salt water reel for muskie ?

muskybw

hello everyone---has anyone one out there used a daiwa BG-4000sw spinning reel for muskie hunting ? they hold a lot of heavy-duty line & a great drag system. i have 2 bait casters, i watched a u-tube video with a guy fighting & landing a 50 lb. tarpon with this spinning reel . i might buy one ???

A well built saltwater reel would handle a muskie fight with zero issues. Many 15-20lb saltwater fish fight harder and longer than any muskie that's ever swum, not even close. However that reel might not stand up to long term casting and reeling of the large muskie baits that are often used now. The salt water reel is also likely geared for fast lure retrieves that are needed for saltwater and that would work against you as well.

The Okuma Ceymar 65 is a big solid spinning reel that will work for musky. I have one strapped to a Ceymar inshore rod as a lender for anyone that's out musky hunting with me and is unfamiliar with casting reels. It's spooled up with 65lb braid. Makes a decent combo for under $200 and will handle big stuff pretty well! 

Josh 

I picked up 2 big Shimano saltwater spinning reels at a tackle swap in Pt, Charlotte Fla years ago. I don't fish for Musky but I use them trolling on Erie for Pics and Salmon. The only drawback is no line counters but no problem whatsoever dragging in 10 pound farm animals. If they can handle big old Grouper and Rays a Musky wouldn't be a problem with a good quality Offshore Saltwater spinning reel.

3 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

I picked up 2 big Shimano saltwater spinning reels at a tackle swap in Pt, Charlotte Fla years ago. I don't fish for Musky but I use them trolling on Erie for Pics and Salmon as well as Cats on the Grand. Easy to cast. The only drawback is no line counters , I have them spooled with 10 colours of leadcore but no problem whatsoever dragging in 10 pound farm animals. If they can handle big old Grouper and Rays a Musky wouldn't be a problem with a good quality Offshore Saltwater spinning reel.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

thanks old ironmaker,  i watched a couple of u-tube videos on the cape cod canal, using guppy pencil poppers with huge shimano spinning reels & big surf rods, fishing for stripers & blues. they were casting a mile with 40 lb. test. like casting in wide-open st.clair.

Cape Cod canal is where I fish. Wicked tide.

The standard are 11-12 rods. I tried a bunch and settled

on a 10 St Croix with the Shimano Ultera 5500.

It's beast of a stick.

There's a diawa  spinning reel you can dial 35 lbs of drag and fish Bluefin tuna.

Wicked Tuna style.

Edited by Garnet

5 hours ago, muskybw said:

hey LOU,  the c-3 works fine for me on that big nasty beach rod. the only thing is i'm 67 & throwing big m-baits on the heavy rod does me in before lunch. the afternoon is a daiwa 1300 ss on a 9 ft. loomis blank fishing walleyes ?

You'll want a big rod, 9ft + and a nice Tranx 500.   You'll last a lot longer with that setup I'm sure :)

I haven't been to Cape Cod for 2 years. Our last trip I was fishing the eastern gap.

Jetty like Bowmanville rocks throwing that pencil mid day sunny, I see a striper from about 40 ft away

coming . It plastid my pencil about 3 ft in the air. Took off on about a 50 ft circle and just hammered my plug.

About 30lb.

I need to get in shape throwing this stuff  every 3-4 cast take little break by the end of the 2 week I might be up to

10 cast. 

Got into a blitz on a beach have no idea how many I caught stripers up to 40 lbs.

Google Canal Bikes either side of the ditch has a walking/bicycle path guys ride up and down rod holders, baskets.

I had one for a couple trips didn't really work for me.

And the most fun trying to figure out tides no matter what you do today it will be different tomorrow.

My other bait is a 3 oz white bucktail with a strait tail trailer.

This type of equipment would be to much for musky.