Get ready Cormorants ?

captpierre

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/20/2018 at 5:17 PM, captpierre said:

Let’s hope this gets approved  

https://www.oodmag.com/category/news/

Guys, don’t forget to take 5 min to write a few comments on the Environment Ministry web site re the proposal to open a hunting season for cormorants.  You’ll need to register on the site to comment. It’s easy to do. 

Click on “here” in the OOD article for an easy link. 

This is  our chance to make an impact. Deadline is Jan 4/19. 

Cheers 

43 minutes ago, captpierre said:

Guys, don’t forget to take 5 min to write a few comments on the Environment Ministry web site re the proposal to open a hunting season for cormorants.  You’ll need to register on the site to comment. It’s easy to do. 

Click on “here” in the OOD article for an easy link. 

This is  our chance to make an impact. Deadline is Jan 4/19. 

Cheers 

Thanks for the reminder! DONE! BTW you don't have to register to comment, you can do so anonymously!

The cormies will be hunted deliberately I can certainly assure you. If this passes before April, the bass boats need not worry, as we will have the local lake cormorant free long before end of June (there are only around 30-40 birds on my local lake). They really aren't very hard to hit, much easier than a woodie. They fly in straight lines and don't maverick easily.

Any wary ones that escape will soon vacate, not knowing which of the boats has the hunter in it. The days of nonchalantly sitting in a tree 100yds from my boat will be over, which means their communal nesting islands will no longer be used. 

The best ammo option, and already used during culls, is 22 Quiet subsonic, but that will not be permitted so 12g steel it is.  Bring it on

Edited by Out4Trout

I do hope these Reg's get approved. In the last 2 years, I've spotted at least 2 of those darned things on either Sinclair Lake or on the Grassy River between Sinclair and Kapiskong Lake about 25 Km North-East of Shining Tree. I've love to help maybe delay their spread into the Grassy River system although it's probably inevitable.