Rod finish repair

jimmer

I have a couple of rods that I love, but noticed that the finish is chipped.  What do people use as a repair to bring their rods back to life? Does the rod have to be sanded before applying anything or do you just coat over top of the chips? Thanks

You can buy 2 part rod epoxy at most tackle shops that carry rod building supplies.  In the GTA that would be angling specialties.  If your in the Guelph/KW area the. Kingsway tackle should have it.  I've done it many times and I just paint it over top of the blemish.  Works good if you have the patience to rewrap a broken guide as well. I always have some around.  If you don't get the mix right, it will stay tacky for a long time though.

15 hours ago, porkpie said:

You can buy 2 part rod epoxy at most tackle shops that carry rod building supplies.  In the GTA that would be angling specialties.  If your in the Guelph/KW area the. Kingsway tackle should have it.  I've done it many times and I just paint it over top of the blemish.  Works good if you have the patience to rewrap a broken guide as well. I always have some around.  If you don't get the mix right, it will stay tacky for a long time though.

^^^This^^^

22 minutes ago, Spiel said:

Never the whole rod, only the area over the thread wraps that hold the guides on.

If you were closer, I'd fix it for you at no cost.

So there is nothing that can be applied to the whole rod?  The guides are fine, it's the rest of the rod that has chips showing up.  These are Shimano Crucial rods.

3 hours ago, jimmer said:

So there is nothing that can be applied to the whole rod?  The guides are fine, it's the rest of the rod that has chips showing up.  These are Shimano Crucial rods.

There are ways to refinish the entire blank but you really need to strip the guides and repaint or use a product such as Perma Gloss on it.

Not really any easy way to fix chips here and there though unless they are close enough to a guide or wrap so as not to look off if using epoxy rod finish. 

• Like 2