Shortest fall season ever

singingdog

Serious question, was this the shortest boating season in southern ontario...maybe ever? or at least in the last what 40 years?

Remember how cold it was this spring? We actually didnt have ice out in Pointe Au Baril until the 3rd of May, it was the first time ever in my time that the lake wasnt opened up for pike opener. Jeez i remember working on the boat in the middle of April in Georgetown and it was -12!

Ive got a photo on my phone, April 29th, theres still snow on the ground and ice on the lake.

Pointe Au Baril Harbour froze up on Monday night...Maybe some of the legends around here can speak to what it was like back in the 70s and 80's but the 90's and 2000's were never this cold this early and late I can assure you of that...damn in the 2000's we had a couple of winters that just didnt happen at all!

Edited by AKRISONER

15 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

Serious question, was this the shortest boating season in southern ontario...maybe ever? or at least in the last what 40 years?

1995, Terry and I were ice fishing little lake solid 4" mid Nov. St.John the same. Never stopped til mid April. That was a long ice fishing season.

Protected bays on couch are freezing up already as of yesterday.

Edited by misfish

It's no different on the south side of Erie, temps are running 15 - 20 degrees below normal for this time of year, snow on the ground and windy. Most years I didn't think of putting the boat up for the season until after Thanksgiving day here, a lot of years I could have waited almost until Christmas.

Previous years, look at the dates, it hasn't been a good year for fall boating on Lake Erie.

Fall? What Fall? It is usually my favorite season of the year, especially that Indian Summer we usually get mid October. We all get together for Thanksgiving out here and for the last few if not more than a few years we were all in short sleeves tossing Horse shoes before dinner. Not this year. It was August then with a blink of an eye it is snowing. I had the A/C on the week before Labour Day and the next week on went the furnace. 

37 minutes ago, crappieperchhunter said:

For years I have said the fall is my favorite time of year. What the hell happened this year? 

Steve

Once the salmon start their run here, I am on it and the steel head follow. Lots of fishing for me til ice. That is how I roll. I will not dought, there will be a big warm up before the ice comes.

Yep 2  years ago Mr. Bunk. We all drive to Florida in November to fish and golf with the boys and call home and it was in the high teens here. Still had a great time regardless. The fishing was fabulous, golf not so much. Nothing like fresh stuffed Sea Trout on the Q the same day as caught. 

It was around November 20-25 or so two autumns back that I fished muskies 7 days in a row during that heatwave. Only caught one on the last day when the weather was turning cold. There was a day or more that reached 20+C I believe.  This October out there plenty, man it was cool some days. Winter tires shoulda been on for folks before Halloween I guess.

Nothing but cold and wind.  Went on my yearly splake/bow trip in FMZ 8 late October and had to break ice and camp in a few inches of snow and subzero temps.  Tomorrow will be the earliest I'll have ever gone ice fishing, so I'll take the good with the bad I suppose.

I wish you hardwater guys the best this winter. I was once a member. Actually went to Bear Creek a few January's ago and caught fish, inside a warm hut. Brought back memories, all good. However I hope to curtail all my ice fishing now to the freezer. 

4 years ago my wife bought me a Musky charter with Dan Columby in the West Arm of Nipissing. When we got there around Oct 30 it was 26C and sunny. Italo was there to film a Musky show and ended up filming a Large mouth show at Maskinongi camp. Lucky for me in a few days it dropped down big time and even with that cold front got to boat a few Musky. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

On 11/16/2018 at 2:59 PM, misfish said:

Steve

Once the salmon start their run here, I am on it and the steel head follow. Lots of fishing for me til ice. That is how I roll. I will not dought, there will be a big warm up before the ice comes.

My love of the fall is more weather related then fishing related Brian. Just love the, throw a hoody on weather, with no bugs to boot. After the 1st week in October when it got up to 27 celsius we have had very little of the fall weather I enjoy. Most days that had the temps I like had rain or too much wind to get out and enjoy them. This fall we where raking leaves at home, at the cottage and at my folks. Literally had 5 days during the last month that a would call decent days to get out and get yard work done.  And now we have 4-6 inches of snow on the ground in Bobcaygeon. Just glad I got the raking done. Now it's back to fishing.

Was in PAB this weekend, saturday wasnt warm, but it wasnt miserable as it has been most of the fall, winds were light and the sun even came out...Then the weather flipped the temperature dropped and the boys woke up in the dark to go catch some more walleye sunday morning, walked down to the dock...the entire lake was frozen over.

We then spent the next hour bustin ice to get it out and then the snow came and we put the other boat away and took the dock out in a total whiteout. Theres over a foot of snow on the ground and the lake is frozen...i wouldnt exactly call it fall anymore.

• Haha 1