smoked chub

muskybw

Like 40  years ago I was buying bait at a bait shop in Pointe Au Baril and the guy tried to put one in my bucket, since I had never seen one before I stopped him and asked what is that? He called it a moon eye, and I passed on that one for bait, just didn't know if it was a legal species for bait.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coregonus_hoyi

Edited by OhioFisherman

40 minutes ago, Woodsman said:

Never heard herring called chub.

When I hear chub I think of this smaller fish.

Creek chub

The smoked chub from the Great Lakes Commercial Fishery are Bloater.
I should have said Cisco rather than Herring.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/suresh-doss-hammerheads-1.4904861?fbclid=IwAR0pg3HWgb7T1fIKF1baosKDKSuBasGYeCaokaLAAkcgq0XaSXip_JMNYqw

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coregonus_hoyi

SPIEL , thanks--- i was introduced to smoked chub 10-15 yrs. ago at denny's dam in southhampton. rainbow fishing late october. i native guy had a cooler full of these smoked chubs in the back of his pick-up. $ 2 bucks each., about 5-6 in. long, looked like a fat smelt. they really stunk, great taste with a cold beer.  the cooler was empty in short time.   WHERE'S THE SMOKED CHUB ??

• Like 1

lmao im just here cause the inuendo is dang killing me.

A quick check on the conservation status of the fish you are talking about would explain why its most likely totally outlawed for commercial fishing...the fish is listed as a species vulnerable to global extinction. with populations collapsing in all areas that it is found.

Alewife predation, sea lamprey and pollution "smoked" the whole population. Hopefully with the total collapse of the alewife and sea lamprey population in Huron the species can make a come back.

Although, if you fish parry sound for lakers...they are munchin on alewife still so i dont know how well it holds up.

Edited by AKRISONER

thanks DRIFTER-016---boy,brings back memories at denny's dam. the fella opened-up his cooler just like yours, filled with smoked lake huron chubs !  they are high in omega 3 fatty acids, more than sockeye salmon, greasy & wonderful to smoke, that's why they must stink sooo bad. lake huron & michigan don't have very many of them, zebra mussels eating their food source on the bottom ( plankton)- maybe ? ---read some google post.

TOM S & FISHERMAN---thanks for the info. you do not want these smoked fish in your house with women & children ! THEY STINK BAD !  there has to be somebody else on this message board that has eaten lake huron smoked chubs, that will tell you they have to be eaten outdoors ? they are tasty, but they stink ?

46 minutes ago, muskybw said:

TOM S & FISHERMAN---thanks for the info. you do not want these smoked fish in your house with women & children ! THEY STINK BAD !  there has to be somebody else on this message board that has eaten lake huron smoked chubs, that will tell you they have to be eaten outdoors ? they are tasty, but they stink ?

Ok, smoked herring, chub what ever you want to call it, aint that smelly. Try smoking just out the front door of your condo. Now that smells,,,,,,,,,,

WONDERFUL.