Jaw spreader recommendation

LostAnotherOne

Jaw spreaders are great as long as you've got the release tools to make use of them.  The 8in Kobalt bolt cutters from Lowes are a less expensive versions of the Knipex and work great.    If you're chasing ski's I'd suggest a pair.

• Like 1

Thanks guys.  Gonna pic up one of those Cuda jaw spreaders and a pair of 8 inch bolt cutters just in case.  They may be at the bottom of my tackle box for the next 40 years and never used, but I would honestly feel pretty crappy if i lost a fish cause i didnt have them on board.  Thanks

21 minutes ago, _al87_outdoors said:

Hey Lew,

now and then I like to show him what i’ve learned along the way...

It would appear you learned quite a bit along the way LOL

I've known your Dad a long time, he's a great guy.

• Like 1

dont under estimate when you will need a good set of spreaders, a lindy glove and some bolt cutters.

Lindy Fish Handling Right Hand Glove, XX-Large

My second ski absolutely inhaled a twin 10 and fisherpete had to perform a miraculous surgery of reaching deep into a muskys throat to cut a barb, and then revive the fish, cut another hook, revive, finally pulling out the remaining bits stuck in its throat. The along with final revival took 45 minutes, in which the fish then recovered and took off strong. Absolutely no doubt without the proper tools that was a dead 46 inch fish.

I never wear a "glove" to handle fish, but if handling the fish involves lipping a big pike or musky in order to save its life, or shoving your hands way into its mouth..trust me the teeth are sharp, and the infection that comes along with it is nasty as well lol ask me how i know.

Edited by AKRISONER

Baker makes a heavey wire spreader... that’s what I use and like it

most spreaders are not strong enough to open a mouth of a large fish 

Use the spreader to gain access to the hooks for cutting or removal if you have clearance not to damage gills 

Another trick... if your fish are inhaling the bait all the time... use bigger baits

musky were swallowing reg size bulldogs on me so now I only throw mags or pounders and haven’t hade deep hooking issues  

6 minutes ago, _al87_outdoors said:

Your advice is excellent. 

I think my favourite part is when you said that you can only use bigger baits because your fish are so eager... real problem to have in the musky world? I can happily say Never caused any harm to a musky!! 

Spreaders aren't always necessary, but if your not using them pay attention to where your hand goes LOL

020-1.jpg

On 11/28/2018 at 2:21 PM, lew said:

It would appear you learned quite a bit along the way LOL

I've known your Dad a long time, he's a great guy.

Thanks for the kind words Lew! Amanda does make me proud! I'm not sure I like the idea of her getting out fishing more days per year than me.....but I'm working on rectifying that situation! lol