Stuck in Mud

JoePa

I mentioned it in another post where I was down the back in the woods getting firewood when my 1991 Ford 150 got stuck in the mud - at first I tried and tired driving it out but just couldn't - so the next day i went down there with a bottle jack and some wide wooden boards - jacked up the rear wheels and put the boards under them - by the way this truck is a 4X4 but only forward gear works and I needed to back out because there was no room to go forward - with the boards under the back wheels I was able to move the truck a little but then the wheels came off the boards and I was stuck again - by this time my shoulder is real sore from a previous injury - my son said that he could help me on Friday so in the meantime I bought a come along, some chain and a recovery strap - figure that we could try and use the come along to get the truck out of the mud - well the temperatures got down to single digits this pass Tues, Wed, and Thurs - when we went down there on Friday the mud was frozen - I started up the truck and let it warm up a little - put in reverse and drove right out of the mud - so here are the lessons learned - don't drive into the woods when it is real muddy and if you get stuck pray for real cold weather to freeze the mud

• Like 2

First time I bellied out in my F150 ... was lucky my buddy had a winch on his F250 ...and he pulled me right out (after a couple of embarassing pics with me hip deep in mud) ... went straight home and bought a winch specifically designed to fit into that hole in your front bumper where the licence plate goes.... have only used it twice (to rescue other folks) ... but wouldnt go into the bush without it :)