Would You Stop Hunting If -

JoePa

If CWD was found in a deer close to the area where you hunt would you continue to hunt - this is a question that will some day surely come up around where I live - https://www.foxnews.com/health/chronic-wasting-disease-spreads-in-wisconsin-should-humans-be-concerned -    

The problem is that a deer could be infected and not show any signs of it for a couple months - just another thing to worry about

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/local/wisconsin/2017/07/07/can-chronic-wasting-disease-jump-humans-concerns-keep-rising/453371001/

Hunting was never an interest for me, but it's seems like we have a different food recall weekly? You even have to be careful of buying food for your animals.

We had a hunt two years ago and a nice Doe should have won an Academy Award. It ran down the hill towards two of us and hit the ground and lay there. Neither of us had fired but a guy on the other side of the hill got a shot at it. It lay there for a bit then then tried to get up several times but kept falling over.  We thought for sure it was mortally wounded. One guy went to take another shot at it and it jumped up and ran away. No blood and no hair anywhere. We called the Ministry and they told us it couldn't be CWD because it wasn't standing in water and not too worry about it! We thought for sure it was either a very good actor or had CWD. 

11 hours ago, pics said:

I love hunting but finding a spot is tough when you live near a major metropolitan area...

Looks we suffer from the same problem. I used to hunt a lot when I lived further north. Now, I can't find a good piece of land when I can get access...and I hunt only with a longbow! Since I have access to all the surrounding lakes and the Niagara, now I fish more.

Oh just great. I never hunted but my kid brother is an avid Hunter, his crew and he drive from the Niagara region to the Manitoba boarder for Moose each and every year.  I just got 10 pounds of Deer meat this past week. Just great. 

After reading the article it would be extremely rare to get sick from it. I'm eating it and I will enjoy it

Edited by Old Ironmaker

If I was in close proximity,  ya I would make a serious effort to go find a different area.  CWD and other variants take a while before they actually show up and by the time they diagnose it, too bad.  As far as I know there's no known cure or fairy powder that will stop it.