She made me so PROUD NF

misfish

There was an assembly at my granddaughters school today. It was to honor students for good deeds. From grade 1 to 8 I had no idea that she was part of this.  She was awarded for courage. She stood up for another student that was being bullied. The child she helped,told the teacher what she did.. She is only 6 yoa. A young girl that is being brought up by a single father. Someone is bringing up this child right.

• Like 6

Be proud for sure!!! It takes a lot of courage for a young person to stand up against another; that was/is doing wrong. My son when he was 10, was suspended from school for fighting. I couldn't believe it; he has always been a bigger kid (in size) then most his age. When we heard the whole story; yes he was in a fight and got his butt kicked. But he was portecting a younger kid from a grade 5 kid; that was trying to push the other off the swing set. He took his lumps and the suspension; but I/we knew he did the right thing.

Dan.

Edited by DanD
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DanD said:

Be proud for sure!!! It takes a lot of courage for a young person to stand up against another; that was/is doing wrong. My son when he was 10, was suspended from school for fighting. I couldn't believe it; he has always been a bigger kid (in size) then most his age; but a genital giant. When we heard the whole story; yes he was in a fight and got his butt kicked. But he was portecting a younger kid from a grade 5 kid; that was trying to push the other off the swing set. He took his lumps and the suspension; but I/we knew he did the right thing.

Dan.

Have been there Dan. The old saying was always said, 2 wrongs, don't make a right. But the fights ,let off some steam. ;)

On 12/1/2018 at 8:11 AM, ketchenany said:

You sir set a fine example. I bet those bad kids never go to Bass Pro or an Icefishing Show.

In my line of work, I teach outdoor education to some of the worst of the worst. Students expelled for bullying, fighting, assault, drugs and worse ... I take them some of the places my dad has taken me over the years in hopes that they will build strength of character, patience, people skills, problem solving etc much like I did through my experiences. We start with less crowded spaces until they can be decent people to others. But I work diligently with these young boys, sometimes young men to ensure they think twice before they do what they did to get in trouble again. You are not wrong that many “bad kids” just don’t have the right guidance or examples to follow. I work hard to give them opportunities and skills in a way they don’t feel like they are learning and hope that it will make a difference in the future. Sometimes it’s not always rewarding but when you mKe a difference in one person you know it’s going a long way. Ice fishing in particular is a great lesson provider ... ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, _al87_outdoors said:

In my line of work, I teach outdoor education to some of the worst of the worst. Students expelled for bullying, fighting, assault, drugs and worse ... I take them some of the places my dad has taken me over the years in hopes that they will build strength of character, patience, people skills, problem solving etc much like I did through my experiences. We start with less crowded spaces until they can be decent people to others. But I work diligently with these young boys, sometimes young men to ensure they think twice before they do what they did to get in trouble again. You are not wrong that many “bad kids” just don’t have the right guidance or examples to follow. I work hard to give them opportunities and skills in a way they don’t feel like they are learning and hope that it will make a difference in the future. Sometimes it’s not always rewarding but when you mKe a difference in one person you know it’s going a long way. Ice fishing in particular is a great lesson provider ... ?

I can totally relate to this,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,NUFF SAID

Keep up the great work. Many dont know what they have, till they find it. Guided.

The ice fishing thing is interesting. Hope your not telling them if the screw up, their going for a cold dip. LOL J.K.

B

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 6:47 AM, _al87_outdoors said:

My hats off to you Sir. We need more mentors like yourself. 

Brian, I think she has some pretty good DNA in her. 

I was bullied from the very 1st day of Kindergarten until High School. Bullied to the point of getting stiches in my head when Luker hit me with a rock. I had a list of those I was going to pay back. Unfortunately I became the Bully to those on the list as well as others when in grade 10 I grew 8" and gained 30 pounds of muscle and am ashamed to this day and still try to deal with it 40 years later. I've done my best to try and make right the things I have done wrong when I was an angry child. I can't believe I just wrote that. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

32 minutes ago, misfish said:

I was going to say, but you did. LOL

Lol and proud of this minor detail. Most would mistake me for a male behind a computer screen ... due to my job.. my hobbies ... lucky for my dad right ? A daughter who masquerades as a full blown hunting and fish Tom boy ????‍♀️