Boat Speed .

mrpike

24 minutes ago, BillM said:

Dave, a lot of those guys swear by temps these days as well.   I wish I lived closer to Lake O to actually take advantage of one of those units.  Just too expensive for the half dozen times I make it out there.

50 bucks US https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Fish-Hawk-520-Depth-Counter-Temperature-520-Tested-NEW-Battery-/352508847254

On 11/10/2018 at 8:43 PM, porkpie said:

Yeah I have no problem trusting my GPS.  I have 3 of them on he boat.  2 in my sonars and one in my terrova.  None of them are ever off of each other by more than 0.1mph. If you want you can spend $1000 on a fishawk and clip a probe to your rigger and it will give you your downspeed.  Lots of guys swear by them but they are spendy.

i have downspeed probe an older cannon unit. and my catch rate while downrigginging doubbled.  worth every penny.  Some days downspeed if differnt than surface speed by 1.5  mph.   

If fishing was crappy I'd probably spend the money.  Fact is last season was incredible both on Lake O and Erie.  This season was so good on Erie that I only ended up on Lake O a couple times in the spring and then near the end of the season for staging fish.  I know lots of guys had to grind this year mid summer on Ontario but when I finally showed up late August the fishing was pretty targeted and quite good for both 2 year olds and stagers.  No doubt I'll find the 1000 bucks when I find the fishing really slows down.

Edited by porkpie