Portable Downrigger - - Any Recommendations?

T-Bone

I have a nephew on my list this year that would like a "portable downrigger" for Christmas. This would be used primarily for fishing suspended lakers and would likely be attached to a 16-foot Naden camp boat. 

Any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks. 

Thanks for the references guys; checked out the Scotty and the only thing I believe may be an issue is that it does NOT have a counter on it. There is another portable called a Cannon that has a built-in counter. I'm not a downrigger/troller, so how important is it to have that counter? Would seem to be pretty important to me...but I'm just guessing. 

Thanks again... 

26 minutes ago, T-Bone said:

Thanks for the references guys; checked out the Scotty and the only thing I believe may be an issue is that it does NOT have a counter on it. There is another portable called a Cannon that has a built-in counter. I'm not a downrigger/troller, so how important is it to have that counter? Would seem to be pretty important to me...but I'm just guessing. 

Thanks again... 

The Scotty 1050 Depthmaster has a counter - see http://scotty.com/product/no-1050-depthmaster-23/

9 minutes ago, Sinker said:

The scotty 1050 is what I have, with the portable clamp on mount. It has a counter and works great.  I run 10lb cannonballs off it no problem. 

S. 

I'm not rowing and pulling a 10lb ball Shane. LOL

My transducer holder can be locked in position with just a turn of the screw. No matter where the ball is,I will be able to lock down on it.

7 hours ago, T-Bone said:

Thanks again... 

I like counters on everything.  Rigger, reel etc.  That way if I was catching fish 42 down and 85 feet off the ball I can get back to that instantly without counting passes or watching a screen.  I wouldn't own a rigger without a line counter but everyone's different.