What's on your FISHING Bucket List?

David Chong

What's on your Fishing Bucket List? This year, I've been lucky enough to have represented Canada at the inaugural Pan American Bass Championship on Lake Okeechobee as well at the XIV Bass World Championship on lake El Cuchillo in Mexico. I was on the Team Canada with Bob Izumi and got to compete against one of my favourite professional anglers, Roland Martin whom I got to fish with a few years back. Traveling to the B.A.S.S. Team Championships the last few years I got to fish Kentucky Lake, Guntersville and this year the Harris Chain in Florida. My list is still long but I'm slowly working my way through it! Peacock Bass fishing is next up and hopefully next year Sturgeon fishing on the Fraser in BC! So what's on your Fishing Bucket List?

Very cool David. I’m glad you had the opportunity to represent Canada. 

For me I agree with peacock bass fishing as well as sturgeon on the Fraiser. 

Also I want to catch a trout on the fly. 

Some type of bill fish (marlin preferably)

A 20+ pound laker through the ice 

and a 20+ pound northern pike  

I’ve been pretty lucky myself. 5 years ago I was able to go arctic greyling fishing when I spent a year in Alberta and I actually landed one. Never thought that would happen. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jerpears1 said:

Very cool David. I’m glad you had the opportunity to represent Canada. 

For me I agree with peacock bass fishing as well as sturgeon on the Fraiser. 

Also I want to catch a trout on the fly. 

Some type of bill fish (marlin preferably)

A 20+ pound laker through the ice 

and a 20+ pound northern pike  

I’ve been pretty lucky myself. 5 years ago I was able to go arctic greyling fishing when I spent a year in Alberta and I actually landed one. Never thought that would happen. 

What happened to the

Out fish misfish ???????????:lol:

Tarpon are on my top. Now to win the lottery to commence the final.

Edited by misfish
  • Like 1

We are well represented David with you on the team. Did Izumi eat more than fish? I'm only kidding I knew him before he had the show, but did he?

In no particular order:

That 50" Musky

A Musky more than 49.999"

The Muskellunge that goes 50" 

Any sized Grouper that I can catch and eat. My favorite eating fish including Perch and Walleye. 

A nice sized Snook I won't eat. 

The 14.01" Perch to beat my fishing partners many 14"ers. 

• Like 1

Same thing as every year. A 15 inch perch. Have probably caught 100's by now over 14 with 14 7/8 being the biggest but I just can't get that 15 incher.  In 30 years on Simcoe I have had a few that I  have lost at the hole while ice fishing that I'm sure where over 15...but they don't count.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, huzzsaba said:

catch a simcoe lake trout this winter.  that will be a first for me!

someone do this guy a solid and get him one...that one is easily achieved.

For me, 50+ inch Georgian bay musky

Tarpon on the fly

A 5+ lb largie out of Lake Marion

A Georgian Bay lake trout through the ice. (really tough to do because ice only happens a couple times a decade)

Edited by AKRISONER
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, crappieperchhunter said:

Same thing as every year. A 15 inch perch. Have probably caught 100's by now over 14 with 14 7/8 being the biggest but I just can't get that 15 incher.  In 30 years on Simcoe I have had a few that I  have lost at the hole while ice fishing that I'm sure where over 15...but they don't count.

I was told in no uncertain terms by a infamous Perch Charter guy on Erie that limits out each and every time he goes on the water who will go to his grave screaming there is no such thing as a 15" Perch in Ontario or any other place in the World. So you must be mistaken. He could tell you himself but he is banned from most every fishing forum that exists. Here too if I'm not mistaken. I'll still try for a 14. Baby steps. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

I was told in no uncertain terms by a infamous Perch Charter guy on Erie that limits out each and every time he goes on the water who will go to his grave screaming there is no such thing as a 15" Perch in Ontario or any other place in the World. So you must be mistaken. He could tell you himself but he is banned from most every fishing forum that exists. Here too if I'm not mistaken. I'll still try for a 14. Baby steps. 

http://www.gameandfishmag.com/editorial/new-ohio-state-record-yellow-perch/193096

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Perhaps your Erie charter guy should give Simcoe a go then OI? My nephew got a 15  four or five falls ago at a favourite fall spot we fish and I have two other Simcoe perch fanatic friends who have both done it. So I can safely say they exist on Simcoe. I just have not been lucky enough to land one in my 1000's of attempts.

• Like 1

I'm up for a peacock bass, but out of the Amazon! and of course anything else that bites in those waters.

A 5 lb + male brookie, just so I can get a cool picture with all those amazing colours.

Tarpon would be on the list also, but I worry about my back.  I might have missed my opportunity when I was in St. Marteen, saw them all over the place and didn't have a rod with me. Fishing didn't seem to be a big thing there.

Really, the list is endless...................

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, crappieperchhunter said:

Perhaps your Erie charter guy should give Simcoe a go then OI? My nephew got a 15  four or five falls ago at a favourite fall spot we fish and I have two other Simcoe perch fanatic friends who have both done it. So I can safely say they exist on Simcoe. I just have not been lucky enough to land one in my 1000's of attempts.

I really don't want to deal with that nutbar. Them there are real deal Super Jumbo Perch.

Edited by Old Ironmaker
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jimmer said:

Tarpon would be on the list also, but I worry about my back.  

dont do it...its somewhat ruined fishing for me forever more lol. Hooked a 20lb "baby juvenile" lol in 4 FOW on spinning gear...imagine the power of a musky while fighting like smallmouth.

9 foot leaps out of the water...good luck finding a comparable fight.

I wanna get one on the fly the next time im down south. Never landed either of mine that i hooked into either, after 5 incredible leaps they both spit the hook.

I didnt "bow to the king" quick enough.

Edited by AKRISONER
  • Like 2

Good on ya Dave representing the True North Strong and Free!

Still looking for my 50 inch Georgian Bay Musky, can never beat the 47 mark.  Still trying to get my girlfriend on any sized-ski (for all the hours I put her through with only pike to show lol). 

15inch perch do exist, out of all places I got once bass fishing on Canal a few years ago.  Had a forehead on it.

Agreed, saltwater fish are a different alien...headed down to Florida in December, can't wait! While those silver kings are a hoot I spend my time chasing Spanish mackerel, tasty buggers if you can get in them.

Edited by Reef Runner
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Reef Runner said:

Good on ya Dave representing the True North Strong and Free!

Still looking for my 50 inch Georgian Bay Musky, can never beat the 47 mark.  Still trying to get my girlfriend on any sized-ski (for all the hours I put her through with only pike to show lol). 

15inch perch do exist, out of all places I got once bass fishing on Canal a few years ago.  Had a forehead on it.

Agreed, saltwater fish are a different alien...headed down to Florida in December, can't wait! While those silver kings are a hoot I spend my time chasing Spanish mackerel, tasty buggers if you can get in them.

Spanish Mackerel are a blast. I thought I had a good fish the first time I caught one and was quite surprised when it came to the side of the boat and was maybe 2 pounds.

• Like 1

WOW, some very impressive goals! Trust me my is endless as well but we'll just keep knocking them off one at a time! Might try for a tarpon in a couple of weeks as well! Let's get those who want a Laker through the ice on Simcoe out, maybe we should have a OFC Meet & Greet out there!!! As for those who are looking for a 15" Perch, we have 2 bodies of water with Lake Simcoe & Lake Erie which can both kick out 15 inchers! I do believe that Lake Erie just produced an Ontario record perch this spring! Keep coming with these bucket list goals, some cool ones in there!

Giant male arctic char from the Tree River.  50+ in pike (Short by 1.5in), double digit brookie (I've got close but no cigar) 40+lb laker.   Also putting a pattern together for those open water  pelagic muskies in GBay would be really satisfying.  

Oh add a Skamania to the list as well.  

• Like 1