A Sort of Report of a Portly Speck

Chuck Enwinde

port-ly

1having a stout body; somewhat fat.

2. ARCHAIC
of a stately or dignified appearance and manner.

Seems appropriate.

Headed up North on Friday night and did some shore fishing for walleye.  Got a couple of nice ones including one real tank - looked like it belonged in Quinte.  No pic pics as it was snowin' and blowin' not to mention dark.  Knowing we were going for brookies the next day, I said to my buddy "wouldn't it be something to get a trophy walleye and a trophy speck in a 24 hour period?" 

Well wouldn't ya know it, as I was standing on shore facing straight in to the gale force winds contemplating how much longer to stick it out, I got bit.  I missed him the first time but he gave me another shot -thank the Lord.  I've seen bigger specks but they don't come any more handsome than this fellow.  

You'll have to excuse the hero hold but I was tryna keep my pants clean.  It seems he was happy to see me too lol.    

north bay.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Beauty, nice that there is now some lakes open after the traditional end of Sept closer, they do colour up real pretty in spawning  season. My years in Haliburton , took a few late Sept weeks holiday when the partridge opening week and the last week of specs overlapped, but they were not in full colour yet.

Edited by dave524

OMG was my 1st reaction. I have only even seen a few Speckled Trout in my life and were the size of that beasts tail. I thought I would see a pic of Mr. Bunk holding that behemoth. Photo shop? You both have a resemblance. Older bro? That's a compliment Charles. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Awesome speck! The larger ones can be a tough nut to crack late in the fall, but they dont come much prettier than that.  

Heres a little smaller one from a week back.  When you get lucky with a warm sun and calm winds in late fall you can end up having a bit of a feeding frenzy.

20181104_112353.jpg