Mepps

Eazy

Mepps spinners have proven themselves to be a top notch spinner in my experience regarding steelhead fishing, but over the past couple years I've been having the hooks break when unhooking fish. This is the only spinner that I've had the hooks break, which is very disappointing especially when they're the hooks with the nice piece of brightly colored tubing on the treble!

Do any other fellow anglers have this same problem?

20181102_084840.jpg

20181019_132814.jpg

Edited by Eazy
Change

I generally replaced most Mepps wire hooks with a better quality. Yes Mepps are a thinner gauge hook sand more pliable I found. I checked first the weight and profile to match as close as possible. It didn't seem to work any less. Everything from Panfish to my 1st Musky on a # 5 Mepps. Black Fury is my favorite. 

Mepps used to be the only thing in my tackle box when I was a kid, other than a Jitterbug and Zara Spook.  I didn't realize you trout guys were still using them. I do remember my brother catching a rainbow on one when no one else could catch a cold on that day.

I agree with David regarding the double loons.

Vibrax have always been quality, however mepps had always been my go to as I really like their dressed vs most others.  I have found issues with the hooks breaking after several fish , it appears as tho there is always one weaker prong hook of the 3.  For me, it’s never on a new lure, usually one which has caught many fish and seen many pliers.  

• Like 1