Never Thought It Would Happen

JoePa

I turned 85 this past Saturday - Buck season started today - this is the first time in approximately 60 some years that I didn't get out of bed to go hunting - for some reason I just didn't have the urge as I always had when it came to deer hunting - I'm trying to figure why this happened - the one thing contributing to this lack of urge is maybe the fact that I have a sore shoulder and can't really pick up any heavy thing with my left arm right now  - or is it this thing that happens to everyone eventually when they get old - I don't really know - I'm in very good shape for my age - I always butchered my deer and maybe the thought of all that work kinda turned me off this time - maybe it was the rain that was falling this morning when I got up to take a leak - all my buddies that I used to go hunting with quite years ago and I was the only one still hunting - I guess I will find out this coming Saturday when we can shoot buck and doe and I got a doe license - I will see what happens - hope it isn't a permanent thing that got a hold of me

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Same thing I did Joe . I have been deer hunting since I was 12 going to be 73 in a couple months . I have trouble with the cold my feet and hands mostly . This year is pretty mild weather wise here in PA  . The other problem my wife is not a big fan of deer meat so I give most of it away . Hang in there you are not alone . I'm just happy I can still chase Muskies but with the size of the lures thats starting to slow me down .

You are not alone Joe. I don't hunt, but the same applies to fishing. At 71, I still fish like crazy, but no longer if conditions aren't comfortable. The last week of October, I was at my cabin in northern Michigan to get the boat winterized and to start slowly getting ready to close up the cabin, which was planned for later in November. I also had two half day float trips planned for later in the week. After getting the boat off for winterizing on Monday, I awoke Tuesday to wet, cold (for me...anything under 40) weather. A look at the rest of the week looked pretty much the same. After a cup of coffee, I canceled the two floats, started in earnest closing the cabin, and was back home Wednesday evening. 

Not all that many years ago, only subzero temps, and ice, would have kept me off the water. 

Just the way it is.

However, as Moose says..."motion is the lotion". On that Friday, I was back at my local swimming club starting early on my winter routine of swimming a half mile 4-5 times a week. It honestly makes me feel better physically, but mentally as well. While I do the laps, I plan my fishing itinerary for next season.

I'm another that doesn't hunt but fished since about 1950 and always loved the sport and spent an insane amount  of time doing it. The last 40 odd years was almost exclusively muskies and for alot of years I was averaging close to 100 fish per season and my best year I put 115 in the boat.

The last few years though I was going out less and less even though I live right in the heart of the Kawarthas and am only 150' from Clear Lake and the only serious fishing I did for the last 2 years was 3 weeks both years up on Nippissing and the rest of the time my boat spent 49 weeks a year getting dusty in the garage.

A bud that owns a fishing camp on the West Arm of Nippissing liked fishing outta my boat and told me he'd buy it as soon as I was ready to sell.  I called him one day and gave him a price and he agreed right a way and the boat was his.

I listed most of my musky gear for sale on this board and sold it all very fast and kept my best rods for a couple friends and that was it, I was no longer a fisherman and I don't miss it at all. Never could understand folks doing things they don't really enjoy.

I still keep very active and among many other things I walk 3-4 miles every day and have never felt better in my life.

Here's my boat the day  before I sold it and it's much better now being used than sitting in the garage collecting dust.

001_1.jpg

Edited by lew