Nice day to be fishing!

jimmer

Well, a buddy and I decided to take advantage of the beautiful weather on Sunday and hit one of our favorite small lakes. We were targeting largemouth bass, but got into a couple of other species as well.  Funny how the largemouth were all caught within probably a couple hundred feet of each other.  We couldn't catch one anywhere else on the lake.  We did get into between 20 and 30 largemouth, so that was fun.  Nothing huge, but something pulling on the end of the line is better than nothing.  A twister tail was the go to bait for the day.  We also got into 4 lakers and only one smallie, which was strange, because we usually do alright with drop shotting for smallies. Not this day though.  I hope everyone else had a chance to take advantage of the nice day!

IMG_0008.JPG

IMG_0010.JPG

• Like 1

One other thing.  The day was very nice, but I had to remove my shoes and socks when pulling the boat out.  It was a little deeper than the boots I had with me. Man, was that ever cold, I could feel the burning start within a couple of minutes. I sure as heck would not want to fall in the water, life jacket or not.....

Just now, jimmer said:

One other thing.  The day was very nice, but I had to remove my shoes and socks when pulling the boat out.  It was a little deeper than the boots I had with me. Man, was that ever cold, I could feel the burning start within a couple of minutes. I sure as heck would not want to fall in the water, life jacket or not.....

I haven't had to get my feet wet in years, drive the boat on the trailer if permitted. If the ramp is soft material it is frowned upon. 

2 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

I haven't had to get my feet wet in years, drive the boat on the trailer if permitted. If the ramp is soft material it is frowned upon. 

I hear you, unfortunately these small lakes usually don't have more than a graded area to launch, probably why we were the only ones out there fishing. I need to get bigger boots....LOL

Very nice report; I'm living my fishing through these.

Please people keep them coming.

Without having a boat anymore, I'm waiting for hard water and getting my hut back out on Simcoe ice.  NO (or very little) snow but lots of -C° temps!!!

Dan.

4 hours ago, jimmer said:

That's not good....I hope everything is okay.

I tell everyone that will listen " Get older but don't get old." Getting old sucks. When I was working out in the gym up to 5 days a week and lugging a Staff bag around for 18 holes on the course the other 2 days I knew I would always be fit. Nope. When I start to snivel I think about all the little Angels at the Children's Hospital.

water temps? our bass fishery is almost toast for the year water temps down to 43 this weekend. crazy enough weve found some resident bass where we pickerel fish, but all of my typical main lake stuff is dead as a door nail they are done for the year. 

Ive been reading a few articles about bass in the fall and winter and how very very specific areas become the wintering holes and on some lakes you literally will find the entire population of bass in one spot. Sounds like you found where the bass are posting up for the winter.

Even more interesting the article said that if you move these bass off of their winter holes for a tournament or whatever, they basically have a higher than 50% mortality rate because they cant get back on their own again and dont have the energy to survive the winter. Crazy!

12 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

I tell everyone that will listen " Get older but don't get old." Getting old sucks. When I was working out in the gym up to 5 days a week and lugging a Staff bag around for 18 holes on the course the other 2 days I knew I would always be fit. Nope. When I start to snivel I think about all the little Angels at the Children's Hospital.

Yep...I keep telling the wife...Don't get old...It hurts too much !

1 hour ago, AKRISONER said:

water temps? our bass fishery is almost toast for the year water temps down to 43 this weekend. crazy enough weve found some resident bass where we pickerel fish, but all of my typical main lake stuff is dead as a door nail they are done for the year. 

Ive been reading a few articles about bass in the fall and winter and how very very specific areas become the wintering holes and on some lakes you literally will find the entire population of bass in one spot. Sounds like you found where the bass are posting up for the winter.

Even more interesting the article said that if you move these bass off of their winter holes for a tournament or whatever, they basically have a higher than 50% mortality rate because they cant get back on their own again and dont have the energy to survive the winter. Crazy!

Yes, we actually know the wintering spot and go back every year for the end of season bonanza. It still doesn't make sense to me on such a small lake, then again, I'm not a fish. They are in the feeding mode though.

22 minutes ago, Jds63 said:

Lakers and largemouth sounds like a fantastic day  ... I was raking leaves as well ... LOL

how deep were the lakers ? did you catch them on the dropshot as well ?

We caught most of the fish on a jig with a twister tail.  (bass and trout) The trout we caught in basically 6 - 20 feet of water.

4 hours ago, Jds63 said:

Lakers and largemouth sounds like a fantastic day  ... I was raking leaves as well ... LOL

how deep were the lakers ? did you catch them on the dropshot as well ?

My Brother in Law has a fairly large landscaping business in Halifax. The 1st time he came for a visit he wanted to know what those people are doing raking leaves up. He said the best thing for our lawns to start a strong spring groth of grass is leave the leaves right where they are. I haven't racked a leaf in 18 years. I haven't had to fertilize since. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

My Brother in Law has a fairly large landscaping business in Halifax. The 1st time he came for a visit he wanted to know what those people are doing raking leaves up. He said the best thing for our lawns to start a strong spring groth of grass is leave the leaves right where they are. I haven't racked a leaf in 18 years. I haven't had to fertilize since. 

LOL That's my thinking as well. 

In my customer waiting room I have 5 potted plants. Some of my customers want to clean out the pots of the dead leaves and whatnot. I tell them to go for it; I've left them as they are; automatic/organic composting???? LOL

Dan.

Edited by DanD