Flipping Rod recommendations

mike rousseau

Hello

this summer I had an absolute blast fishing extremely heavy cover for largemouth

FBB1572E-9624-4888-A952-4213E7BECF7F.jpg

More specifically I enjoyed flipping/punching heavy mats of floating vegetation  

the lightest weight i used all year was 3/4oz but I’d say 90% of the time I was using 1.5oz and I’m gunna get some 2oz cause I had situations late summer where I was struggling to punch through with 1.5oz

Anyone have experience doing this and if so what rod do you recommend?

im currently using a 7’ heavy st Croix avid but I think it’s too small for the heavy weights... I think a 7.5-8’ would do a better job 

thanks 

Mike, things to consider here go beyond the jig weight. Consider your height and the gunnel height of your boat. It can be tough to manage a proper flip with too long a rod if the gunnel is up to your knees lol There are definitely advantages for leverage and getting into those nooks and crannies where the monsters hide but there's nothing more frustrating than the bird's nest after 1.5 ounces hammers the inside gunnel. Just some food for thought.

3 hours ago, grimsbylander said:

Mike, things to consider here go beyond the jig weight. Consider your height and the gunnel height of your boat. It can be tough to manage a proper flip with too long a rod if the gunnel is up to your knees lol There are definitely advantages for leverage and getting into those nooks and crannies where the monsters hide but there's nothing more frustrating than the bird's nest after 1.5 ounces hammers the inside gunnel. Just some food for thought.

I’m 6’4” and gunnels are about 8-10 inches off the deck so clearance shouldn’t be a big issue

2 minutes ago, mike rousseau said:

I’m 6’4” and gunnels are about 8-10 inches off the deck so clearance shouldn’t be a big issue

Sure doesn't sound like it! I'd go for a 8' rod for sure. You'll appreciate the extra leverage because it sounds like you're doing it right...you're not fishing the fringes, you're getting back in the really thick stuff!

On 12/1/2018 at 9:07 AM, mike rousseau said:

Hello

this summer I had an absolute blast fishing extremely heavy cover for largemouth

FBB1572E-9624-4888-A952-4213E7BECF7F.jpg

More specifically I enjoyed flipping/punching heavy mats of floating vegetation  

the lightest weight i used all year was 3/4oz but I’d say 90% of the time I was using 1.5oz and I’m gunna get some 2oz cause I had situations late summer where I was struggling to punch through with 1.5oz

Anyone have experience doing this and if so what rod do you recommend?

im currently using a 7’ heavy st Croix avid but I think it’s too small for the heavy weights... I think a 7.5-8’ would do a better job 

thanks 

Hey Mike, I do a lot of heavy cover fishing and have two rods for it. A Daiwa Tatula Elite Ish Monroe Signature 7'6" and a 8' models, they're' reasonable priced and if you want something less expensive then the new Daiwa Tatula line-up has 2 similar models, all these rods are heavy power and fast action models! The new Tatulas have cork handles and look real nice, I haven't had a chance to try one yet because they're new for this year but handling them down a i-Cast they felt real nice especially for the money!