What’s the best slip on traction cleats for ice fishing?

PUMP KNOWS

I’m looking for slip on traction cleats to put on my boots for ice fishing.  They gotta be easy to slip on and off and provide good traction.

What are you guys using on the ice?

I forgot which ones I bought last year but they were very hard to slip on my boots.

If I can’t find any, I was thinking of drilling studs to my Baffin Titans.

Edited by PUMP KNOWS

8 hours ago, crappieperchhunter said:

I've been telling people this for probably 20 years. Get a box of 3/8 hex head screws and drill them into the bottom of your baffins. Replace worn screws as necessary.  I usually have to do a few every season. A box of 100 screws will last a long time. No slip on crap to worry about. 

Dont forget to take your boots off before driving home though.

Right Steve ? I remember that story you told.

21 minutes ago, Sinker said:

Had the same set for many years. I only wear them on glare ice, but they are tough and work very well if its slippery. A little heavy, but better than smacking your head off the ice. 

S. 

Had a pair. Hated them. Velcro comes off and your walking on the edge of them.

I've heard good things about Goat Head Sole Spikes, which are screw-in studs similar to sheet metal screws but with a modified shape and tougher material so they stand up better. I was thinking to pick some up to install on my felt bottom wading boots for additional traction.

https://www.goatheadgear.com/pages/ice-fishing

41 minutes ago, SirCranksalot said:

Really? I have a pair like that and they keep falling off no matter what I do. Maybe it depends a lot on the boots. I have Titans.

I wear them on a pair of Baffins! Now I have noticed that there seems to have been different versions of these. Not sure if I just got the right pair or not!

• 1 month later...

get yourself a set of NEOs, they are fantastic, waterproof, and spikes are replaceable.  slide right over your normal footwear.  they fit small though, i wear a size 12 work boot, and need a size 15 neo to fit over them.

http://www.neosovershoescanada.com/

they are standard winter wear at the rail yards for anti slip

I've had these for at least 15 years and still going strong.  XL size fits easy over my size 11 boots.  Only thing is I can only find them at Cabelas.com. I found that some of those others with the big teeth, I ended up stumbling or wrenching my ankles when trying to turn.

https://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=2373394&type=product&WT.z_btnclk=YMAL-2373394&WT.z_pg_ref=prd1804322

Edited by Fisherman

On 12/30/2018 at 9:52 PM, Fisherman said:

I've had these for at least 15 years and still going strong.  XL size fits easy over my size 11 boots.  Only thing is I can only find them at Cabelas.com. I found that some of those others with the big teeth, I ended up stumbling or wrenching my ankles when trying to turn.

https://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=2373394&type=product&WT.z_btnclk=YMAL-2373394&WT.z_pg_ref=prd1804322

marks work warehouse has these. 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I am refreshing this thread to add a thumbs up for Icers cleats for walking on ice.  Lee Valley sells them and my wife got a set and called them a game changer for walking the dogs on icy trails around our place. So I got myself a set too. Fantastic. And made in Canada too (New Brunswick). 

On 1/5/2022 at 11:18 AM, Canuck said:

I am refreshing this thread to add a thumbs up for Icers cleats for walking on ice.  Lee Valley sells them and my wife got a set and called them a game changer for walking the dogs on icy trails around our place. So I got myself a set too. Fantastic. And made in Canada too (New Brunswick). 

If you can get your size. Last year they had sold out of my size by this time of year, and I bought the cheap ones from CTC that work good enough.

2 hours ago, akaShag said:

If you can get your size. Last year they had sold out of my size by this time of year, and I bought the cheap ones from CTC that work good enough.

We tried last year too. They have much more stock now. At least in Burlington store.   I did see a similar style at Crappy Tire last week when I was looking for thermal undies. They did not have as nice strapping though. 

Edited by Canuck
More