denny's dam

muskybw

41 minutes ago, BillM said:

I'm usually there in less then 2.   Although I speed quite a bit and take the back way, lol.

I like the tour route.LOL

Ok,lets go,yer driving. LOL

Edit to add

Theres a back way ?

Edited by misfish

Well since no one wants to post up chromers here are  a few from separate outings Not Dennys Dam but it close by

i think i did well this season not only learning more about float fishing but incorporating beads when things slow down i think its time i get a centerpin

any suggestions?

I'm done for the year bring on the HARD WATER!

IMG_0328.JPG

IMG_0462.JPG

IMG_0487.JPG

Edited by DJGeneral

DJ general --nice fish, i didn't look like you had a lot of water where you were ? i tried the centre pins on a 13 ft. pole, i don't know ? i have 3 daiwa tournament ss 1300's reels, on 9,10,11 ft - loomis blanks. i use yarn, lots of colors & purple sponge balls, bottom bouncing with a few splits above a 3 ft. floro leader. i fish the maitland & bayfield rivers. -- i'm 67, i can't see well enough to tie a # 2 hook on 2 lb. floro leader ? your much younger and should have no problem tying or casting, i couldn't master that either ? the bayfield river, if the water is low, this yr. -i will use 9 ft, 7 wt. looms fly rod with a cheap browning reel on it, works well together.   DJ  - if you got all those nice fish on a centre pin, that's your story, stick to it .

11 hours ago, muskybw said:

DJ general --nice fish, i didn't look like you had a lot of water where you were ? i tried the centre pins on a 13 ft. pole, i don't know ? i have 3 daiwa tournament ss 1300's reels, on 9,10,11 ft - loomis blanks. i use yarn, lots of colors & purple sponge balls, bottom bouncing with a few splits above a 3 ft. floro leader. i fish the maitland & bayfield rivers. -- i'm 67, i can't see well enough to tie a # 2 hook on 2 lb. floro leader ? your much younger and should have no problem tying or casting, i couldn't master that either ? the bayfield river, if the water is low, this yr. -i will use 9 ft, 7 wt. looms fly rod with a cheap browning reel on it, works well together.   DJ  - if you got all those nice fish on a centre pin, that's your story, stick to it .

That first fish i had to walk downstream so i could land it as i didn't have my waders wasn't a planned trip to the river we just stopped in after night crappie fishing good thing i had my vibrax and my panther martins with me that day, i haven't upgraded to a center pin as of yet thinking about doing it this spring since i did so well on a spinning reel set up

hi there Bill M-- i'm glad to hear somebody loved fishing the bayfield river. i use to go every spring, opening day, stay 10 days in rainbow valley campground, $ 6 bucks a day ! old joe brandon, that owned the hardware store in town, owned the campground. no hydro, no sewers. 3 outhouses, 2 wells with continuous running water & a dump station ! i called it hobo heaven ? but the fishing, if the water was high enough, was amazing ! i did for a dozen yrs. i knew every hole in the river, right to the highway bridge in the town of VARNA , 7 miles upstream. i caught over those yrs., maybe a dozen yrs., a couple of hundred bows, not a lie. i loved it in hobo heaven, but i really loved the beautiful river & town of bayfield ! i then moved farther north to goderich, bought a 2 bedroom trailer, right on the maitland river, GOD'S COUNTRY, 20 yrs. of nothing but great scenery & fishing !  WOW, THOSE WERE THE DAYS !!!

4 hours ago, muskybw said:

hi there Bill M-- i'm glad to hear somebody loved fishing the bayfield river. i use to go every spring, opening day, stay 10 days in rainbow valley campground, $ 6 bucks a day ! old joe brandon, that owned the hardware store in town, owned the campground. no hydro, no sewers. 3 outhouses, 2 wells with continuous running water & a dump station ! i called it hobo heaven ? but the fishing, if the water was high enough, was amazing ! i did for a dozen yrs. i knew every hole in the river, right to the highway bridge in the town of VARNA , 7 miles upstream. i caught over those yrs., maybe a dozen yrs., a couple of hundred bows, not a lie. i loved it in hobo heaven, but i really loved the beautiful river & town of bayfield ! i then moved farther north to goderich, bought a 2 bedroom trailer, right on the maitland river, GOD'S COUNTRY, 20 yrs. of nothing but great scenery & fishing !  WOW, THOSE WERE THE DAYS !!!

I usually fish from Varna down :)   I'm sure the Saugeen is loaded with fish, just gotta keep an eye on the water levels.  Funny thing about that river I've found is that even if it's high and off colour they like the smaller stuff.  I never do well there running big bombers.  Usually just chartreuse or pink, 3-4 chinook eggs is all it takes and long leads.

36 minutes ago, craigdritchie said:

That is one sweet looking coho. Nice fish man.

Thanks Craig! didnt know what it is tbh i thought it was an atlantic or a bow either she lived to see another day!

28 minutes ago, BillM said:

I usually fish from Varna down :)   I'm sure the Saugeen is loaded with fish, just gotta keep an eye on the water levels.  Funny thing about that river I've found is that even if it's high and off colour they like the smaller stuff.  I never do well there running big bombers.  Usually just chartreuse or pink, 3-4 chinook eggs is all it takes and long leads.

I remember last year around this time we were chucking spoons at the dam and we were hitting them pink and chrome work the best

3 hours ago, muskybw said:

BillM--the last time you were at denny's dam, did you camp on the flats, or just a day trip ? i just wondered if the HAMILTON STEELHEADERS, were still running the show on the flats, camping permits & putting fish over the damn, fish ladder ? 

I just make a day trip out of it.   If the Geen isn't fishing there are a few other options close by to try and salvage the day.