Surprise NorthEastern GB Fish while fishing Musky

farsider

Got out last weekend for a day of Musky fishing with a buddy.

On the Pickerel river east of 69.   No Musky seen or caught.  The water was as high as we have ever seen it.  Stark contrast to only a few months ago when it was the lowest we have ever seen it.  A little bit of snow and a lot of wind off and on all day.

Buddy caught a total surprise of a male Salmon on his larger Jake/Grandma style bait while trolling.  About a 6-8lber.  No gut to speak of.   Probably been in the river, not eating and  moving up for a month.  Not a full boot yet but, definitely getting there.  More shoe than boot.  Seemed late for him too.

First one for us in that area.

New technique for river males?   They are always nipping and pushing and jockeying with other males/fish for position.  Size up to the 10" baits.

Cheers,

Mark

A few GBAY tribs have had a late run. There was one just a week and a half ago. Crazy fall this year. The thornbury ladder was stacked with huge salmon Sunday. Min 25 lbs. This was a big bunch of fish.

Edited by misfish

Bill, when I get a Salmon casting from the beach here on Erie I will say they are everywhere. I have seen everything imaginable in fresh water fish off the shore. No Musky, no Salmon. Even a Sturgeon was caught some years ago down the road, it was massive, made the Haldimand press, over 7' and over 300 lbs. Maybe more washed up than caught as it was on it's last fins.