Jds63

Uncut Angling - Panoptix for musky

That unit sure gives lifelike images, in shallow water at least. I wonder what kind of hit the pocket book will take? 

Be careful boy's and girl's, those docks get slippery and that water is chilly this time of year. Don't ask. 

4 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

That unit sure gives lifelike images, in shallow water at least. I wonder what kind of hit the pocket book will take? 

Be careful boy's and girl's, those docks get slippery and that water is chilly this time of year. Don't ask. 

like any new tech, you gotta pay to play

The concept isnt that far fetched when you think about it...you take a  flasher, and then you take side/down imaging...what do you get a live 3d hybrid of them. The tough part is figuring out how in the hell to do it.

Guarantee that Humminbird and Lowrance are scrambling to figure out how in the hell they are doing it. or at minimum, figuring out a cost effective manner of developing the technology. Right now at least while the tech is still very very high priced, Lowrance and Bird are staying with their bread and butter...although to be honest Lowrance IMO is in big trouble, they arent even close to competing on price point at the moment with Humminbird. The only reason i can see people are still using Lowrance is because its what the old guys have always used and their mapping is slightly better.

But is that enough to justify their high price point...IMO not a chance. The Helix units out now deliver better imaging, autochart live and support for navionics, at a stupid low price and if you are talking to the average fisherman, and folks that dont ride in 6 figure offshore and bass boats, the "network" capabilities of the HDS units arent a selling point. 

Every younge person that i personally know that has recently purchased a graph has bought a helix. The reason is simple, its cheap, has great imaging, and navionics does the job just fine.

Talk to the pros...their next unit is going to be a garmin because they can afford to pay to play.

Edited by AKRISONER

Really cool stuff - I'm an avid musky angler myself and that is awesome to see in real time.   Wonder how Hummingbird and Lowrance will respond...

Thanks Akri, a good explanation for a technically challenged Boomer. Hey, I used to install 8 tracks, so not that technically challenged. Some even had 4 speakers, Quadriphonic 8 track from Muntz Car Audio. I paid about 25% for that stereo as I did for the 1970 Thunderbird. And I tell you it sounded as good or better than what you can get today without spending big money and filling the trunk full of amps. I think it was 100 watts per channel, and crystal clear. But then again the interior of the car was the size of Hamilton Place Theatre. 

Anyone remember Muntz? 

2 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Thanks Akri, a good explanation for a technically challenged Boomer. Hey, I used to install 8 tracks, so not that technically challenged. Some even had 4 speakers, Quadriphonic 8 track from Muntz Car Audio. I paid about 25% for that stereo as I did for the 1970 Thunderbird. And I tell you it sounded as good or better than what you can get today without spending big money and filling the trunk full of amps. I think it was 100 watts per channel, and crystal clear. But then again the interior of the car was the size of Hamilton Place Theatre. 

Anyone remember Muntz? 

you also didnt have hip-hop that needs two 12 inch subs requiring a 4 farad capacitor and 500 watts of power to rattle the trunk but also keep your headlights on when the bass hits lol.

ahhh to be 19 again ahaha

Edited by AKRISONER

I just got some serious sticker shock. Amazon has the rear transducer on for only $1739.46 CDN and the front trolling motor transducer for merely $4315.46/shipping included. Ice fishing mount is only 200 bucks. They only want 50 bananas for a 3 buck clamp to hold the trolling motor transducer on. 

No price for the unit itself of which I could now care less. For those prices I could hire a diver to film the bottom. 

Many won't pay to play the game.   The vid was great however.    I think the biggest thing I took from it was fishing muskie with an umbrella rig, lol.

• Like 1

It is a nice unit. I cant get over the definition of the fish. Very cool. All I know is when I see a streaking line coming up from the depths, it,s a laker or a whitie. Works for me.LOL

Thanks for posting this. I enjoyed it.