takes some dedication! Good luck.

Wow. Congratulations on your achievements!  Any one of those challenges at any stage is demanding - all at the same time, and you survived? NIce going, it'll be a cake walk from here.  I can 100% relate. Good luck, and hopefully you get some time on the water soon, 

Best of luck with all of it. It sure sounds like you have been a busy man.  I don't know you at all but you sound like someone who enjoys work and there is nothing wrong with that. My wife and I where going to retire together this year at 54-55. I did but she did not. She still loves her job and going into work everyday and the social aspect of it.  Truthfully I think she will work for many many more years.   You gotta do what works for you. 

More importantly best of luck getting out fishing more, because we all know that is the most important?

2 hours ago, misfish said:

LOL Ya I wish too.

All the best to you in your new job Dave. Not sure I will ever be able to stop working, then again, working makes cash for fishing gear and a scooter for when I just want to hit the shore for perch fishing.. LOL

Thanks Brian! Sounds like we're in the same "boat" lol I'm hoping that keeping busy longer will help keep me on this side of the daisies!

2 hours ago, porkpie said:

Hopefully you'll have more time in the boat!   I'm looking at my last ten years and planning early retirement.  I salute your enthusiasm.  When I'm 54 I'll be scratching days off the calendar not going to school or starting anything new.  That takes some dedication! Good luck.

You're one of those guys I envy! lol As long as I can find some balance in my life from here on out I'll be happy. Thanks for the well wishes.

1 hour ago, spincast said:

Wow. Congratulations on your achievements!  Any one of those challenges at any stage is demanding - all at the same time, and you survived? NIce going, it'll be a cake walk from here.  I can 100% relate. Good luck, and hopefully you get some time on the water soon, 

Yes its been tough.The good parts was I didn't know just how hard it all would be or I admit, I don't think I would have taken it all on. Thanks again Spincast.

1 hour ago, crappieperchhunter said:

Best of luck with all of it. It sure sounds like you have been a busy man.  I don't know you at all but you sound like someone who enjoys work and there is nothing wrong with that. My wife and I where going to retire together this year at 54-55. I did but she did not. She still loves her job and going into work everyday and the social aspect of it.  Truthfully I think she will work for many many more years.   You gotta do what works for you. 

More importantly best of luck getting out fishing more, because we all know that is the most important?

Good for you! Truthfully, I'd retire today if I could. I think I would still find enough things to keep me busy and fishing would be right up there. Thanks CPH!

2 hours ago, BlueEye said:

Congrats man ?  Hard work and perseverance pays off on and off the water... 

Thank you very much! That's the message I want my kids to see too. 

1 hour ago, captpierre said:

You don’t want to end with regrets. Good for you to chase your dreams. 

Now kick some new ass but don’t forget to smell the roses and slime the boat!

There's some great advice! Thanks Capt!!

That is absolutely fantastic and congrats to you  Grimsby. I retired, or should I say took my pension from Stelco at a very early age, 45 to be exact. We had 25 and out in the Ironmaking dept. and I took advantage of it in 2000 with 27.5 years of service. The first year I remodeled the cottage to move into. Then I went into business in St. Catherine's. I had a few credits from Mac years earlier and signed up to complete a simple B.A. at Brock at 50. A bucket list thing for me, I really didn't do it for any reason other than to see if I could and make my Mom very happy, I think. I couldn't go full time and it took me 5 years, one of the best 5 years and challenging of my life. I thought I would be the oldest at the University but was surprised that there were many older than I both men and women.  We were popular with both young students and Prof's as we were asked  often for our basically lifetime of employment experiences. It wasn't easy so I know what it took from you to do this. Again congratulations on you achieving your degree as well as the new employment  Grimsby.

50 is the new 30 as long as you don't look in the mirror. It irks me when capable people at middle age or younger that have unfortunately lost their employment and don't do much to find something for themselves. Any course doesn't have to be full time, and it is advantageous to work shifts and weekends if one wishes to fast track it.  As someone that was in the position to hire there isn't much more impressive than to look at a resume and see any education ongoing or completed recently from someone over the age of 30. There is no such thing as too late, too old to stupid or too frightened to get any type of education be it a College, University or an apprenticeship. Too lazy yes. Now one don't even have to enter a classroom as there are very many opportunities to do online courses. There is plenty of financial support from our Governments to get into a program if one qualifies especially if on E.I. 

edit: As if I haven't babbled enough I must add that we had a neighbour that went into his place of business each and every day until the age of 91. His son's obviously were doing much of the heavy lifting but he was there everyday, sometimes Saturdays. So I don't think you are nuts taking on new employment rather than planning your retirement in your 50's. You go Grimsby. You da man. 

Johnny D

Edited by Old Ironmaker